Tyson closing plant in Perry

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I pretty much stick to BBQ and smoked pork anymore. The quality of pork out there isnt great to me.

And it may sound strange but I can taste the confinement in the pork, when just pan fried etc things like chops etc all have a hint of Hog Manure in the taste to me anymore. It may be something in my head but I just can taste/smell it whenever I eat a pork chop etc.

Smoking etc gets rid of that and tastes way better anyway.

But yes pork is significantly cheaper than beef.

About $2 for an 8oz pork chop.
About $10 average for a 8oz steak

Ground pork is about $2 per pound cheaper than the cheapest ground beef.
Have you every tried a pasture raised pork chop next to a confinement raised pork chop without being told which is which?

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I can't stand Pork at all - it's taste, it's ease of being dry, texture, etc... with the exception of bacon, which is God's greatest gift to humanity. So I don't watch it's prices at all.

Are prices that much lower than beef? Is it mostly because of the abundance of pigs in Iowa? With the premium on beef, why is the supply decreasing rather than being more lucrative and therefore increasing?
Man I don’t think you can beat a big ol’ Iowa chop grilled to perfection over charcoal and smothered in chunky applesauce.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Have you every tried a pasture raised pork chop next to a confinement raised pork chop without being told which is which?
No, I cant say that I have.

It could be all in my head, as I said. I would like to try that, and see if I can taste the difference. Maybe someday I will.

Reactions: aauummm

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I pretty much stick to BBQ and smoked pork anymore. The quality of pork out there isnt great to me.

And it may sound strange but I can taste the confinement in the pork, when just pan fried etc things like chops etc all have a hint of Hog Manure in the taste to me anymore. It may be something in my head but I just can taste/smell it whenever I eat a pork chop etc.

Meat products that have been packaged by cryovac can have a slightly off-putting smell to them, and is likely what you're noticing. I've never noticed it carry through to the final product, though.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Some pretty solid information, if your town (especially if it’s a medium to smaller town) can pick which hog company to partner with, take a finishing (like making pepperoni or something with no slaughter floor) facility from Hormel. Some very nice things that will be coming down the line if you do.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I never said they take deliveries of hogs by rail. No one ships livestock by rail anymore. That is why they are build near the farms. I said rail service.

They definitely ship outgoing by rail, both byproducts and frozen meat products. (I have handled a lot of rail cars from multiple Tyson Plants including Perry when rail was still there, as well as Hormel products from frozen storage warehouses.)

Most of the frozen products that ship by rail go to the coast, for international shipping, a lot to China.

Byproducts go all over by rail, a lot to make your wife's makeup etc.

Again, I would not say it is is the main reason, but it could be one issue. If you have 5 plants and 4 have rail service, while 1 does not, and will not. Which ones are going to get upgraded and other investments? Esp. if you utilize the rail service or at least hope to, or want to have it available if needed/wanted.

While rail is not as important in some sectors, it is still a very important aspect and having it definitely increases the value of industrial property.

I have heard rail is not needed anymore, etc. that everything ships by truck. But then you realize 1 rail car is 3-5 semi loads, and certain commodities would not be able to ship in enough quantity to make shipping long distances by truck feasible. One Unit grain train is 350-500 semi loads. Some elevators ship a unit train a week, 2 to 3 times a week during certain seasons. No way there would be enough trucks to handle that volume over a long distance. I know everyone sees the piggy back and stack trains with semi trailers and shipping containers on them. Those handle hundreds of trucks worth of shipments, and have a guarantee shipping time. I believe its guaranteed to be less than 48 hours from LA to Chicago. And they handle everything from Fireworks to TVs. There just are not enough trucks or drivers to replace the rails.

Same can be said with something like ethanol. Trucks bring in the grain from short distances, maybe haul out some of the distillers grain short distances. But most of the ethanol and distillers grain is shipped by train, hundreds of cars per week, per plant. Right now the carbon dioxide is bled off into the air, because there is not a good way to ship it, hence the plan for a carbon pipeline. Any other way would be cost prohibitive for the value of the carbon dioxide and the volume needed.
Sorry my mistake for misunderstanding. I did note that many utilize rail for rendering (byproducts) but I can also tell you that those products are a long shot from being the driving force (read: profit potential) of the plant.

Rail service may be a factor, but I would bet it is rather low on the checklist; especially since they had it at one time but it was discontinued. What could be an interesting note is Perry is mainly an export plant, and at least theoretically rail could offer advantages for the primary finished goods since they will inevitably end up at a seaport. Again, I have only seen rail service for byproducts. Of course this would require refrigerated rail cars, which you may be able to enlighten upon?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No, I cant say that I have.

It could be all in my head, as I said. I would like to try that, and see if I can taste the difference. Maybe someday I will.
I’m thinking you have predisposed yourself to that. There are a few out there that are non confinement raised.

I will also say (I don’t like saying this either) that your ma and pa butcher shops are not the place to buy your pork. The key to pork is that it needs to be chilled extremely fast. Most lockers can’t do it fast enough. As pork chills, the pH drops and the meat starts turning acidic. The slower the drop, the more acidic it is. A saltier pork is best so either buy Berkshire (which has a ADG of like 1) pork or get pork from a newer processing plant (Triumph or id guess the new eagle grove Prestage plant is that way) that is a rapid chill. It will be the most flavorful

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I think a lot of the rail car loads are shipped out of cold storage establishments now. I know Americold Ft. Dodge used to do a ton. All of them Asian exports if I remember correctly.

Reactions: 2speedy1

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Meat products that have been packaged by cryovac can have a slightly off-putting smell to them, and is likely what you're noticing. I've never noticed it carry through to the final product, though.
Essentially anything not frozen in bulk, ground up, or not bought by a local butcher that actually butchers (read: kills/chills/harvests) on the spot is has at one time been in a cryovac bag. Perhaps as a larger primal or subprimal.

In other words, just about any whole muscle piece of red meat has been vacuum bagged.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy and Acylum

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Sorry my mistake for misunderstanding. I did note that many utilize rail for rendering (byproducts) but I can also tell you that those products are a long shot from being the driving force (read: profit potential) of the plant.

Rail service may be a factor, but I would bet it is rather low on the checklist; especially since they had it at one time but it was discontinued. What could be an interesting note is Perry is mainly an export plant, and at least theoretically rail could offer advantages for the primary finished goods since they will inevitably end up at a seaport. Again, I have only seen rail service for byproducts. Of course this would require refrigerated rail cars, which you may be able to enlighten upon?

Again, I said it was a possible factor in the decision. Not the entire reason, probably not even the main reason. But when a looking at a collection of facilities, the ones without rail could be lower on the list of priority for expansion, upgrades, etc. Because they may want to continue in facilities that have the option of rail shipments.

Yes Tyson, as well as others, ship by refrigerated rail car. These most of the time head to California for export. For instance China will take refer cars full of the parts we dont regularly use, organs, hooves, snouts, ears etc. But they also get all types of products including loins, chops etc. I have seen shipments of refer cars full of pork loins going to the Navy in California. Which usually are for Naval vessels for meals.

Refer cars are very regular on the Rail.

The rail did not go out in Perry because Tyson didnt use it. There was not enough overall volume to maintain the track and/or there were similar routes that made the route redundant from point A to B. There just was not enough industry on the track to continue the cost of maintaining and operating it.

In the last years of the track that went to Perry, a train went couple times a week. Because of the poor condition of the track and the very reduced track speed, it took 3 crews to work the "Perry Job" 1 crew to get the train to Perry, 1 crew to work the Perry industries, and 1 crew to get the train back. And there really was no other industries along the way. So just Tyson was not enough to maintain the track and crews etc. especially when it was by that point a dead end track. There really wasnt much that shipped with any frequency outside Tyson at that point on that route.

For instance the Waterloo Tyson probably ships about 2 refer cars per day, (equivalent to about 8 trucks) and about 5-10 tank cars per week of byproduct. (obviously this ebbs and flows)

A small cold storage warehouse, I know in MN that stores/ships for Hormel, ships 10-15 refer cars per week. (eq to 40-60 truckloads) A standard rail car holds about 4 semis, give or take. I do not know how many the actual hormel plant itself ships, just their one cold storage off site.

Typical refer car on todays rail:

1710277671956.png
1710277729882.png

Extra large refer cars:

1710278235303.png

refer containers on stack train:

1710278296371.png

Last edited:

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Again, I said it was a possible factor in the decision. Not the entire reason, probably not even the main reason. But when a looking at a collection of facilities, the ones without rail could be lower on the list of priority for expansion, upgrades, etc. Because they may want to continue in facilities that have the option of rail shipments.

Yes Tyson, as well as others, ship by refrigerated rail car. These most of the time head to California for export. For instance China will take refer cars full of the parts we dont regularly use, organs, hooves, snouts, ears etc. But they also get all types of products including loins, chops etc. I have seen shipments of refer cars full of pork loins going to the Navy in California. Which usually are for Naval vessels for meals.

Refer cars are very regular on the Rail.

The rail did not go out in Perry because Tyson didnt use it. There was not enough overall volume to maintain the track and/or there were similar routes that made the route redundant from point A to B. There just was not enough industry on the track to continue the cost of maintaining and operating it.

In the last years of the track that went to Perry, a train went couple times a week. Because of the poor condition of the track and the very reduced track speed, it took 3 crews to work the "Perry Job" 1 crew to get the train to Perry, 1 crew to work the Perry industries, and 1 crew to get the train back. And there really was no other industries along the way. So just Tyson was not enough to maintain the track and crews etc. especially when it was by that point a dead end track. There really wasnt much that shipped with any frequency outside Tyson at that point on that route.

For instance the Waterloo Tyson probably ships about 2 refer cars per day, (equivalent to about 8 trucks) and about 5-10 tank cars per week of byproduct. (obviously this ebbs and flows)

A small cold storage warehouse, I know in MN that stores/ships for Hormel, ships 10-15 refer cars per week. (eq to 40-60 truckloads) A standard rail car holds about 4 semis, give or take. I do not know how many the actual hormel plant itself ships, just their one cold storage off site.

Typical refer car on todays rail:

View attachment 125429
View attachment 125430

Extra large refer cars:

View attachment 125431

refer containers on stack train:

View attachment 125433
It’s interesting that they wouldn’t have utilized it for their finished goods; it seems logical knowing the products’ final destination.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Newton never came back from Maytag. The wind turbine offered a fraction of the jobs and the racetrack really didn't offer much to those employees.

Even though it's not what it once was, Newton is still a nicer place to live than Perry is right now with the Tyson plant still there. Perry needs to get something in there ASAP.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

. We buy a pig from a friend every year who raises them outdoors on a mix of corn, acorns, table scraps etc.... I can tell tell the difference.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023

I had the same experience and complained to the local grocer about it. He reassured me that meat from the same lot didn't have that taste and the taste was a result of the cryovac ? packaging was damaged during handling and the air infiltration caused the off taste. He gladly replaced the meat and told me to notify if it happened again. Since nearly 100% of the pork we consume is raised in confinement I tend to believe what my grocer told me--it doesn't all taste that way. I edited this post because I responded before reading the subsequent posts and others have alluded to similar thoughts

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Just to expand on the flavor discussion, I’d personally like to see more Duroc/Hamp/Berk genetics going to slaughter. Unfortunately, there are economic reasons the butchers the last 20 years or so resemble Fran’s MBB teams.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Even though it's not what it once was, Newton is still a nicer place to live than Perry is right now with the Tyson plant still there. Perry needs to get something in there ASAP.
Newton's housing market crashed when Maytag shutdown. You seeing it as a nicer town is based on demographics. I understand it's not necessarily intentional but it's a sad perception.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Newton's housing market crashed when Maytag shutdown. You seeing it as a nicer town is based on demographics. I understand it's not necessarily intentional but it's a sad perception.
I owned a house and lived in Perry for about a year. It had a very “bedroom town” vibe to me.

• Informative

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Come on man, you only have to drive a couple minutes into either place and realize they aren't remotely the same.

• Agree