UCONN vs Purdue Championship Thread

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Man that basketball would be so fricking crazy and fun if the Big 12 and Big East decided to just join forces for that sport only.

Even if they don’t formally join. Maybe some early season 4 or 8 tournament and call it “Power Conference Invitational”. It could be like Champions league soccer spread out over season.

They need to get nasty and highlight strengths, the leagues trying to burn the world down around them are.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Officially the offseason, get ready for the Iowa state hype we haven’t experienced in awhile. Will have to go back and check but did 2000-2001 even have this with Fizer leaving. Will be fun.
Freds team that lost to eventual champion UConn in 2014
Was preseason top 15 the following year
15. IOWA STATE

Coach:
Fred Hoiberg
Last season's record: 28-8
Players gone: DeAndre Kane, Melvin Ejim, Percy Gibson
Projected starting lineup in 2014-15:

• G: Monte Morris
  • G: Bryce Dejean-Jones
  • F: Dustin Hogue
  • F: Georges Niang
  • F: Jameel McKay
  • Reserves: Naz Long, Abdel Nader, Matt Thomas, Daniel Edozie, Clayton Custer

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Hurley is a weirdo and annoying but people complaining him being CoY are clueless. They have good players but they aren’t destroying teammates on talent. That offense is a machine. The shot selection, patience, motion without the ball, decision making is just perfection. There are games where shots don’t fall but holy hell what a chore guarding that offense is.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Hurley is a weirdo and annoying but people complaining him being CoY are clueless. They have good players but they aren’t destroying teammates on talent. That offense is a machine. The shot selection, patience, motion without the ball, decision making is just perfection. There are games where shots don’t fall but holy hell what a chore guarding that offense is.

Yeah, i don't think it should always go to the coach that wins it all, but this team has been such a buzzsaw it is overperforming expectations even when those were already high. A team doesn't dominate the tournament like that just with talent.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Freds team that lost to eventual champion UConn in 2014
Was preseason top 15 the following year
15. IOWA STATE

Coach:
Fred Hoiberg
Last season's record: 28-8
Players gone: DeAndre Kane, Melvin Ejim, Percy Gibson
Projected starting lineup in 2014-15:

• G: Monte Morris
  • G: Bryce Dejean-Jones
  • F: Dustin Hogue
  • F: Georges Niang
  • F: Jameel McKay
  • Reserves: Naz Long, Abdel Nader, Matt Thomas, Daniel Edozie, Clayton Custer

You got me looking at rankings that season and I forgot UNI was so good that year. They were #10 going into NCAA and #14 in final coaches poll after ncaa. Ranked right around ISU for a lot of the season.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
UNCONN has given every team a blueprint of how to win in the modern game. Recruit at a high level and then plug in players from the portal to fill in weaknesses in the team.
Teams that continue to rely on recruiting high school or CC talent are going to be left behind. Teams are going to be recruiting over their own players trying to fill holes and come up with the best team year by year. It will be interesting to see how young players react to the new way of playing the game.

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
I think if it was completely up to Yormark he would. Flip side is I am not sure if UConn would actually accept honestly. I live in CT and have for 14 years. These fans and that school absolutely hated having to go to the American. They love the Big East and they fit in the Big East. They were very meh in the American Conference. The travel for Big 12 would be really rough on them.
Playing BigEast Tourney at MSG is good for recruiting. It's close for their fans and players want to play there

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
I would have liked to see a healthy Houston team play them. Honestly Perdue just did not have the athletes to keep up. Best of Big12 would have been better test

I think Uconn could lose 4 of 5 starters so I think coach was recruiting after game with his comments about having NBA players who sacrifice to win

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I would have liked to see a healthy Houston team play them. Honestly Perdue just did not have the athletes to keep up. Best of Big12 would have been better test

Agreed. As much as the commentators tried to hype up the "the two best teams are meeting here" angle, Houston was the real #2 before the injuries hit.

Purdue was Edey and not much else, and even that required a lot of generous officiating. Houston was, like UConn, a team that was so good it was fun to watch them just to appreciate it.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
How does it compare to the UCLA days? That was before my time but know you have all the stats/info.
UCLA did win 38 tournament games in a row. But they only had to win four games each tournament. UConn is the only team to win back to back, win 6 games each tournament, and win every single game by double digits. Their combined margin of victory average the two years was 260 points or 21.7 per game. No champion has had that margin of victory in one year since 1985 (much less over a 2-year run).

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Interesting that Purdon't only took seven threes. They averaged 17 attempts per game this year.

• Informative
Reactions: quasistellar

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron