Update from Pollard/Geoffroy

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
I'm sure they're just sitting back and sipping on iced tea right about now. Are you seriously questioning if they're working their butts off for us right now?

Yes. That is what I am saying.

Colorado = gone
Nebraska = gone
UT announcing on Tuesday next week (see the new post) http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/general-discussion/93181-texas-will-announcement-tuesday.html

ISU = send out emails until we have to face the facts

It is clear to me (again my opinion) that the Big 12 is done.

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
sending an email reaches everyone instantly and takes 5 minutes to write. why bother with a stupid press conference for local media. we have zero leverage in the realignment game - there's not much we can say.

i think the ISU communication has been fine - don't deal with hypotheticals but comment when actual events occur. that's all they can do.

Remember there are some people who believe Pollard should be in front of the camera everyday with a daily update on the situation.

JP only gets in front of a camera when there is something important to say. A presser to tell us NU is leaving isn't necessary. There is no need to go out and say "We are currently meeting with X conference" when the B12 is still alive. Its not Tuesday yet, and for all we know, the South could decide to stay (not likely, but could happen). We don't want to be Missouri who failed horribly at dating the B10, it may cost them a shot. JP has always operated this way, and he's not going to change now. The other thing, this is no coaching search - this involves a lot more people than he and GG. This brings into play the BOR and other key leaders on campus.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I heard a rumor that pollard has this small, wireless device that allows someone to make phone calls and send/receive emails. sometimes you can even access the internet too! its pretty cool because you don't have to stay in the office to get work done.

Whoa, calm down Trigger. I believe I was just responding to jbhtexas' query as to whether Pollard or Geoffroy were in town...:confused:

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Yes. That is what I am saying.

Colorado = gone
Nebraska = gone
UT announcing on Tuesday next week (see the new post) http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/general-discussion/93181-texas-will-announcement-tuesday.html

ISU = send out emails until we have to face the facts

It is clear to me (again my opinion) that the Big 12 is done.

ISU=send out emails until we have something to report...in the meantime we are checking into every possibility out there, including getting in on some major $$ if we remain in the Big XII from those that are leaving.

No reason to pander to us just because we're anxious.

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
ISU=send out emails until we have something to report...in the meantime we are checking into every possibility out there, including getting in on some major $$ if we remain in the Big XII from those that are leaving.

No reason to pander to us just because we're anxious.

I would agree with that. The issue I have is that Nebraska reported that they were going into the Big 12 meetings after already meeting with the Big 10. It is clear to me that this has been stewing for a long time. Seems to me that if they were working those channels for the last month that ISU should have been doing the same. It's like they have been blindsided by this. We aren't even involved and could see this coming.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I would agree with that. The issue I have is that Nebraska reported that they were going into the Big 12 meetings after already meeting with the Big 10. It is clear to me that this has been stewing for a long time. Seems to me that if they were working those channels for the last month that ISU should have been doing the same. It's like they have been blindsided by this. We aren't even involved and could see this coming.

How do you know ISU wasn't doing the same thing? JP keeps things pretty close to the belt, he doesn't care to share a lot of information until its final.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Who's to say that the ISU Admin could do anything. If the Big 10 was not interested in us, then there was nothing that we could do.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Nebraska was able to talk about meetings with the Big 10 because the Big 10 had interest in Nebraska. Pretty sure that isn't the case for ISU. What are Geoffroy and Pollard supposed to say? "We talked to the Big 10. They weren't interested." That would make us look terrible. And it would be completely stupid to announce that we are talking to the Big East or the MWC, at this point, unless we were confident that something is going to happen with them. There is far too much unknown still out there for us to be making any bold statements.

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
Nebraska was able to talk about meetings with the Big 10 because the Big 10 had interest in Nebraska. Pretty sure that isn't the case for ISU. What are Geoffroy and Pollard supposed to say? "We talked to the Big 10. They weren't interested." That would make us look terrible. And it would be completely stupid to announce that we are talking to the Big East or the MWC, at this point, unless we were confident that something is going to happen with them. There is far too much unknown still out there for us to be making any bold statements.

True but even Nebraska doesn't have an invite...even today. They are "hoping" they accept their bid.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

We go out on Tv and other media outlets, then we'll look idiotic like mizzou, look where that got them... :no:

Oct 7, 2009
Des Moines
If you haven't noticed the Big 12 has a hard time getting on TV...just ask Nebraska. :biglaugh:

This comment made me think of something, and maybe it has already been discussed in all the other threads.

Nebraska has been unable to return itself to the powerhouse of the past. They are kind of floundering in mediocrity at the moment. Although last year wasn't bad. My in-laws hail from Nebraska. Their favorite past time is sitting around talking about how good BigRed used to be. Look at their stadium...The state for that matter. They don't survive at their current pace. The machine is running out of gas.

I'm going to liken their situation to that of an athlete who dopes up. You know you can't get what you want, so you do what it is you can to gain that edge. This move appears to be an attempt to financially make up for their lack of football success for the past decade...Essentially, they have failed at restoring their football team. They are losing momentum. This move gives them the resources (money) to keep the machine running and create the illusion of progress (read: hope) for Nebraska fans.

Just my two cents...

Last edited:
Reactions: 19Cy78

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
True but even Nebraska doesn't have an invite...even today. They are "hoping" they accept their bid.

If Nebraska wasn't 100% confident that their bid would be accepted do you honestly believe they would be going out the way they are?

Read this
Nebraska trounces Texas, moves to Big Ten - CBSSports.com

Nebraska can be visible and forthcoming because they know that they have numerous options. They don't have to sell themselves. We do. And so our representatives have to play it low key for now.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
This comment made me think of something, and maybe it has already been discussed in all the other threads.

Nebraska has been unable to return itself to the powerhouse of the past. They are kind of floundering in mediocrity at the moment. Although last year wasn't bad. My in-laws hail from Nebraska. Their favorite past time is sitting around talking about how good BigRed used to be. Look at their stadium...The state for that matter. They don't survive at their current pace. The machine is running out of gas.

I'm going to liken their situation to that of an athlete who dopes up. You know you can't get what you want, so you do what it is you can to gain that edge. This move appears to be an attempt to financially make up for their lack football success for the past decade...Essentially, they have failed at restoring their football team. They are losing momentum. This move gives them the resources (money) to keep the machine running and create the illusion of progress (read: hope) for Nebraska fans.

Just my two cents...

Great Post!

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I wonder if my boss would let me golf on Fridays as long as I tell him I have my Blackberry along.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron