Uber Ames

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Uber will begin operating in Ames tomorrow (Tuesday August 4th), it will be the 4th city in Iowa to offer Uber rides: http://amestrib.com/news/uber-begin-offering-rides-ames-tuesday

Will be nice for those trying to find a way home from the bar, many nights during the school year there are not enough taxis in Ames to keep up. Have to feel for local taxi businesses like Fitz's taxi though.

Last edited:

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Will be huge on game days I bet. If you live in West Ames, that will work wonders

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Very needed. Especially on nights the drunk bus isn't running

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
With CyRide offering free rides from Campustown on almost every night, I find it hard to believe that anyone will make much money driving Uber in Ames.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
With CyRide offering free rides from Campustown on almost every night, I find it hard to believe that anyone will make much money driving Uber in Ames.

Doesn't CyRide only do free rides Friday and Saturday nights during the fall and spring semesters?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

Doesn't Ames have residents who are not going to ISU?

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
As someone who has tried to support the taxi industry in Ames, I say awesome. Taxis in Ames are rediculous, there is maybe one in campustown when busses are not running during the summer and usually end up walking back to west Ames.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Do you think this will destroy the taxi business in Ames? Or will it mostly draw on a new market segment that isn't using taxis now? I've never used a taxi in Ames, but I could see myself using Uber. It is just so cheap and easy (and it is harder to get a taxi because you can't just walk on the street and wave for one).

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Do you think this will destroy the taxi business in Ames? Or will it mostly draw on a new market segment that isn't using taxis now? I've never used a taxi in Ames, but I could see myself using Uber. It is just so cheap and easy (and it is harder to get a taxi because you can't just walk on the street and wave for one).

There is like one taxi serving all of Ames.

I don't think anybody is going to be able to support themselves full time being an Uber driver in Ames. But if somebody wants to make a few bucks for staying sober during gamedays they'll be able to do pretty well for themselves on a part time basis.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Cyride only goes to a certain time during the week, no drunk bus on Thursdays, and no drunk bus during the summer. Also there are more people than just students that would use this. Seeing as how most my friends that I stay with game weekends have moved farther away from campus town this will be a great addition. Fitz cab is unreliable, this will be welcomed as an alternate.

Last edited:

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I will be using uber. Taxi is usually 20 to $25 from the bar for me. That's from the center of town to the north west edge. If Uber can drive me for 15 ill be happy.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
In CR we have used uber quite a bit. The taxi services here were scary and expensive, only used once. Now even we go out to dinner / drinks with friends we will take uber there and home.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
We were back in Ames on Saturday and just thinking why they hadn't started this yet. It will be awesome in Ames. Drivers might not make the money someone in DSM would, but they will stay busy at night.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
A cheaper, better option for people to get home safely from bars and get around the town in general is a plus for everyone IMO.

Cab companies need to adjust or get out. This is market competition at it's finest, and it is a great thing for the consumer.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Driving strange drunk people home from the bars in my own car sounds like a special kind of hell. But this is good for Ames for sure.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'll be politically correct here: there is a decent percentage of Ames residents that are foreigners. I'm sure this will also help them out significantly.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
In CR we have used uber quite a bit. The taxi services here were scary and expensive, only used once. Now even we go out to dinner / drinks with friends we will take uber there and home.
Holy crap that is the absolute truth. Three times in a row I got the same guy who would go on and on about how he had invented a perpetual motion machine but had not released it to the public yet.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
i lived in campustown for the sole purpose of not having to find a ride home after the bars - well worth the higher rents in my book.

the only time we used a cab was after i graduated and we stayed in the hotels out by the highway and it took a cab like 45 minutes to even show up. i say good for Ames.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Driving strange drunk people home from the bars in my own car sounds like a special kind of hell. But this is good for Ames for sure.

I know a guy that does it on friday / saturday's when he is free, he has lots of good stories and lots of drunk ladies that invite him in after they strike out at the bar. If you are into cougars, might be a good way to get paid, just leave the meter running while inside :smile:

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

This is why Uber is great. You know who the person is that's getting in your car (or at least their first name).
Uber has their credit card on file, so if something happens (puke), you submit a claim and Uber charges them. You don't have to fight with the person when you drop them off or try to get them to pay more.

Yes, that would still suck to clean up, but at least the driver doesn't have to chase someone down for an extra $200.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron