UNI vs. ISU - thoughts/predictions?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Kind of surprised by the results. Mostly walk away pretty darn impressed with the Cyclone defense. Didn't shoot lights out from 3, but they were a lot better in the second half. Still the defense and the play of LW in the second half was the difference in the game. He had a 7-8 minute span there when he completely took over the game on offense and got ISU into the lead. These guys are becoming a decent team.

Yep, I think our defense was the story of the game. We’ve come a long way already this year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This thread was funny to read. I certainly can understand picking UNI with all of their success against us.

But the deep delve into Prohm as a coach was an unexpected bonus.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Kind of surprised by the results. Mostly walk away pretty darn impressed with the Cyclone defense. Didn't shoot lights out from 3, but they were a lot better in the second half. Still the defense and the play of LW in the second half was the difference in the game. He had a 7-8 minute span there when he completely took over the game on offense and got ISU into the lead. These guys are becoming a decent team.
UNI is offensively challenged. Allowing them to score 65 points is bad defense
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I agree. And that's what I'm talking about. In football, you can have incomplete passes because a QB keeps overthrowing his target or just stands there with the ball. Kinda boring. Or you can have incomplete passes because of brilliant defensive effort by a CB.

So... Which is UNI doing?
When UNI has the ball, I'd say it's a mix. Sometimes, I really do think that a few of our offensive sets were, "Everyone rest while Wes dribbles and then tries to score by himself (which Wes often did)." But other times, and especially since Wes graduated, I would say there is a lot of motion and UNI wants to push it on offense quite a bit.
When UNI is on defense - that's when we want to slow things down. And our fans get it. When the half-court defense if humming, the crowd gets into it and gets loud when the shot clock gets under 10.
No...UNI doesn't ever try and score early in the clock. Like I said...no attempt to score until 15 seconds left. Everything before that is token motion designed to eat clock

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This thread was funny to read. I certainly can understand picking UNI with all of their success against us.

But the deep delve into Prohm as a coach was an unexpected bonus.

It isn't about the history of UNI against ISU. UNI has been pretty impressive this year, with 3-4 wins against teams that are probably heading to the NCAAs, and a couple pretty close ones against very good teams. This game was way more about ISU showing improvement than UNI being no good and playing a super bowl game.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Thought we were the tougher team. Love the way we're trending. UNI is a solid program, just glad I don't have to watch that pace all the time.

Last edited:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
It isn't about the history of UNI against ISU. UNI has been pretty impressive this year, with 3-4 wins against teams that are probably heading to the NCAAs, and a couple pretty close ones against very good teams. This game was way more about ISU showing improvement than UNI being no good and playing a super bowl game.
Yep, this is a good win! I for one just didn't know what to think of iSu's growth considering who they had played. UNI is offensively challenged but we did hold them below their season averages. Outrebounded them, mentally weathered shooting poorly in the first half and then pouring it on in the second. Scoring 75 points against a team that takes the air out of the ball and with Jackson providing very little in the scoring column... All around...impressive performance

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
It's sort of refreshing to watch a game and not really care what style of ball we are playing because this team can win a variety of ways. That is probably the most impressive part of the turnaround from the first two games. Welcome to Prohm ball everyone! It isn't always pretty but you will like the end result more often than not.

Reactions: NWICY and tazclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yep, I think our defense was the story of the game. We’ve come a long way already this year.

Defense and our bigs outplayed Koch.

Not slighting our backcourt but our guards played like we've come to expect 1/3 of the way into the season with the exception of Jackson being a little off shooting.

• Agree
Reactions: tazclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Defense and our bigs outplayed Koch.

Not slighting our backcourt but our guards played like we've come to expect 1/3 of the way into the season with the exception of Jackson being a little off shooting.

I've noticed Jackson's shot has looked flat and hurried in the first half of that last two games, and it looked much better in the 2nd half.

The 2nd half outside of fouls is the only important one and he's still money from free throws. One DID rumble around the rim a bit last night so he really was clearly 'off'. :)

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I do believe he was supposed to come in and put a real emphasis on defense, something people wanted more of from Hoiberg. When he did try to slow the pace, the offensive flow was disrupted and often times sloppy for a team that was used to playing loose and free.
Watching this season, it is clear that they are not focused on defense to keep games low scoring. They are getting back to up and down game plan. Give Prohm credit for making this change, even if it hurt the clones last year. Let's see if they can handle a slow down pace with quality bigs, because I don't see it.
Lastly, not sure how anyone can say these coaches are even. Jacobsen and UNI have an identity that has worked through out the years and have given Iowa and ISU fits. To say Prohm is on his level at this stage in careers is just untrue.

Bump

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Can't argue with that. My point is that the UNI defense and slower pace might make ISU uncomfortable. A team that is young, perhaps antsy if they aren't run and gun. Again, it will be up to Prohm to make adjustments and a good offensive scheme to counter. My money is on Jacobsen and UNI controlling the game and making it difficult for ISU to score.

Bump