Urbandale Hy-Vee booze sale

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Seeing the lengths that folks are going to for this really makes me appreciate weekly specials at East Ames Hy-Vee. There’s not as much on sale at once, and some weeks are better than others, but the savings are comparable and don’t require camping out in advance.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Seeing the lengths that folks are going to for this really makes me appreciate weekly specials at East Ames Hy-Vee. There’s not as much on sale at once, and some weeks are better than others, but the savings are comparable and don’t require camping out in advance.

I had asked the manager at the East Lincolnway store about that once on why they don't do the big sale like that in Ames. He pretty much told me what you had stated. I have my in-laws in Urbandale get what I need when they have the sale there.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Just went to grab a few small items about an hour ago. No place to park, and once was inside....took 45 minutes to check out $10 worth of grocery items. Unbelievable.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Good thing I’ll be in NC during this time so I don’t have to be on the road when all the drunks are celebrating their annual restock
I just saw a hy vee advertisement for handle it Fris vodka for .99 cents. That is out of control

You are in NC and ridicule this post about drunks, yet you post about vodka being $.99 a handle. Are you a closet drunk?
Just quit posting RhoRho!!

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Makes you wonder if restaurants and bars that have people come and buy for their places.
Small places maybe but wholesale liquor from distributors is still cheaper for bars/restaurants than what Hyvee is selling for today

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The only thing I can think of when this sale is brought up is my former manager. His neighborhood would pool their money and buy obscene amounts of booze at this sale.

He was such an a$$ hole though. No shock that he was a hawk fan.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Small places maybe but wholesale liquor from distributors is still cheaper for bars/restaurants than what Hyvee is selling for today

All liquor is distributed from the state of Iowa. Distributors in Iowa can only distribute beer and wine.

On March 8, 1934, Iowa was established as a "control state," assuming direct control over the wholesaling of all alcoholic liquor and wine. Currently, ABD wholesales alcoholic liquor only. ABD also regulates and licenses establishments that sell alcoholic beverages in Iowa.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My wife was there to get groceries at 8:00 and she said it was bananas. The cashier said that people had carts full and unloaded on the belt before 6:00 am. They can't sell before 6, but people can fill their carts.

I like booze as much as the next guy (ok not UNIGUY) but that isn't worth it to me.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
All liquor is distributed from the state of Iowa. Distributors in Iowa can only distribute beer and wine.

On March 8, 1934, Iowa was established as a "control state," assuming direct control over the wholesaling of all alcoholic liquor and wine. Currently, ABD wholesales alcoholic liquor only. ABD also regulates and licenses establishments that sell alcoholic beverages in Iowa.

informative. I was viewing this from my experience with food/soda but yeah liquor is a whole different animal.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019

Also if you go to another state and buy their beer and bring it across state lines it is illegal. If you get pulled over while In possession of it it’s a large fine!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron