Tyrese Hunter Enters Portal Again

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Hunter likely has no regret in this situation.

The kid who had little chance at a NBA payday transferred to a school who could pay him the most money (840k). His new team then made the elite 8 the very next season.

I’d bet he’d do it the same way all over again.

We need to move past any butthurt on this.
It's amazing that he can get a massive payday and then a freshman comes in for us that was a much lower rated recruit, and just ends up being a better overall player than Hunter. Frankly, I'm glad Hunter is gone because Lipsey is the clearly the better player.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It's amazing that he can get a massive payday and then a freshman comes in for us that was a much lower rated recruit, and just ends up being a better overall player than Hunter. Frankly, I'm glad Hunter is gone because Lipsey is the clearly the better player.
I'm not 100% sure Lipsey was. Both players had excellent freshman years. Lipsey was better after that because he and the staff broke down his weakness ( shooting) and the rest is history. Who's to say hunter couldn't of done the same with the right guidance?

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I'm not 100% sure Lipsey was. Both players had excellent freshman years. Lipsey was better after that because he and the staff broke down his weakness ( shooting) and the rest is history. Who's to say hunter couldn't have done the same with the right guidance?
I think Lipsey’s passing ability as a freshman makes up the difference between Hunter scoring more points per game than Lipsey. Hunter is an average, at best, passing guard.

I think Hunter’s lack of improvement also says something about his character. Even if a staff is subpar with teaching, there should still be some improvement after freshman year. Hunter has not gotten any better at all.

Last edited:

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
I think Lipsey’s passing ability as a freshman makes up the difference between Hunter scoring more points per game than Lipsey. Hunter is an average, at best, passing guard.

I think Hunter’s lack of improvement also says something about his character. Even if a staff is subpar with teaching, there should still be some improvement after freshman year. Hunter has not gotten any better at all.
Maybe he just peaked out early?? Unless you can point to some specific examples I don't think its fair to conclude that he has "character" issues.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Maybe he just peaked out early?? Unless you can point to some specific examples I don't think its fair to conclude that he has "character" issues.
Yeah I don't think he has character issues. I think he took a fat paycheck to go play for one coach. That coach is a fantastic coach, however, that coach also choked out a women maybe. That coach got fired and he was stuck on a team with a coach that failed at a mid major and now was the head coach. He probably had a two year deal to stay with Texas.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Hunter likely has no regret in this situation.

The kid who had little chance at a NBA payday transferred to a school who could pay him the most money (840k). His new team then made the elite 8 the very next season.

I’d bet he’d do it the same way all over again.

We need to move past any butthurt on this.
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, but where do you get that specific amount from? I’m going to guess they were expecting a lot more from him for that kind of $$$.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Yeah I don't think he has character issues. I think he took a fat paycheck to go play for one coach. That coach is a fantastic coach, however, that coach also choked out a women maybe. That coach got fired and he was stuck on a team with a coach that failed at a mid major and now was the head coach. He probably had a two year deal to stay with Texas.
Yeah definitely this is probably closer to the truth. Plus he is overall not a great shooter. When his shot is on his confidence goes way up(like most players) and he is a game-changer. I think his shooting slumps get in his head maybe a little more than some. This in no way means he has bad character.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Hunter was CFOY, you're sighting what he meant to us. Obviously there's no sweet 16 without him.

With all due respect I think you questioning character issues just points out you have a need to lash out at anyone you feel slighted by. Assumingly due to your incredibly small pecker. No offense. It's in the Geneva Convention.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah definitely this is probably closer to the truth. Plus he is overall not a great shooter. When his shot is on his confidence goes way up(like most players) and he is a game-changer. I think his shooting slumps get in his head maybe a little more than some. This in no way means he has bad character.
The "bad character" angle is mostly a coping mechanism that people employ to help themselves feel better about him leaving Iowa State. I have no idea if the $840k number is correct, but even if it's half that, it was still 4-5 times what Iowa State was able to offer at the time. Seizing the opportunity to get life changing money isn't bad character. He didn't rob a bank or scam a charity. He decided to play basketball for a different school than the one I like. If that's the worst strike against his character, then he's doing just fine, I think.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Hunter was not a great offensive player when he was at ISU. He shot less than 40% overall and less than 30% from 3 pt. He improved his shooting at Texas and became a decent shooter (around 45% overall and 35% from 3pt). We had unrealistic expectation of Hunter. He never was a great offensive player.

Reactions: xboxfever

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm not 100% sure Lipsey was. Both players had excellent freshman years. Lipsey was better after that because he and the staff broke down his weakness ( shooting) and the rest is history. Who's to say hunter couldn't of done the same with the right guidance?

As great as TJ is and as bad as Terry is, coaching staffs didn’t need to identify the fact that shooting was a hole in each guys’ game, nor do they play much, if any role in making guys good shooters.

Both guys were poor shooters, it was blatantly obvious to everybody with eyes.

Then it’s a matter of players putting in offseason work. Loosely made a massive jump. Hunter improved and was respectable but not great.

Now, how a coach uses a player and instills confidence can certainly make a difference. I know which coach I’d trust 1000x more than the other when it comes to that.

Abmas was a strange match with Hunter, but the guy was a hell of a player. Hard to argue using Abmas differently, but maybe getting Abmas off the ball more and Hunter in a traditional PG role would’ve worked. But you don’t use your best player sub optimally to help out a role player be better.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Now days players come and players go. I'll cheer for the ones I like and my team and don't care about the rest. I wish someone was keeping track of the academic success of the portal players.

• Winner
Reactions: MTCyclone43

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Hunter was CFOY, you're sighting what he meant to us. Obviously there's no sweet 16 without him.

With all due respect I think you questioning character issues just points out you have a need to lash out at anyone you feel slighted by. Assumingly due to your incredibly small pecker. No offense. It's in the Geneva Convention.
That’s completely uncalled for. He just didn’t improve after freshman year if you look at his numbers. Not sure why you’re defending a guy that gave up on ISU and hasn’t gotten any better in the two years since leaving ISU. Usually a lack of improvement has something to do with character and/or unwillingness to put in the effort.

• Agree
Reactions: Ankency

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
As great as TJ is and as bad as Terry is, coaching staffs didn’t need to identify the fact that shooting was a hole in each guys’ game, nor do they play much, if any role in making guys good shooters.

Both guys were poor shooters, it was blatantly obvious to everybody with eyes.

Then it’s a matter of players putting in offseason work. Loosely made a massive jump. Hunter improved and was respectable but not great.

Now, how a coach uses a player and instills confidence can certainly make a difference. I know which coach I’d trust 1000x more than the other when it comes to that.

Abmas was a strange match with Hunter, but the guy was a hell of a player. Hard to argue using Abmas differently, but maybe getting Abmas off the ball more and Hunter in a traditional PG role would’ve worked. But you don’t use your best player sub optimally to help out a role player be better.
Hard to argue with that, it's a full circle of contradictions so I don't know where I'd start. What I can say is I believe the guy that carried us to the sweet 16 could of improved his range in the offseason from a consistency stand point.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
He probably would have. That's why leaving was a terrible decision on his part. Cost him 2 years of development that he'll never get back.

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Franny over estimated Perkins value….probably why he sucks as a recruiter and evaluator of actual BB talent. Plus, it was the easy and convenient excuse for him…

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That’s completely uncalled for. He just didn’t improve after freshman year if you look at his numbers. Not sure why you’re defending a guy that gave up on ISU and hasn’t gotten any better in the two years since leaving ISU. Usually a lack of improvement has something to do with character and/or unwillingness to put in the effort.
I guess I don't get this ticked off at players leaving, saying they gave up on ISU. Should we have bad opinions of players like BRE, Gilbert, Curtis Jones, Gabe, and point fingers at them and say they gave up on their team? If we are going to embrace the portal, we have to be fine when players leave and not be pissy about it, unless we want to trash talk the ones we get also. Its a two way street, not one way.

Help Support Us

Become a patron