UNI Game Thread

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
UNI just beat us and were the better team. However, in just reading this forum and watching gamecast, it appears we made a lot of errors and also lacked the inside game as usual. I think after a whole year together and the addition of Thompson and Brackins inside, we win in Ames next year by 15-20 points and it's never close after the first 10 minutes?

They also lose Grant and Brooks, who accounted for 1/2 of their points. We lose Gray which I think will be more then made up with Brackins and Thompson.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
McDermott's slow it down offense is hard to run without an inside presence. Plus, it seems as if Clark and Taylor are more potent threats in a Wayne's World type of O

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
I think we started off 8/16 and then finished 14/51... about half the percentage. I agree with what someone said that our guards again have to make up for a lack of inside game and end up forcing shots and taking too big of risks.

Could you image how good Taylor could be at making 3's if the other team had to guard and play inside against an established player like Homan. I think this team is one big inside player away from being pretty decent.

Morgan's lack of recruiting in the inside game is now hurting us. He went for the quick fast tall skinny centers/forwards versus the bulky mean spirited players. Hopefully Brackens and Thompson deliver next year as I'm impatient in waiting 3-5 years to get the right players.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
Morgan's lack of recruiting in the inside game is now hurting us. He went for the quick fast tall skinny centers/forwards versus the bulky mean spirited players. Hopefully Brackens and Thompson deliver next year as I'm impatient in waiting 3-5 years to get the right players.

I'm impatient too, but this team has already won one game that I didn't expect them too (@Minn). Need to beat Iowa and Bradley and I think we are in pretty good shape.

You're dead-on about the size of our players. We have no bulk. None. Gray does a nice job and I thought that even last year. Frankly he should take Jiri's minutes. WJ and Rashon are good and will really benefit from Brackins inside presence as will our guards. It is a disappointing loss tonight but not unexpected. I think ISU will take its lumps against OSU, but perhaps that will be the last non-conference game that we lose. If so, the team should be in good shape for at least an NIT bid by the end of the year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Actually we played that way in our other games against teams that were somewhat crummy. OSU 85- ISU 62 if you extrapolate this effort. Hey, we can get better. We are not a team by any means yet. Fellas, Gray is by far our best big man. Jiri scores best when a playmaker sets him up. Mike shoots first, passes second. Anyone a Will Blaylock on this team.

22-70 for 31% --- shooting went down second half. UNI only did 41% and went down second half. Still surprised McD did not recruit a big man which was our weakness last year besides having no plan.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm impatient too, but this team has already won one game that I didn't expect them too (@Minn). Need to beat Iowa and Bradley and I think we are in pretty good shape.

You're dead-on about the size of our players. We have no bulk. None. Gray does a nice job and I thought that even last year. Frankly he should take Jiri's minutes. WJ and Rashon are good and will really benefit from Brackins inside presence as will our guards. It is a disappointing loss tonight but not unexpected. I think ISU will take its lumps against OSU, but perhaps that will be the last non-conference game that we lose. If so, the team should be in good shape for at least an NIT bid by the end of the year.

Seriously, why does McD even allow Jiri to shoot a three? We have no rebounding as it is. We need hands near the board whenm a shot goes up if we are shooting 31%. What does it take to make a player to be smarter after so many years of basketball. Is he selfish?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron