Twister Sister Summary - Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire!

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Ok, here's the box score from the OU game, where Ryan played relatively well from a statistics perspective but the team still got dominated. I understand +/- isn't the be all end all statistic, but it's an interesting part of the story. Emily was -10 in 27 minutes while Ariana was -7 in 20 minutes.

Message boards are a fun way to spend the time between games, engaging in exchange of opinions. I'm just trying to spur some discussion while we all wait for Saturday at Texas! Go State!
I mean I guess if you want to look at 1 stat line, that is a really gray area what it really means, great. I just have never thought of the +/- stat to really say a lot about an individual player, and choose too look at the overall contribution to the team, through all stats and what they bring to the team in other areas, leadership, experience, etc.

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
Dont think you can look at 1 game where she had an off night shooting. (still scored 12 pts, by being perfect at the line.)

She had 12 assists, more than double anyone else on the team, hell either team, although 1 KS player had just over half the assists at 7.

Im all for the new players etc, but 1 player with all that experience is a big deal, with all the other young players. That experience is hard to replace.
Leadership dosent always show up on the state sheet

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I mean I guess if you want to look at 1 stat line, that is a really gray area what it really means, great. I just have never thought of the +/- stat to really say a lot about an individual player, and choose too look at the overall contribution to the team, through all stats and what they bring to the team in other areas, leadership, experience, etc.

It's a garbage stat used to prove points that other stats or the "eye" don't support. I rarely pay attention to it. It's a what happened when you were in the game like it was a one-on-one versus the other team and the other four players didn't matter.

I am saying that and I've never been a big fan of Ryan. Just haven't been. Good player and appreciate and respect her play at ISU but she's just never resonated with me as someone I'd tune in to watch.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It's a garbage stat used to prove points that other stats or the "eye" don't support. I rarely pay attention to it. It's a what happened when you were in the game like it was a one-on-one versus the other team and the other four players didn't matter.

I am saying that and I've never been a big fan of Ryan. Just haven't been. Good player and appreciate and respect her play at ISU but she's just never resonated with me as someone I'd tune in to watch.
I just feel her leadership and how she sees the floor and distributes the ball has been important for this team this year.

I think she is a great player, maybe not the best, but as a point guard she does a really great job. She has a good head on her shoulders and it shows in games how she maintains her calm during games.

I think the younger players really look up to her. And her love for ISU and how she stayed the course when so many left, you have to commend her for it, and give her every opportunity as she deserves it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We DO love them.

We want them here, we want to nurture their growth, and if blowing kisses is their response, that is wonderful.

This freshman group has more fun than most during the game, Audi and Addy both have big personalities and skills to back it up. They've been a pleasure to watch this season.

Reactions: barometriclow

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
What a crazy time the past few weeks have been. Ever since the accursed TCU screwed up the Sisters' mojo by forfeiting, Nothing much has gone right. Going into this week we knew what a daunting task the Sisters faced with two top ten teams on the schedule.

This may sound crazy, but when I saw that Lee was back for KSU I actually felt better. This would "force" them to play with a traditional center rather than utilizing more of a five guard system. Right out of the gates tonight, the sisters had a different look to them. First and foremost, the leaky zone was replaced by a sticky man defense that clearly flustered the Wildcats. Through the first quarter those cats only shot a below average 35%. Lee was showing a bit of rust as she didn't find her range until the second half. On the offensive end what we saw was motion. Lots of motion and passing. This opened up looks that we took advantage of. After battling back and forth for a period of time, the Sisters slowly created a gap. Next thing you know the lead was ten points and then twelve as the ladies moved out to an early 18-6 score. KSU would answer behind a couple of treys, but as they closed, the Sisters would respond themselves and hold a 23-16 lead at the end of one.

The fireworks on offense and defense really began in the second. The defense ratcheted up and held the cats to 21% shooting (4-19) while hitting a a fiery pace on the other end. The lead slowly crept upward as time and again the Cats were one and done. What was clear was the Cyclones had come to play. It was as if a light switch had been clicked and no number in front of the opponent's name made any difference. We were back to the "no back down" Cyclones we were used to earlier in the season. By the end of two the ladies were in firm control leading 39-26. Anyone in the stadium would confirm the ladies dominated the first half in every way except turnovers. Yes, the only downside was having 11 turnovers at the half. Most on truly bizarro passes.

We knew KSU was too good to take things idly and drift away. We knew they would make a run. At the beginning of the third quarter our defense wasn't as sticky and the offense was rather a mess. That 13 point lead was narrowed slowly but surely as the Cats crept closer hitting treys and driving for layups. But the sisters wouldn't break. KSU would outscore the sisters by 9, holding our ladies in red to only 15 points on 3-10 shooting. There was a key factor taking place though. On a night when the officiating was truly horrendous, the blatant fouls that were called started putting ISU at the line. In the third they hit 8-12 free throws. Folks..that was the worst they shot free throws the entire night. After a gut wrenching third seeing the Cats claw back in, ISU still led 54-50 when the clock hit zero.

The fireworks really began in the fourth. KSU would complete the comeback and actually take the lead on a few occasions. BUT, these ladies just wouldn't back down. Lee was scoring inside. Sundell was making baseline moves for baskets that left our defenders looking like their feet were in the La Brea tar pits. But we got enough stops. On the other end our offense answered back. If KSU led by one the sisters would score to retake the lead. If the Cats led by three, the sisters would get a stop and go to the line to even things up again. The fourth was a battle royale if there ever was one. If I said KSU shot nearly 70% in the fourth you'd think they walked away with the game. But they didn't. Our ladies weren't backing down. End of regulation saw the score knotted up at 72 each.

It's a rarity to attend an overtime game involving the sisters. It just doesn't happen very often. What we saw in OT number one was more of the battle. Each team scratching away to score, play defense, and maintain the status quo. Back and forth the game would go and we would see KSU gain a small lead and each time the sisters would answer. Free throws would be our salvation. While the Cats hit three more shots than the sisters, our ladies at the line would be perfect at the charity stripe. Add to it that KSU was in foul trouble. We would end up seeing one of their top scorers (and who victimized us on the baseline over and over) Sundell foul out of the game. At the end of OT the score was tied again at 80.

In a bit of a change, the second OT actually saw ISU start to be the team that would scratch out a tiny lead. Whether it was one point or three, they fought, drove, crashed to the floor and hit free throws with absolute perfection. Whether it was Ryan, Brown or AJ. No one missed. Every time KSU would score, the sisters would either score or get fouled. Those foul shots would continually push the lead back to three forcing KSU to play offense differently. Back and forth from a 1 point lead to three. I swear the last 12 seconds of the game took twenty minutes. KSU would take about 2 seconds to score. ISU would get fouled. Repeat. It was those free throws that put us over the top and KSU couldn't find the magical shot to close the gap. The sisters would win the first (in my memory) double OT game in Hilton 96-93. In his post game comments Coach Fen said he told the ladies this game was one of the best he had ever seen and was on the level of a second round NCAA game.

Observations
POG - this has to be something different. So, I'm going to say every single person who hit a free throw. The ladies would make a monster 31 out of 36 attempts (86%) on the evening. The player post game mentioned that they shoot free throws 15-20 minutes every single practice. It paid off big time today as our ladies were like ice at the line.

Crooks - She should get an award just for the bruises she must have all over her body. Lee beat her up and down all night, but she played the All American to a true draw. Both only hit 8 shots out of about 20 on the night. Both would hit four free throws. Crooks would have 9 boards to Lee's 6. This was a battle and our freshman acquitted herself rather nicely. Add in a couple of tipped passes for steals and that is icing on the cake.

Natabou - best freaking game of her time here at ISU. Eleven plus minutes of rest time for Crooks and all she did was play solid D, hit for ten points and not turn the ball over once.

Diew - another solid game. I mentioned she was playing well in the game thread and she did. 3-4 from the field for 7 big points.

AJ - defense was her contribution tonight. She was quick enough to stay with KSU all night. Six points, 5 boards, 5 assists, 5 fouls and forced 5 fouls. Gutsy game. She adds so much energy to the team when she is on the floor.

Belanger - A little rough night shooting and her foot speed (or lack thereof) hurt at times on defense. But when it came to ball movement she helped make things happen.

Brown - Early on...actually into the second half...she was struggling on offense. Still turning the ball over. Not hitting shots. But when the rubber needed to hit the road she was there. Solid night from the field and absolutely perfect from the line (8-8). Five assists helped although she had six total turnovers.

Ryan - tonight she couldn't buy a basket if you tied a string to the ball and ran it through the hoop (1-14). But when it came to distributing the ball and getting to the line she was a perfect ten. Total of 12 assists on the night. How about more perfection at the line (10-10) especially when we needed her most. We don't win without her.

Bristow - apparently she was hurt in practice and they purposely limited her minutes.

Joens - I saved her for last. She is the energizer bunny of this team. She's seemingly everywhere. Need a rebound? She'll grab it for you (she had 7 on the night). Need a bucket? She'll get you one (3-5 with all being treys). How about that old free throw line? Yep, perfection (4-4). Great all around game for her.

Turnovers - the bug hit in the first half (11), but calmed down in the second and completely disappeared in the OT periods.

Free Throws - Again a whopping 31-36 on the night. Holy cow. You get that many for two reasons. Hustle and sacrificing your body.

Three pointers - the streak continues and the ladies made a very nice 9-19 (almost 50%) on the evening.

BIG STAT - Rebounding - our last two losses were the first two times this entire season when we had been out rebounded. Not tonight. Ladies dominated the Cats 47-39.

It's hard to describe what we saw tonight. I have to give the coaches a TON of credit. They switched things up on defense going to man defense while brilliantly switching players in and out to keep legs fresh. The ladies showed they could play this defense as good as anybody. The grit and determination we observed in Hilton was mind-blowing. KSU is a VERY good team. ISU happened to show that we can be too. In the end I hope the light has clicked on again and the ladies can start pulling some wins together. They have another top ten opponent on the road Saturday at Texas. The team we saw again tonight can play with and beat any team remaining. I hope a corner has been turned. Rest well tonight ladies. You deserve it.
Joens played way too much Olay defense for my liking. I have a feeling that's why she doesn't see more playing time. If she tightens that up, we may have something there.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My 2 cents worth on the game.

Did we see the two best centers in the Big 12 go toe to toe with each other and not be able to tell who is #1 and who is #2?

Energy and motivation was very evident from this team. Rebounding showed it.

I thought coach did an excellent job calling plays, although at times if felt like K-State was dictating what personnel would be out there and B.F. was trying to match up. I also enjoyed the "max effort/energy" from the guards and forwards and rapid substitution. Seems like it was a go as hard as you can for a couple minutes and take a break. This worked because everyone bought in.

Crowd was awesome. At one time in OT my watch was reading 95db, Good for any game, over the moon for a wendsnday night at half capacity. At the end it was a game of "who wants it more" I think the crowd gave the ladies a little extra boost.

Last note, can Addy and Emily teach the men how to shoot free throws?

So do you take your fancy watch to the men's games? what's the highest # you've ever seen there? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reactions: acoustimac

Hestia_Abnegation11

Oct 29, 2017
I just feel her leadership and how she sees the floor and distributes the ball has been important for this team this year.

I think she is a great player, maybe not the best, but as a point guard she does a really great job. She has a good head on her shoulders and it shows in games how she maintains her calm during games.

I think the younger players really look up to her. And her love for ISU and how she stayed the course when so many left, you have to commend her for it, and give her every opportunity as she deserves it.
We talk a lot about men's players who bleed Iowa State - and they do. I don't know if anyone's bled Iowa State cardinal and gold more than Emily Ryan. She's a great player, a great person, and an even better leader. As long as she wants to be here, she's earned her place and more. I don't know if these freshmen get to this point without her.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
What is the story behind the gym, I'm out of the loop.
Lyndsey Fennelly has a basketball training company (Elite 360) and a new gym (Overtime Gym).

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
It's a garbage stat used to prove points that other stats or the "eye" don't support.
Seems a bit harsh! I specifically said it’s not the “be all end all” stat, but it’s not “garbage” either. It’s been in NBA box scores for years so obviously people see some merit. I’ll stop now because sentimentality blinds people on this topic.

Reactions: wbbnut

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
So do you take your fancy watch to the men's games? what's the highest # you've ever seen there? Inquiring minds want to know.
loudest I have experienced is 120db. It was F****n AWESOME!!!! FWIW Iowa State is undefeated in Hilton with volumes reaching 100 db at any point in the game.

Buckminster

Nov 10, 2017
This is an aside, but I've listened to 3-4 radio calls this year, and my goodness does she like to complain about the officiating. It's hard to listen to.
I can't stand it and don't listen to our radio broadcasts any more. I also have stopped listening to the post-game interviews because her questions seem to ramble on for a minute.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I can't stand it and don't listen to our radio broadcasts any more. I also have stopped listening to the post-game interviews because her questions seem to ramble on for a minute.
I hear and understand what you're saying but, I love Jamie. She's a big homer and goes over the top at times. I like having a team insider on the radio and I think she knows basketball. She'll mellow out, it's her first full time year.

Remember Richie was famous for complaining about the refs too. Molly had to settle him down many times :)

• Agree
Reactions: wbbnut and NWICY