ISU
PASS:Jantz 43-77, 466 yds, 5 tds
RUSH:Johnson 27 car, 135 yds, 0 tds
REC:Horne 11 rec, 163 yds, 0 tds

UCONN
PASS:McEntee 18-39, 212 yds, 0 tds
RUSH:McCombs 51 car, 259 yds, 4 tds
REC:Griffin 7 rec, 144 yds, 1 td

So UConn runs the ball more than we do and their QB has no passing TD's on the season with 3 int's. Think this is the game where the D gets some big takeaways? Can we take away the run to force McEntee to throw?

Rest of the stats here:
Connecticut Huskies 2011 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - College Football - ESPN

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Are you sure those are right? I know Horne has at least one touchdown.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
Uconn is better than Iowa on D, but worse on O. That's basically what I got out of watching them. If we can keep them in third and long all game, they're going to struggle. Need to stop their RB, who is fast quick guy, basically a rich man's Carlos Anderson.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Are you sure those are right? I know Horne has at least one touchdown.

Don't think so, he got down to the 1 yard line and was tackled. Don't recall any other close calls with him, he could have had one against Iowa on that bubble screen but got chased down from behind. BTW...has a bubble screen EVER worked that well for us?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Thought this was a bit comical...but here goes...this was posted on the UCONN Football boards in JULY - posted by CTfan07.....

I would like to get his evaluation now.....

I see UConn as the favorite for this game, especially at home. I do think the game will be close, but knowing that Iowa State will be as inept as us on offense is comforting.

QB- New QBs for both teams. Push

RB- New RBs for both teams. Push

WR/TE- Neither have too much going for them, particularly with new QBs.
Offensive Line- Iowa State has an excellent player at Tackle, but I UConn consistently puts out one of the best lines in the Big East year-in, year-out. Edge UConn

Defensive Line- This will be UConn's strength in 2011. NFL draft pick in Kendall Reyes at DT, very experienced line, lots of depth. Edge Uconn

Linebackers- Edge Iowa State. They have some of the best in the Big 12

Defensive Backs- Iowa State is average/solid in the back. UConn has a star at corner in Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Dwayne Gratz at the other corner position ain't to shabby either. UConn

Special Teams- DOn't know much about Iowa State, but Uconn will have the best kicker, maybe the best punter, and the best return man (Nick Williams... led the NCAA in return average) in the Big East. UConn

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I expect to win this...as all of us probably do. I think our offense is ACTUALLY starting to click. Knock on wood.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Thought this was a bit comical...but here goes...this was posted on the UCONN Football boards in JULY - posted by CTfan07.....I would like to get his evaluation now.....I see UConn as the favorite for this game, especially at home. I do think the game will be close, but knowing that Iowa State will be as inept as us on offense is comforting.QB- New QBs for both teams. PushRB- New RBs for both teams. PushWR/TE- Neither have too much going for them, particularly with new QBs.Offensive Line- Iowa State has an excellent player at Tackle, but I UConn consistently puts out one of the best lines in the Big East year-in, year-out. Edge UConnDefensive Line- This will be UConn's strength in 2011. NFL draft pick in Kendall Reyes at DT, very experienced line, lots of depth. Edge UconnLinebackers- Edge Iowa State. They have some of the best in the Big 12Defensive Backs- Iowa State is average/solid in the back. UConn has a star at corner in Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Dwayne Gratz at the other corner position ain't to shabby either. UConnSpecial Teams- DOn't know much about Iowa State, but Uconn will have the best kicker, maybe the best punter, and the best return man (Nick Williams... led the NCAA in return average) in the Big East. UConn

someone needs to tell this guy that being the best in the big east is like being the tallest midget

Reactions: Ry4Cy

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
I think Iowa State wins this game, but it's going to be close. Short week after an emotional win over a rival. Road game on Friday night. UConn's offense is pretty inept, but their defense is salty. I'm guessing it will turn out like the Kansas game last year, where ISU's offense just sucks for the first half before turning the corner in the second half.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'd be really surprised if UConn had a better D than iowa

Prepare to be surprised. Their Dline will be better.

I look at UCONN a lot like Iowa. They will be slightly better defesnviely but they don't have a passing game or at least they haven't shown that. If I'm Wally, I'm bringing run blitzs' from the get-go. If I'm Herman I'm doing what I did against Iowa. Call plays and let Steele throw the ball. The interior Oline will have their hands full but the Dline should be a little better than they were against Iowa. We have to play well, but we should win this one.

famwam

Sep 8, 2011
I think Iowa State wins this game, but it's going to be close. Short week after an emotional win over a rival. Road game on Friday night. UConn's offense is pretty inept, but their defense is salty. I'm guessing it will turn out like the Kansas game last year, where ISU's offense just sucks for the first half before turning the corner in the second half.

Its a short week for BOTH teams! As far as punters go, I would take Kirby against anybody! He looks like a future NFL punter to me! Even better than Brantner! And hes only a sophomore? Hooray! 2 more years with Kirby (we hope!)

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If we can play the run like we did against Iowa, then I don't think they have any offense left, barring a career day from a QB that hasn't shown that kind of ability. With CPR at the helm, I feel confident that we won't see that old nightmare scenario.

Offensively, we should be able to put some points up. On paper, I feel good about this matchup, just like before the season. Of course, it's just a matter of putting it together Friday night.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Thought this was a bit comical...but here goes...this was posted on the UCONN Football boards in JULY - posted by CTfan07.....

I see UConn as the favorite for this game, especially at home. I do think the game will be close, but knowing that Iowa State will be as inept as us on offense is comforting.

Steele J.>Trick Shots McGee.

This is probably a push for starters but we have depth.

Offensive Line- Iowa State has an excellent player at Tackle, but I UConn consistently puts out one of the best lines in the Big East year-in, year-out. Edge UConn

I think we have all of those categories. Besides, they are incredibly one dimensional.

Defensive Line- This will be UConn's strength in 2011. NFL draft pick in Kendall Reyes at DT, very experienced line, lots of depth. Edge Uconn
Probably right. Reyes is good. Our interior guys will have to be good to control him. That of course makes the guys around him better.

Edge? It's not even close.

Defensive Backs- Iowa State is average/solid in the back. UConn has a star at corner in Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Dwayne Gratz at the other corner position ain't to shabby either. UConn
A push is pushing it for UCONN. Washington has made our unit actually pretty damn good.

Special Teams- DOn't know much about Iowa State, but Uconn will have the best kicker, maybe the best punter, and the best return man (Nick Williams... led the NCAA in return average) in the Big East. UConn
May be right with the exception of punting. Had this stat monkey looked at Kirby's stats he would know that.

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006

This type of analysis is always entertaining, but completely irrelevant. Are we going to have a mano-y-mano QB face off?

UCONN's offense has been pathetic this year...they are averaging ~ 210 yards per game through games against Fordham and Vandy (projected for last in the SEC). If the ISU d-line can play at the level they did against Iowa, I think UCONN will have trouble sustaining drives. The ISU D-line held its own against a pretty solid O-line from Iowa. The first two games of the year sure don't suggest UCONN's line is any better than Iowa's.

On the other side of the ball, it's hard to say which ISU team will show up. Will it be the team that scored 6 TDs last week or the one that struggled for 3 quarters against UNI?

Help Support Us

Become a patron