Tyson closing plant in Perry

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The law used to be 26 weeks but was changed to 16 weeks but in SOME cases they may get 26. Coincidentally there isn’t a payment the 1st week.

Edit: your website is false. Try going directly to Iowa Workforce Development website. I knew this law change because I personally was at the capital fighting against the change.
Yeah, I think the way I have read is most claims will hit max payout in 16 weeks, not that 16 weeks is the max.

But I have seen that the max is almost double what that site said. Its a year old so I am sure some of it is out of date, and some is more complicated than just straight maximums.

But I dont think many if any state is really that much different than Iowa. None are really doing much in that regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: cymac2408

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Iowa Workforce Development is a complete joke. Took my wife 5 weeks to get her 1st check and that was after numerous calls and visits. I feel bad for people that really need that weekly check.
Its pretty much that way in all gov. offices. I hate to say it. I have dealt with a few and its always red tape and the runaround. State and Fed.

corwags

Nov 9, 2016
Com

Comes down to genetics more than environment imo.
This is 100% accurate. It doesn't really have much to do with environment from a flavor standpoint - tenderness possibly but flavor is mostly due to intermuscular fat which all comes down to genetics (and how they process what they are being fed, etc).

Chilling has very little effect on actual flavor - it will impact things like water holding capacity and overall tenderness but nothing really on the flavor. I have worked in facilities with a wide variety of chilling processes (snap chill, high velocity rapid chill, conventional chill) and they don't really influence flavor at all. Genetics is the main factor...but you also have to factor in how they work in your production process and what you are trying to achieve as sometimes they don't work for you based on how they grow, lack of litter size, etc. It is a give and take for sure.

• Winner
Reactions: Acylum and cycloneG

corwags

Nov 9, 2016
Generally the only way you'll really know where the product is coming from is if you can see the USDA establishment number on the package and look it up. Sure you can ask, but they can buy from different plants/companies at any given time so the employees may not even know. There is an app but it doesn't work very well, best unfortunately is to either search this CSV:

Or this .pdf:

Edit:

These are your newer plants. I don't know what chilling tech they use though:
Seaboard Triumph Sioux City 46071
Wholestone 46491
Prestage 51340
You will only find Hormel pork at Hyvee, which is basically from Wholestone. But it has been enhanced/pumped with a solution so you really won't be able to tell any kind of discernable difference from anything - which is their goal and why they enhance it.

STF and Prestage use a snap chill process. Wholestone I assume does, as well, if from Fremont.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No idea. He has two sows that are whitish with black spots or belted. Piglets all look similar. His grandkids usually show a couple of the pigs at their county fair and he puts the rest out in a lot and feeds them out. We buy one when it's around 300lbs, and take it to our local locker. Yummy stuff.
The breed makes a huge difference in the meat flavor. Pigs used to be raised to create large amounts of lard. As time passed people wanted leaner cuts of meat so hogs were bred to be leaner. Fat gives a large amount of the flavor to the meat also. When cuts get so lean that very little fat is on them, This made them more bland.

One other way to tell on pork is the color. There is a reason they went away from "the other white meat" as their catch phrase. The whiter the meat, the leaner and less flavorful it will generally be. So look for loins or chops that have as much of a reddish tint as possible to them. The redder tint will typically signify a higher pH to the meat. A very pale looking cut will be less flavorful.

Two things make up most of the flavor difference in pork. The genetics if first (certain breeds just have a different taste) and the processing plant is second.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hard to retain ownership and build the herd when slaughter animals are worth so much. Retain and get a calf old enough to butcher is a long play vs. Cash up front.
I know guys who were buying cattle, popping a couple hundred pounds on them and almost doubling their money in a two months time by reselling them. Cattle production is a very slow process. It can be close to 5 years to look at a calf born and say I'm holding that one for breeding and then to get a calf out of them and get it raised to sell.

• Agree
Reactions: herbicide

zumbro clones

Jan 31, 2007
Southern Minnesota
For the business and Ag folks on CF, what is the opportunity for Iowa farmers to create a cooperative business to avoid dealing with the large meat corporations and keeping more profits for themselves.

They would have control over where to sell and how to distribute their products. They could possibly even re-utilize abandoned plants like this one.

I know that the local lockers do good business on a small scale. But would there be an opportunity for a large scale coop for meat producers in the area?

https://goodmeatproject.org/resources/find-a-good-meat-farmer

Reactions: JEFF420