Twister Sister Summary - Season ends with loss to Marist

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The end of the season. This one a bit earlier than what we are used to, but perhaps not surprising considering how the season as a whole went.

Before I go further let me get the really important stuff out of the way. Kelsey Bolte…thank you. You've been an outstanding Cyclone and have contributed to the success of this program for four years. You were a great Captain this year and your hard work in changing your game illustrated your commitment. Also, I want to give credit to Marist. They are what the Sisters used to be…a well disciplined team that was composed of parts that blended to make the team imposing.

The end to this season was, perhaps, fitting considering the Jeckyl/Hyde personality of this year's women's basketball team. We saw highs and lows, all too often in the same game. Consistency is not a word I would use to describe this team unless you wanted to say they were consistently inconsistent.

As with most of this season the game was one of halves. We always seemed to have a team that would underperform in one half and come out flying in the other. Sometimes you would see a team that just couldn't get its act together long enough to keep from imploding. That was the team we saw today. Yes, I give credit to Marist. A tough, scrappy squad that we would be proud of. But this is about our ladies. The first half was all about Marist seemingly hitting nearly every three they threw up while the Sisters couldn't buy a basket from a street vendor. Bolt wasn't hitting. We were missing layup after layup (another recurrent theme this year) and the turnovers killed us. Rich stated on the post game show that our turnovers led to something like 26 points for Marist. Their turnovers led to four for us. Does that tell you anything? You also have to take into consideration the damage a turnover does. Not only does the other team score, but you lose the opportunity.

Throughout the game I watched as our players literally threw the ball to Marist players. We tried to put it in places it wouldn't fit on a good day. Sometimes it was lack of focus. Two of the worst were in the second half. Example one - we get a stop on the defensive end and Pop gets the rebound. As she goes to make a "lazy" pass the only player for Marist on that end of the court takes it away then scoots right by Pop for an easy layup. Example two - we are scrapping for a three point shot and the ball finally gets into Bolts hands. As she comes around the top of the key the Marist post player steals the ball from her. Sigh…that is just how this game went. Marist exposed every one of our weaknesses. The tendency to turn the ball over. Not having outside shooters. Having posts with weak hands. Perhaps the most glaring weakness was team speed. They made us look like plodders on the court. They ran past us, drove around us, and pretty much had their way with us. This was most apparent during their 25-4 run in the first half, but it didn't stop there.

The biggest offenders were our post players. People might look at the line score and see that AP was high scorer (as she should have been) and had 11 boards and think "what a game!" Instead I keep seeing the same thing commented on in the post game show - missed layups. All season (actually two seasons now) we've seen AP and Pop not finish close in. Prins picked up half of her points at the line today. The majority of her misses were from point blank range. At one point Coach F. was so angry he started to get in her face and wow…she turned her back on him. That didn't look good to me. This is one of the very big issues (missed layups) that has to be corrected in both AP and Pop's games. Too many times they got the ball down low and either missed or turned it over (5 each). That is unacceptable even when you score 25 points. With our size advantage AP should have had 40 points.

Bolt had a rough day although she did score 18, but was a sad 2-9 from 3 point land. She fought and scrapped like a senior captain would, but with no scoring support it was tough on her. The toughest part of the game was the poor play of the guards. Loz - missed every shot from the field (only taking 4), had only 2 assists and 2 turnovers. Not good. Cole - one basket, 3 assists. Again, not good.

The second half saw Marist cool of considerably from deep. Overcoming a 15 point halftime deficit is always tough and as we crept closer, they kept getting either a turnover, a missed shot by us and a convenient basket to keep us at bay. It definitely got exciting though as with four minutes left ISU pulled within six. You could just feel it happening. You could see Marist starting to feel the pressure. We were stopping them and getting some baskets ourselves, but alas we also missed too many opportunities when it got close. Missed shots, defensive breakdowns and boom it was 12 points again. We were done and you could see the energy just disappear from a team so fatigued from making another comeback push.

It's scary to look ahead. We have four freshmen coming in of which we might expect 1-2 to be contributors right away. We had better hope the are anyway. This team is losing its top scorer and we no one coming back that is a consistent scoring threat. Every player on the squad has shown flashes of brightness and fallen into the depths of the abyss. No consistency. All we have going into next year is hope. We have to hope no one transfers. The rumors are flying about Zimm leaving. The back turning by AP might be a non-event, but you have to wonder how much the players are willing to take of Coach F's sideline rants. Who is going to go the extra mile in the off-season to better their game like Bolt did? We need players willing to take the shots with confidence. To work on their footwork. To get stronger. To get nastier (except Pop!). What will the freshmen bring to the team?

I watched several teams in the Big 12 and NCAA tourney and one thing I saw that was missing this year was movement. The really good teams were constantly on the go when they were on offense. Cutting, picking, slashing…they wore defenses down. Green Bay is like that. Marist is like that. Even K-State when they beat us was like that. What I saw from this squad was too much standing as if waiting for someone else to make something happen. We had one senior captain this year. Next year, we need more players take ownership in making it happen or it could prove to be a very long campaign as we play a full round robin in the Big-12.

Somehow I'm glad the season has come to a close. I'll miss Bolt. Great, pure shooter. I just won't miss the lack of consistency and the frustration I'm sure that was experienced by this team. 22-11. Good season. Ranks with some of the "average" squads of Coach Fennelly's era. Did some good things, but too few great things. Yet, the bottom line was and is - they were our Twister Sisters. We still love 'em and we'll be back again next year to lend our support.

Signing off….

NYCy

Feb 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I got a knot in my stomach when the first few possessions went like this:

- Schroll missed layup

- Prins made layup

- Poppens bricked 3-pointer (led to Marist 3-pointer at other end)

- Mansfield turnover (led to Marist 3-pointer at other end)

- Schroll bricked 3-pointer

- Prins missed layup

- Schroll second found, left the game

It showed in the first two minutes of the game that Marist was totally aware that Poppens and Schroll cannot shoot and they left them wide open. I also heared the Marist coach yell at one of his players in the first few minutes that she was guarding Cole too close ("she's not a shooter -- back up!").

If it's any consolation, IOWA LOST TO #11 SEED GONZAGA!!!

NYCy

Feb 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Isn't it nice (seriously!) that we find a 22-11 record depressing? This just illustrates how far we've come under Coach Fennelly's leadership.

Thanks acoustimac! You are correct, of course, we have higher standards now and expect the Sweet 16.... I'm just allowing myself a few hours and a few beers to wallow in my humble midwestern self pity and Garrison Keillor-esque situational depression. I'll probably be better tomorrow. XOXO

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

- Schroll missed layup

- Prins made layup

- Prins missed layup

It showed in the first two minutes of the game that Marist was totally aware that Poppens and Schroll cannot shoot and they left them wide open. I also heared the Marist coach yell at one of his players in the first few minutes that she was guarding Cole too close ("she's not a shooter -- back up!").

THey should practice their shooting in the off season.

Marist beats Iowa State in NCAA opener - Omaha.com

imaclone2

Jun 7, 2008
We played like it was our 1st scrimmage and Marist played like a team wanting to win its' 27th consecutive game. Hope we find a way to reduce the turnovers next year.

- Schroll missed layup

- Prins made layup

- Prins missed layup

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks acoustimac! You are correct, of course, we have higher standards now and expect the Sweet 16.... I'm just allowing myself a few hours and a few beers to wallow in my humble midwestern self pity and Garrison Keillor-esque situational depression. I'll probably be better tomorrow. XOXO

I thought it was just me! :sad:

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Acoustimac covered almost everything as usual but I also thought I saw a real reluctance from everybody, including Bolt -- to shoot. Schroll and Pop tried one each from three-point land and then put away their artillery. I'm surprised to learn that Lauren had four shots; I can't remember any.

I will credit the turnovers to us trying too hard for the clearly open shot. That was going to be tough because Marist -- intelligently -- let Poppins and Cole roam alone outside the paint putting five defenders on three (or even only two) potential shooters.

I know it is easy to criticize and I apologize if this seems like criticism. I don't mean to demean the Sisters' effort. I just want to see them come flying down court and letting the ball fly. We don't need no stinkin' shot clock. If we miss and get the rebound, then we set up the play. If we miss and don't get the rebound, let's push them to the outside.

NYCy

Feb 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Everyone should watch the post-game player press conference with Bolte and Prins, especially the part when Prins said she wants to be "exactly like that" in referring to Bolte's senior leadership. It it tear-jerking and will remind you why we love these players so much, and why they love being Cyclones so much.

Reactions: simville02

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Now sit and wait for for the possible Zimm transfer which I hope does not happen.

Why do you want Z to transfer? You are always bringing up the idea she is leaving and then act like it bothers you. There is a need and place for Z on this team and she will work over the summer to fine tune the needed skills for that place.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I hope the talk of Z transferring is crazy. She could have a spot on this team. It may not be starting, but a great role spot. Everybody has to have a role. I think she needs to work on quickness in the off-season. If she defends better, she's out there. She can play on the arc and hit big shots, and she's not afraid to do it. That's refreshing on this team. Seemed like she battled injury and illness this year a bit.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Why do you want Z to transfer? You are always bringing up the idea she is leaving and then act like it bothers you. There is a need and place for Z on this team and she will work over the summer to fine tune the needed skills for that place.

He said that he hopes it doesn't happen. I also hope it doesn't happen. She played a huge role as a freshman and then as a soph gets no PT and I know if Z played more this season maybe we would of had a better season.

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The end of the season. This one a bit earlier than what we are used to, but perhaps not surprising considering how the season as a whole went.

Before I go further let me get the really important stuff out of the way. Kelsey Bolte…thank you. You've been an outstanding Cyclone and have contributed to the success of this program for four years. You were a great Captain this year and your hard work in changing your game illustrated your commitment. Also, I want to give credit to Marist. They are what the Sisters used to be…a well disciplined team that was composed of parts that blended to make the team imposing.

The end to this season was, perhaps, fitting considering the Jeckyl/Hyde personality of this year's women's basketball team. We saw highs and lows, all too often in the same game. Consistency is not a word I would use to describe this team unless you wanted to say they were consistently inconsistent.

As with most of this season the game was one of halves. We always seemed to have a team that would underperform in one half and come out flying in the other. Sometimes you would see a team that just couldn't get its act together long enough to keep from imploding. That was the team we saw today. Yes, I give credit to Marist. A tough, scrappy squad that we would be proud of. But this is about our ladies. The first half was all about Marist seemingly hitting nearly every three they threw up while the Sisters couldn't buy a basket from a street vendor. Bolt wasn't hitting. We were missing layup after layup (another recurrent theme this year) and the turnovers killed us. Rich stated on the post game show that our turnovers led to something like 26 points for Marist. Their turnovers led to four for us. Does that tell you anything? You also have to take into consideration the damage a turnover does. Not only does the other team score, but you lose the opportunity.

Throughout the game I watched as our players literally threw the ball to Marist players. We tried to put it in places it wouldn't fit on a good day. Sometimes it was lack of focus. Two of the worst were in the second half. Example one - we get a stop on the defensive end and Pop gets the rebound. As she goes to make a "lazy" pass the only player for Marist on that end of the court takes it away then scoots right by Pop for an easy layup. Example two - we are scrapping for a three point shot and the ball finally gets into Bolts hands. As she comes around the top of the key the Marist post player steals the ball from her. Sigh…that is just how this game went. Marist exposed every one of our weaknesses. The tendency to turn the ball over. Not having outside shooters. Having posts with weak hands. Perhaps the most glaring weakness was team speed. They made us look like plodders on the court. They ran past us, drove around us, and pretty much had their way with us. This was most apparent during their 25-4 run in the first half, but it didn't stop there.

The biggest offenders were our post players. People might look at the line score and see that AP was high scorer (as she should have been) and had 11 boards and think "what a game!" Instead I keep seeing the same thing commented on in the post game show - missed layups. All season (actually two seasons now) we've seen AP and Pop not finish close in. Prins picked up half of her points at the line today. The majority of her misses were from point blank range. At one point Coach F. was so angry he started to get in her face and wow…she turned her back on him. That didn't look good to me. This is one of the very big issues (missed layups) that has to be corrected in both AP and Pop's games. Too many times they got the ball down low and either missed or turned it over (5 each). That is unacceptable even when you score 25 points. With our size advantage AP should have had 40 points.

Bolt had a rough day although she did score 18, but was a sad 2-9 from 3 point land. She fought and scrapped like a senior captain would, but with no scoring support it was tough on her. The toughest part of the game was the poor play of the guards. Loz - missed every shot from the field (only taking 4), had only 2 assists and 2 turnovers. Not good. Cole - one basket, 3 assists. Again, not good.

The second half saw Marist cool of considerably from deep. Overcoming a 15 point halftime deficit is always tough and as we crept closer, they kept getting either a turnover, a missed shot by us and a convenient basket to keep us at bay. It definitely got exciting though as with four minutes left ISU pulled within six. You could just feel it happening. You could see Marist starting to feel the pressure. We were stopping them and getting some baskets ourselves, but alas we also missed too many opportunities when it got close. Missed shots, defensive breakdowns and boom it was 12 points again. We were done and you could see the energy just disappear from a team so fatigued from making another comeback push.

It's scary to look ahead. We have four freshmen coming in of which we might expect 1-2 to be contributors right away. We had better hope the are anyway. This team is losing its top scorer and we no one coming back that is a consistent scoring threat. Every player on the squad has shown flashes of brightness and fallen into the depths of the abyss. No consistency. All we have going into next year is hope. We have to hope no one transfers. The rumors are flying about Zimm leaving. The back turning by AP might be a non-event, but you have to wonder how much the players are willing to take of Coach F's sideline rants. Who is going to go the extra mile in the off-season to better their game like Bolt did? We need players willing to take the shots with confidence. To work on their footwork. To get stronger. To get nastier (except Pop!). What will the freshmen bring to the team?

I watched several teams in the Big 12 and NCAA tourney and one thing I saw that was missing this year was movement. The really good teams were constantly on the go when they were on offense. Cutting, picking, slashing…they wore defenses down. Green Bay is like that. Marist is like that. Even K-State when they beat us was like that. What I saw from this squad was too much standing as if waiting for someone else to make something happen. We had one senior captain this year. Next year, we need more players take ownership in making it happen or it could prove to be a very long campaign as we play a full round robin in the Big-12.

Somehow I'm glad the season has come to a close. I'll miss Bolt. Great, pure shooter. I just won't miss the lack of consistency and the frustration I'm sure that was experienced by this team. 22-11. Good season. Ranks with some of the "average" squads of Coach Fennelly's era. Did some good things, but too few great things. Yet, the bottom line was and is - they were our Twister Sisters. We still love 'em and we'll be back again next year to lend our support.

Signing off….

Lack of three point shooters and very S l o w footspeed and quickness did us in. Our girls run like they are in molasses. You can teach skills.......you can't teach speed. Terrible hand eye coordination as in can't hold on to the ball equals turnovers. Truth was and is, while we love them dearly they are NOT very good.

BF can yell and scream all he wants. If a player ever turned her back on me I would bench her for the game and call it a day or season whatever. BF don't have to take that crap as he has earned the RIGHT to be who and what he is. IB

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
BF can yell and scream all he wants. If a player ever turned her back on me I would bench her for the game and call it a day or season whatever. BF don't have to take that crap as he has earned the RIGHT to be who and what he is. IB

Spoken by someone who likely has not been on the receiving end of one of his rants. They are frequently very personal - and often degrading.

It is NOT just part of the game.

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Spoken by someone who likely has not been on the receiving end of one of his rants. They are frequently very personal - and often degrading.

It is NOT just part of the game.

Constructive criticism. Now there is a play on words. there is NO such thing. Look up both definitions in the dictionary and see the conflict in those two words being used together.

I love it when a supervisor says, "now don't take this personally!" Well then, how do you want me to take it? Truth be known, if you don't take it personally it don't mean much. To take things personally means IMO, to take them to heart.

Again, BF can yell, scream, rant all he wants. As far as personal, If he is yelling at a certain individual it should be clear as to whom he is yelling at as just yelling for the sake of yelling would be fruitless. These girls while appreciated underachieved all year or perhaps they were just average to begin with. IB

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Players don't have to take demeaning and degrading rants from a coach either. It goes both ways.

Lack of three point shooters and very S l o w footspeed and quickness did us in. Our girls run like they are in molasses. You can teach skills.......you can't teach speed. Terrible hand eye coordination as in can't hold on to the ball equals turnovers. Truth was and is, while we love them dearly they are NOT very good.

You also can't yell or scream someone into being a better three-point shooter, or being faster, or having better hand/eye coordination. Unfortunately for ISU, the better athletes that possess these desired traits have multiple offers and can take a pass on the yelling and screaming...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron