Urbandale Hy-Vee booze sale

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I want that Herradura.

My brother got me a bottle last year for my bachelor party. Coincidentally: that same day we all went up to Jack Trice and watched us beat TCU.

Perhaps it's time to repeat history for WVU.

Reactions: CloneFan4

LancelotClone

Apr 18, 2018
That's not a "claim" it is literally their normal retail price. If those bottles are on sale it's generally only a couple bucks off.

Wow. I can see why the sale is a big deal then. Some of those regular prices are $10 more than what I see locally. Granted I'm not in Iowa.

Looked up some prices for my local liquor store.

Woodford Reserve - HyVee regular price is $44.99 on sale for $26.99. Locally it's $34.99 regular price and it's on sale pretty commonly at $27.99

Knob Creek - HyVee regular price is $39.99 on sale for $27.99. Locally it's $29.99 regular price and on sale right now for $24.99.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Wow. I can see why the sale is a big deal then. Some of those regular prices are $10 more than what I see locally. Granted I'm not in Iowa.

Woodford Reserve - HyVee regular price is $44.99 on sale for $26.99. Locally it's $34.99 regular price and it's on sale pretty commonly at $27.99

Knob Creek - HyVee regular price is $39.99 on sale for $27.99. Locally it's $29.99 regular price and on sale right now for $24.99.

I have questions:
Where do you live?
When are you coming to Iowa?
How much space for bottles do you have when you come to Iowa?
What is your delivery fee?

Only kind of kidding.

• Funny
Reactions: LancelotClone

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

TPHqbZL.jpg

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: JP4CY and isumellie

LancelotClone

Apr 18, 2018
I have questions:
Where do you live?
When are you coming to Iowa?
How much space for bottles do you have when you come to Iowa?
What is your delivery fee?

Only kind of kidding.

One word. Binny's.

Unfortunately no more trips planned for the year.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Yes Binny's!! Have it on my key fob!! Like a Home Depot of Liquor. I have a trip to Chicago coming up. Will need to find one on the way out. Have relation that lives about 3 blocks from Urbandale Hy-Vee. She has my list already.

upload_2018-10-12_15-17-4.png

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Iowa has high alcohol taxes and the spirits are state controlled. All liquor is sold out of the state warehouse at a case one price so there aren't any quantity deals to bring the price down for the retailer. There are ways that the suppliers can help the retailers bring down the price but I won't try to explain that.

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
Iowa has high alcohol taxes and the spirits are state controlled. All liquor is sold out of the state warehouse at a case one price so there aren't any quantity deals to bring the price down for the retailer. There are ways that the suppliers can help the retailers bring down the price but I won't try to explain that.

Yep, the state control is what really messes with what we can get around here.

It does have one side benefit however. When the zombie apocalypse happens there is a LOT of booze in a warehouse just south of Ankeny. I plan to hit that place on my way out of town...

LancelotClone

Apr 18, 2018

I remember the liquor laws from the mid/late 90s during school, and a friend is the midwest sales director for a spirits company so I hear the complaints about Iowa when he talks business.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

You are spot on - the "deals" from the state of Iowa are terrible. When I worked in retail used to talk to people from Illinois about prices. At the time Black Velvet was what we compared prices. We were $17.99 on sale, and they would be $12.99-$14.99 as their everyday price for a 1.75 liter.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Yes Binny's!! Have it on my key fob!! Like a Home Depot of Liquor. I have a trip to Chicago coming up. Will need to find one on the way out. Have relation that lives about 3 blocks from Urbandale Hy-Vee. She has my list already.

View attachment 58910

I went to a Binny's for the first time 1.5 years ago in Illinois. I thought all the stories about it were just stories.

...It was even better than I'd imagined. :cool: