Twister Sister Summary - Season ends with loss to Marist

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I can't find the quote, but Taylor Greenfield's statement that Tara's ability to be constructive while being calm during games impressed her, says it all.

Polarbears

Apr 10, 2009
I can't find the quote, but Taylor Greenfield's statement that Tara's ability to be constructive while being calm during games impressed her, says it all.

I agree, everyone has to look in the mirror at the end of the season, and decide how they need to improve over the off season. I don't know how BF would coach if he didn't do the old-school yelling thing, but he really has to look and see if we would be a better team with at least a little less of it. We have the potential to be a great, surprise team next year if everyone reduces one weakness and builds on one strength. I'm excited to see how it goes. Thank you Kelsey, and all the other seniors who gave us so many good times!

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
You can point to BF's record all you want, but I know for a fact that his antics and loose temper do not get the very most out of his players. He gets a lot out of them, more than most, but he does not get the very most. In the end they are scared and lacking confidence and it is evident.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Spoken by someone who likely has not been on the receiving end of one of his rants. They are frequently very personal - and often degrading.

It is NOT just part of the game.

Oh Booowhoooo, guess what, do your job and he won't yell at you.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Oh Booowhoooo, guess what, do your job and he won't yell at you.

I agree, some of you have been complaining about coach yelling forever. You know what else that needs to said about some of the players that nobody has ever dared say: the reason why some of them aren't as quick as some people would like or aren't as "athletic" is because they're carrying around too much weight. Yeah I said it.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
You can point to BF's record all you want, but I know for a fact that his antics and loose temper do not get the very most out of his players. He gets a lot out of them, more than most, but he does not get the very most. In the end they are scared and lacking confidence and it is evident.

I would not characterize any team but this one as being scared. I'm not a proponent of yelling either, BUT you can put all of this in a business perspective. I am expected to show up ready for work each day. I am expected to constantly work on getting better. If my supervisor tells me there are things that need to be improved upon during my annual review I do them. If I don't improve or don't meet expectations I expect to not have my job. In many ways scholarship sports are exactly like this. The athletes are expected to be ready to perform at the highest levels of their ability each and every game. When they are told in practice to do things they should do them. Our team has consistently been know as one that is ready according to the game plan the coaches present. As we have seen this year, there are players that are woefully inconsistent in their game day readiness and play. That is on their head to remedy that. When the coach meets with them in the off-season and gives them their summer workouts it again is on them to meet those expectations. When they show up in the fall for practice there should be marked improvement based on the summer workouts. Case in point - Pop's free throw shooting.

We are all sitting here being critical of how Coach Fennelly coaches and yet he is the one that is one of the most highly respected in his profession by his peers and former players. That speaks volumes. His point guards of the past could ridicule him if they felt how he treated them was as horrible as posters on here state. They don't. They praise him. A little bit of a paradox isn't it? Who's right - posters here or those that know him personally?

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Yelling is not the same as verbal abuse. In the workplace, this is called harassment.

I believe in his heart that he wants the players to be the best and wants the best for them in their lives, he breaks down crying when he talks about his seniors every year; that being said, I was personally offended when he hip bumped, or elbowed Anna last week. I really don't think he means anything by it, but it doesn't come across well, and its hard for some players to see past it.

My hope is that perhaps somewhere, someday, somehow he sees this, and adjusts his temperament.

Anna rocks, is my favorite player, and I am real excited to see how she develops over the next couple years without hindrance from knee pain or other ailments.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I think it works for some players, but other players crumble. The key is for the coach to identify who needs to be chewed, and who needs to be told. I think BF chooses the chewed option for every player, but I don't think that is the best way to get every player to respond. In the end results are what matters, and BF result's are unrivaled by most.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I think Bill is extremely passionate and competitive. Sometimes that bubbles over on gameday. I also think he is extremely grateful for the fan support our women receive, and he feels obligated to reward them with a great product. SO...when the girls sometimes fail to do the correct thing, he gets quite angry. Maybe he feels that they should know by now what they should be doing.
At the end of the day, im glad he is passionate about Iowa State and our fans. Sure, I could use less yelling, but, Im sure we could all stand to change something about ourselves. I certainly wouldnt trade BF for anyone.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
We are all sitting here being critical of how Coach Fennelly coaches and yet he is the one that is one of the most highly respected in his profession by his peers and former players. That speaks volumes. His point guards of the past could ridicule him if they felt how he treated them was as horrible as posters on here state. They don't. They praise him. A little bit of a paradox isn't it? Who's right - posters here or those that know him personally?

It would be an incorrect assumption that some of the posters here do not know players, past or present, or family/friends of players past/present. That includes recruits, recruits that chose not to come here, and players who left.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
It would be an incorrect assumption that some of the posters here do not know players, past or present, or family/friends of players past/present. That includes recruits, recruits that chose not to come here, and players who left.

This is right on. I have gotten to know some past players and their families over the years. This also means I gotten to see sides of BF that made me uncomfortable (i.e. language). That being said he is good guy, and a great coach.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb

You must be correct as you KNOW every player or recruit who has ever been in contact with this coaching staff as we can tell by your posts. No one makes a player come here or stay here, if they can not take Div 1 basketball go somewhere else. Some of you are always complaining about our players as they are not atheletic enough or can not shoot well enough but then you want them to bre treated with kid gloves, you can not have it both ways.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

Definitely agree. I was referring to those players that I know, that I've heard speak publicly and privately. I can't possibly speak for everyone, but in all the years I've been associated with the program I've never heard a bad word. Sure they say he pushes them hard. I've heard the term "love/hate" relationship from the likes of one of his star point guards. That's it. The only bad I've ever heard was when I used to teach at Drake and I heard from players there that they were told that Coach didn't like lesbians and was used as a recruiting pitch against him back in the 90's. Of course it wasn't true, but that's the worst I've ever heard.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron