Under the radar connections to Iowa

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I read a book on Augusta and didn’t know the co-founder with Bobby Jones was Clif Roberts, was born and raised in Morning Sun, IA. He was the financial backer and the reason there are so many strict rules. Sounds like he had OCD, which was probably a factor why he was such as a successful businessman and investor.

• Wow
Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
The gunfight at the OK Corral was a bunch of guys from Iowa pissed at each other! Well, sort of. The Earp and McLaury brothers all lived in Iowa at some point in their childhood, which wasn’t too unusual at that time as people were moving around and settling a lot. The Earps lived in Pella and the McLaurys in Belle Plaine.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Mike Trout hunts in Ringgold County on occasion. Hillary Swank has a grandmother who lives in Ringgold County also.
I believe he is still close with the family who hosted him during his time in CR. I recall reading a long article about them a few years ago.
I think Trout (in a group) owns land in NE Iowa.

Reactions: deadeyededric

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Mike Trout hunts in Ringgold County on occasion. Hillary Swank has a grandmother who lives in Ringgold County also.
My grandma was a Swank and we always had to watch the Karate Kid with Hillary in it because “she was our cousin” lol

Super distant relation to us grandkids though, I’ve never met her or anything.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Actresses Michelle Monaghan and Thurman Merman's grandma Cloris Leachman are from Iowa.