Tyrese Haliburton Draft Stock Still on the Rise

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
With the Draft Lottery coming up this week and the NBA playoffs starting, interesting to see Tyrese's stock is still on the rise:

This first one has him going 6th to New York Knicks:

Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State

Tyrese Haliburton's offensive output increased exponentially during his second season with the Cyclones. His shot attempts went from 4.8 to 11.1 per game, but his efficiency remained strong, as he shot 50.4 percent from the field, including 41.9 percent on threes.

That type of scoring ability, without being one-dimensional (6.5 assists per game), would have made him a fringe first-round pick. But he's also showed himself as a multi-position defender who can handle an opponent's top outside scorer at the collegiate level.

Given the whole package, it's a bit surprising he was been projected as more of a fringe lottery selection early in the process. He's now pretty much a lottery lock, and it wouldn't be a surprise if he slides into the top five.

This next one has him going 7th to the Pistons:

7. Detroit Pistons: Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State

Measurables: 6-foot-5, 175 pounds
Team Needs
Detroit hit the reset button at the deadline, dealing away Andre Drummond and waiving Reggie Jackson. These two moves left the team with massive holes at point guard and center, to go with massive holes at the shooting guard and small forward positions.
Why Haliburton?

Detroit is on the cusp of a complete rebuild. They need to find players with star potential, although this isn’t the best draft for that. Haliburton is toolsey and there is a chance that his incredible skill set translates into something special at the next level. At worst, he’s likely a long term rotational player with starter potential in the league.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
With the Draft Lottery coming up this week and the NBA playoffs starting, interesting to see Tyrese's stock is still on the rise:

Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State

Tyrese Haliburton's offensive output increased exponentially during his second season with the Cyclones. His shot attempts went from 4.8 to 11.1 per game, but his efficiency remained strong, as he shot 50.4 percent from the field, including 41.9 percent on threes.

That type of scoring ability, without being one-dimensional (6.5 assists per game), would have made him a fringe first-round pick. But he's also showed himself as a multi-position defender who can handle an opponent's top outside scorer at the collegiate level.

Given the whole package, it's a bit surprising he was been projected as more of a fringe lottery selection early in the process. He's now pretty much a lottery lock, and it wouldn't be a surprise if he slides into the top five.
Top 5? My god...

Reactions: Aclone and aauummm

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I really hope the Warriors have bad luck in the lottery and get like the 6th pick and draft him. He could be outstanding with those shooters.

Reactions: Peter

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I really hope the Warriors have bad luck in the lottery and get like the 6th pick and draft him. He could be outstanding with those shooters.

You would figure the Warriors would try to flip that pick for some "win now" veterans. They have to try to maximize the window they have with Steph, Klay, and Draymond (which has proven it can win a championship on its own with a decent supporting cast). Waiting for Haliburton to be ready for that might not be in the cards.

Which is a shame, because he would fit right into their offense and "switch everything" defense. But trusting a 20-year old rookie to start or play frequently on a team of veterans and champions is a bit much.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

GS should be limited to #4 pick at worst. I think if they miss Wiseman or Edwards they likely end up with Tyrese (assuming they can't flip for a wing/big). Tyrese could end up being pretty good replacement for Shaun Livingston

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
CBS Sports' Kyle Boone has Tyrese as his top "riser" of late, going from his #9 prospect to his NUMBER THREE prospect. I'll admit that it's hard for me to not see Haliburton at least partially as that skinny freshman that didn't average in double figures and had a funny shot. That said, I see what pros see in him and this is supposed to be a weak draft. I hope he goes high in the draft - but not to career-killing NY Knicks, please - and makes a ton of money. Here's Kyle Boone's write-up on TH:

I've moved Iowa State star Tyrese Haliburton up six spots, from No. 9 to No. 3, because I know exactly what I'm going to get with him. He's a long and tenacious defender with a high basketball IQ who shoots it efficiently, projecting as an ideal two-way guard. Plus, character and work ethic checks are all coming back pristine for teams who have him on their radar.

"He's a pass-first guard," one scout told me recently. "Whatever team gets him, they're going to love what he brings as far as IQ and skill."

There are perhaps higher-upside prospects to consider who I have ranked lower than Haliburton -- namely James Wiseman and Anthony Edwards -- but he's going to be a safe pick (the safest among top 10 prospects?) because of his selfless style of play and immediate projectability as a role player. He'll need to land in the right situation to be successful -- and ideally that'd be a pairing alongside an initiator -- but I feel pretty confident he's going to be an efficient and successful NBA player in the same way he's been an efficient and successful college player the last two seasons.

NOTE: The draft lottery is on Thursday, AUG 20 so that should help to sort out mock draft boards a bit, anyway, based on teams' needs.

link: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-fallers-in-latest-top-100-prospect-rankings/

Reactions: Snydes and ILikeCy

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
You would figure the Warriors would try to flip that pick for some "win now" veterans. They have to try to maximize the window they have with Steph, Klay, and Draymond (which has proven it can win a championship on its own with a decent supporting cast). Waiting for Haliburton to be ready for that might not be in the cards.

Which is a shame, because he would fit right into their offense and "switch everything" defense. But trusting a 20-year old rookie to start or play frequently on a team of veterans and champions is a bit much.

Golden State is really limited by the salary cap, so it would be incredibly tough to find a trade where there math works. I think it’s much more likely that they try to improve with rotation-ready draft picks that are a bargain due to the rookie scale. And yes, I’m totally biased here.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Golden State is really limited by the salary cap, so it would be incredibly tough to find a trade where there math works. I think it’s much more likely that they try to improve with rotation-ready draft picks that are a bargain due to the rookie scale. And yes, I’m totally biased here.

You are right their cap is pretty nasty.

1597771749457.png

I thought they were going to try and do something to move Wiggins yet. That would help.

That being said, this lineup...

Curry
Thompson
Wiggins
Green
Looney

...would be a competitive starting five, even if it would have absolutely nothing behind it.

You are kind of right they only have two real avenues to improve...

(1.) Young recent draft picks performing way over the value of their rookie contracts.

(2.) Vets willing to take a pay cut in order to win a ring. Those "ring-chasing" veterans can be pretty useful (see Ray Allen late in his career in Miami), but lots of teams are going to be making a pitch for those guys.

Haliburton would fit in really nice there in that system... the two greatest shooters in NBA history to pass to... and he would fit right into a switch everything defense. Golden State would be a great landing spot for TH.

I just hope he is going to a competent franchise instead of Chicago or New York -- they kill young players' careers.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I don’t follow the NBA like I used to, but since Dad is in Tempe I’ve been following Phoenix some. What about the Suns?

Devin Booker looks like a good “play next to” for Tyrese, and Ayton and Oubre look (from a distance) like they complete the rest of 3/5 of a really nice starting roster.

Not sure where they’d get a quality 4 to close it out, but I’m more thinking about a good spot for Tyrese right now.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Just think the Cyclones in the NBA could be up to 9 next year.

4 guys are rotation players who have pretty dependable PT by this time.
THT and Shayok seem to be trending in an upward trajectory.
Burton is active for most games but inconsistent PT and numbers.
Naz is in the bubble which has to count for something.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Just think the Cyclones in the NBA could be up to 9 next year.

4 guys are rotation players who have pretty dependable PT by this time.
THT and Shayok seem to be trending in an upward trajectory.
Burton is active for most games but inconsistent PT and numbers.
Naz is in the bubble which has to count for something.
My prediction is 7. No NBA contract for Naz and Deonte plus the addition of Tyrese.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My prediction is 7. No NBA contract for Naz and Deonte plus the addition of Tyrese.

7 seems minimum but maybe most likely. I could see the 7 next year getting more minutes than the 8 this year though.

Depends on if you count the 2 way contracts. Is it that unlikely that Naz gets another 1 year 2-way deal?

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
7 seems minimum but maybe most likely. I could see the 7 next year getting more minutes than the 8 this year though.

Depends on if you count the 2 way contracts. Is it that unlikely that Naz gets another 1 year 2-way deal?
Well, I'm no expert on Indiana's situation but my instinct is that if they had thought Naz could develop more, he would've had a lot more minutes in meaningless bubble games and scrimmages. I think that those 2-way deals typically are for 1 year to see if they show a lot of progress. Then they usually upgrade to a full contract or move on to take a flyer on someone else.

Naz did a great job filling in when they had 2 injuries so the only reasons I could see to keep him on a 2-way is if they wanted him as an insurance policy or if they will be losing players to free agency and need a trusted body.

In the cases of Naz and Deonte, they might decide that they're at their ceiling so it might be better to use a bench spot on a younger player with an undefined upside.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. I'm basing that on how they were (or weren't) utilized by OKC and Indiana. Deonte got some minutes but only to rest everyone else and Naz got next to nothing in Orlando.

The late ending to the NBA probably eliminates their chances of finding a good overseas deal. Maybe they'll just play in the G League next year and hope to catch the eye of an NBA team or get a good overseas offer for the following season.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Well, I'm no expert on Indiana's situation but my instinct is that if they had thought Naz could develop more, he would've had a lot more minutes in meaningless bubble games and scrimmages. I think that those 2-way deals typically are for 1 year to see if they show a lot of progress. Then they usually upgrade to a full contract or move on to take a flyer on someone else.

Naz did a great job filling in when they had 2 injuries so the only reasons I could see to keep him on a 2-way is if they wanted him as an insurance policy or if they will be losing players to free agency and need a trusted body.

In the cases of Naz and Deonte, they might decide that they're at their ceiling so it might be better to use a bench spot on a younger player with an undefined upside.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. I'm basing that on how they were (or weren't) utilized by OKC and Indiana. Deonte got some minutes but only to rest everyone else and Naz got next to nothing in Orlando.

The late ending to the NBA probably eliminates their chances of finding a good overseas deal. Maybe they'll just play in the G League next year and hope to catch the eye of an NBA team or get a good overseas offer for the following season.

I think Naz has also dealt with some injuries of his own.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Because they have 2 picks in the top 17, I was really hoping the T-Wolves could nab the #1 spot and trade back for a top 7-10 pick and another pick in next years draft, to nab TH. But I think that is less likely now that his stock has stayed consistent or risen as we get closer to the draft.

This year being not as top heavy is a benefit to TH, but I think he would have been fringe lottery in most years. The lack of sure fire star at the top of these lists makes one think about who is willing to take a chance on LaMelo or Anthony Edwards, and who is more looking for a guy they know can provide consistent role player-to above average role player level play night in and night out from early on. Which I think is where TH, Killian Hayes, Okoro, and the like fall into. I, like most, just hope he lands in a solid place where he can be around good players/staff and not a dumpster fire of an organization haha

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron