Updated Season Expectations

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
This season has put my brain in a blender.

Following the first three games, I felt pretty optimistic that this team could be a bowl team. Even though we choked away the Iowa game, I thought that it was the two best teams I'd seen in that match up since 2002.

After the abysmal loss to Texas, and Iowa's loss to Michigan State, I was very down on our prospects going forward. We blew a big opportunity on a national stage. Maybe the OT game between EIU/ISU was just a matchup between two bad teams.

Fast forward to this week, after our victory over OU and Michigan State beat Michigan at the big house. We have a close loss to Iowa, a poor loss to a Texas, and a win over a top 5 team on the road. Texas appears to be improving rapidly, Iowa is 4-2 with a close loss to a top 5 team and a close loss to a top 20 team, and OU still has probably the most impressive resume victory of any team in the country. Things are looking up.

Obviously I'm much more optimistic now, but I still don't know what to think. How good is ISU?

I'll say we beat Kansas, Baylor, and KSU. Lose to OSU, TCU, Tech and WVU. Seems like we always have a huge letdown game, hoping that was the Texas game this year. Think there is a good chance we flip one of those L's between Tech/WVU.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aauummm

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
This season has put my brain in a blender.... Things are looking up....

I'll say we beat Kansas, Baylor, and KSU.....

Agree. Those are the three games that I think we take to get us to six.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think beating Baylor at the end of the season is going to be very tough.

Still hard to find 6 wins.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
The biggest key is beating Kansas this week. I think about it as a gut check game. If we take care of business I feel confident we can win 2 or more of the last 6. I just wouldn't want to pick any of the games individually with the best two teams being at home and the most winnable four being on the road.

Reactions: TXCyclones

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Any combination of wins to finish out wouldn't surprise me (although if it didn't include a win over KU, that would). Perhaps the most encouraging part of the win over OU was that it wasn't like OU imploded and made all sorts of turnovers or shot themselves in the foot. If we execute like that, we can beat anyone remaining on our schedule. If we execute like we did against UT, we can lose any too.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I think we can get Tech. They have no Defense.
Tech actually has a pulse on D this year. Last year they were in the 120's I believe they are in the high 70's or low 80's this season including a defensive type win vs. Houston. They've also played OSU already and we know what they can do.

Tech offense is not as explosive as previous years. They are trying to run and establish the run more this year and for the most part they have done that this season. I know it was KU but they put up >300 yards rushing.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Tech actually has a pulse on D this year. Last year they were in the 120's I believe they are in the high 70's or low 80's this season including a defensive type win vs. Houston. They've also played OSU already and we know what they can do.

Tech offense is not as explosive as previous years. They are trying to run and establish the run more this year and for the most part they have done that this season. I know it was KU but they put up >300 yards rushing.

There is a lot of season left for that to smooth out as well. I do think Tech is better defensively but they still have holes and teams are going to put up points on them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron