Tyrese Hunter Enters Portal Again

Carol

Feb 19, 2024
I would hope at this point Tyrese has fired his handler.

He's on his way quickly to becoming a Euro pro baller. Which isn't a bad life, but it's not the NBA. It is bearing out in real time that Lipsey is a better PG than him, full stop. Lipsey has better defense, better passing, oh and he can now shoot the 3 better. Lipsey is also a much better teammate and leader.
Tamin Lipsey is awesome in every way!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yes - coaches noticed something, gave him a drill, then he went and shot thousands of shots. But guide hand problems and the hold a coin (or gum wrapper) drill is super common among shooters in HS and even junior high. Kids even in HS can diagnose about any shooting problem with HD slowmo videos on their phones and all the youtube resources.

Terrible coaches have guys that are great shooters. Great coaches have terrible shooters. Sometimes a single coach will have a guys at the same time take huge jumps in shooting percentages while some plateau or even regress. At the exact same time Naz went from a poor shooter to a nearly 40% 3pt shooter, Matt Thomas' percentage was regressing.

Shooting is about the player and whether they'll do all the annoying drills tens of thousands of times, week after week in the offseason.
As I said, he put in the work, however a coach identified the problem and gave him a solutiong. To say coaches can have little to no bearing on a player's shooting is still a dumb take even if we walk back from it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
As I said, he put in the work, however a coach identified the problem and gave him a solutiong. To say coaches can have little to no bearing on a player's shooting is still a dumb take even if we walk back from it.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this. I'm being a bit hyperbolic, but I believe absolutely that coaches have little bearing on shooting. There's a reason that guys on the same team, with the same coaches shoot wildly different percentages across all levels of basketball. It isn't because they ignore some players.

It's great that they pointed this out, but it's kind of a throwaway analysis you could give to every player at every level and tell them to do the drill. It's about as common a problem in shooting as there is, and doing the drill a bunch is going to help every player.

And I know it's different, but this is also a guy that shot 40% from 3 as a freshman in college, and his first actual season was his best 3P% of his career.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I would hope at this point Tyrese has fired his handler.

He's on his way quickly to becoming a Euro pro baller. Which isn't a bad life, but it's not the NBA. It is bearing out in real time that Lipsey is a better PG than him, full stop. Lipsey has better defense, better passing, oh and he can now shoot the 3 better. Lipsey is also a much better teammate and leader.
His his handler should be praised, he got Tyrese paid while his stock was higher than it will ever be. Looking at the last two years, it's crazy someone would think Hunter made a mistake. Whoever was in his ear was spot on about his future and this looks like the smartest move he could've made.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Going to be interesting where Hunter ends up.

For a while I thought he might find a really good landing spot because a lot of the other guys were landing, and he was part of a shrinking pool of proven P6 guys. Now there are more jumping in the portal.

He really needs to go to a defensive-pressure oriented program so he can lean on his strengths. If you can put a couple catch and shoot guys with him and let him be the tip of the spear defensively, I think he can have success.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
His his handler should be praised, he got Tyrese paid while his stock was higher than it will ever be. Looking at the last two years, it's crazy someone would think Hunter made a mistake. Whoever was in his ear was spot on about his future and this looks like the smartest move he could've made.
Yes and no (IMO). Texas is always good because they are loaded with talent but the seem dysfunctional and always underachieve. In the short term he got paid but in the long run it might've been better for him to play where he can grow and develop. But with hindsight being 20/20 I'm ok with him leaving and making room for Tamin to take over.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He's currently taking photos in various jerseys in front of a Bevo statue.
I heard Tyrese is going to hold his press conference at the Johnny statue and put on the jersey of his new team to announce his transfer decision.

• Haha
Reactions: CycoCyclone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I heard Tyrese is going to hold his press conference at the Johnny statue and put on the jersey of his new team to announce his transfer decision.

1a694644-389e-4b74-8e68-dc5b83e526eb_text.gif

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
No idea if they've reached out, but I can see Tyrese going the Rasir Bolton route. In other finds finding a 3rd collegiate home out in Spokane with Mark Few. You get to play down a level and in a better system surrounded by better basketball players *generally speaking*.

Reactions: PineClone

mark82

Jun 19, 2006
Just remember taxes at like 50%, VAT, etc. High cost of living. It's not the same as making $150k here.

That said, if they are living small, and the club is paying for hotels and meals etc... they aren't impoverished and they are getting paid to play ball.
All true, but the taxes cover health care and a reasonable retirement. It's not easy to compare salaries in Europe vs US.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
All true, but the taxes cover health care and a reasonable retirement. It's not easy to compare salaries in Europe vs US.

The median American would have their eyes bug out if they saw the taxes the median Danish family pays (especially the 25% VAT). Then again, they'd probably like the benefits that come with it.