UPDATE: Tennis Team going to the Elite 8

charlie_B

Mar 21, 2017
***************************************************************************************************
Elite Eight Info:

Wednesday, May 17
6:30 p.m. (CDT) – No. 12 Iowa State (21-5) vs. No. 4 NC State (26-4)

Following the Matches
Live stats will be available on the schedule page. Live-streaming for the quarterfinals will be available via PlaySight on the USTA National Campus Website and will also be streamed on Cracked Racquet's YouTube page with commentary.

***************************************************************************************************
For anyone in Ames on Friday looking to leave work early, the tennis team is hosting the first two rounds of the NCAA Tennis Tourney at Ames High School.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
This is amazing! Although sad that Ames High probably has better facilities and that’s why it’s there?

charlie_B

Mar 21, 2017
This is amazing! Although sad that Ames High probably has better facilities and that’s why it’s there?
Yep. That is correct. The courts next to Forker are ISU's nicest courts, which are not very good. There was a plan to build a new facility being built by the South Ames Racquet and Fitness tennis bubble, but it sounds like that has fallen through.

I hope they get it figured out and get some new facilities because Coach Saia can probably find a higher-paying job with better facilities.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Yep. That is correct. The courts next to Forker are ISU's nicest courts, which are not very good. There was a plan to build a new facility being built by the South Ames Racquet and Fitness tennis bubble, but it sounds like that has fallen through.

I hope they get it figured out and get some new facilities because Coach Saia can probably find a higher-paying job with better facilities.
I don’t want to lose Boomer!

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There was a plan to build a new facility being built by the South Ames Racquet and Fitness tennis bubble, but it sounds like that has fallen through.

The agreement with ARF was approved by the Regents last fall, but ARF is dragging its feet on construction from what I've been told.

• Informative
Reactions: charlie_B

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I suppose no one would believe ISU hosted NCAA men's tennis at one time. Beyer was built over them except a couple were left.

safmusic

May 30, 2006
I like the Boomer comment about building a program fast...as his father told him to build a football team quickly work on special teams!

Reactions: ljm4cy and GoldCy

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
The courts by Forker are pathetic. Falling apart and the university has declared 2-3 of the courts unsafe. Pathetic that we can’t find $$ to at least refinish those courts.

Really a sad situation considering the success in the last couple years as well as an active tennis club on campus that has made nationals many times.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I don't get why a tennis facility would be that expensive (other than the land). Bunch of concrete, spiffed up pole barn for lockers and offices. Dome for some of it. $1M? I know that isn't nothing, but you'd think it would be manageable.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I don't get why a tennis facility would be that expensive (other than the land). Bunch of concrete, spiffed up pole barn for lockers and offices. Dome for some of it. $1M? I know that isn't nothing, but you'd think it would be manageable.
You don't understand the process the school has. Planning and execution by facilities management add a lot of burden. Typical government.

• Winner
Reactions: amishclone

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
This is awesome! I never thought ISU would be capable of competing at this level in tennis. Incredible achievement.

Reactions: jctisu and Jdk

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The team Twitter page has video of winning point and reaction. Kind of strange seeing houses in the background!

So happy for our team!

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron