Very, VERY Confusing Play Calling Tonight

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Coach Manning was put in a difficult position last night. He had to decide whether to be an offensive line coach or an offensive coordinator. Both groups needed his attention but he couldn't do both at the same time. The coaching staff will learn from this and continue to move forward. Go Clones.
I don't understand you point here at all are you saying OLine coaches can't also be Offensive coordinators?

xrayhawk

Aug 27, 2017
We don't have the line to be successful against good defenses, but the staff had a poor game.

Seriously, how bad are the first three defenses we played?

Ya the Hawks defense is really bad, that is why they held Penn State to 21 pts on 99 plays....what sucks is it was 14 on 98 plays....poop ;(

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
On our first play we had two motions and managed to get Ryen 1-on-1 with some 250# dude and then that guy ran step for step with him. I think that’s when I realized we were going to lose.
On the first play from scrimmage? Why you are an amazing analyst.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I can't put too much on Park. He was running for his life a majority of the game. When you have a back like DM, you have to use him more than 9 times.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I can't put too much on Park. He was running for his life a majority of the game. When you have a back like DM, you have to use him more than 9 times.
Disagree, decision making when under duress was the worst I have seen from him..... I will say it again, learn to throw the damn ball away.....

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Ya the Hawks defense is really bad, that is why they held Penn State to 21 pts on 99 plays....what sucks is it was 14 on 98 plays....poop ;(
Lol. Didn't they put up 600 yards? What was that last drive, 89 yards in 1:30? Iowa's defense is more like UNI's and Akron's than UT's.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I'm not gonna blame Park like a lot of you are, yeah he played a poor game but he was running for his life. When he had time he made good throws, but unfortunately him having time was barely ever. The fact that Montgomery only got 9 carries is ******* rediculous!!!!! Of course the defense is going to pin their ears back and blitz when they don't have to worry about you even trying to run the ball.

Credit to the defense though they played excellent.

Since this is one of the few rational posts, rather than the sky is falling nonsense fan sites are famous for, it’s worth commenting on.

Ut’s game plan was simple, they were going to bring pressure, and put pressure on the offense, particularly Park. It felt a lot like the 2011 game, where they brought the house against Jantz and made him play like a quarterback instead of an athlete.

This was the first time I have been disappointed in the coaches since they’ve been here. The lack of adjustments made on offense, and the slow realization on defense, was a little jarring. Obviously this week, Oklahoma and okie state will be the best athletes and talent we will face this year, but they kept pushing the same stuff that wasn’t working, and didn’t adjust.

They really need to figure out how to get Montgomery more involved when they can’t establish the run. It was frustrating to put everything on Park. Because if you’re going to do that, you have to hold people in, to pick up the blitzes. The 4 and 5 wides, leaving just the o line to pick up the blitzes, was a recipe for that disaster of an offensive performance.

Oh well, lot of season left. Go Cyclones

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Every team for the rest of the year should blitz the living sh*t out of us.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Coach Manning was put in a difficult position last night. He had to decide whether to be an offensive line coach or an offensive coordinator. Both groups needed his attention but he couldn't do both at the same time. The coaching staff will learn from this and continue to move forward. Go Clones.
I largely agree w/ this. Whenever we have a bad offensive game, the OC gets criticized. Then the next game the offense plays well, the OC, is the '2nd coming', one of the best in the country. Not saying criticism in this game isn't warranted, but it'll be interesting to note how the (OC) is so fantastic the next game we do it right. :confused:

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Every team for the rest of the year should blitz the living sh*t out of us.

I hope they do. TCU AND OU are the only teams the rest of the way that can man up on us. Let them bring pressure if they don't have the defensive speed like UT does. Our receivers will have a field day. UT is legit on D.

Another thing Baylor gave OU fits for awhile. Hopefully we can exploit some of the same things. Not saying we will beat OU in Norman but at least we may have some success with them.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I hope they do. TCU AND OU are the only teams the rest of the way that can man up on us. Let them bring pressure if they don't have the defensive speed like UT does. Our receivers will have a field day. UT is legit on D.

Another thing Baylor gave OU fits for awhile. Hopefully we can exploit some of the same things. Not saying we will beat OU in Norman but at least we may have some success with them.

Park needs to stand in there and not bail out right away. There were times last night where he bailed when the line actually picked up the blitz. He has happy feet when teams are sending 5-6 guys. If he doesn't correct that, it's may not matter what the other teams secondary is like.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
Punting from the opponent's 33 yard line is damn near a fireable offense. I mean, yes, that is hyperbole a bit, but that really gives me an insight into the coaching staff and I don't like what I see... it's 2017, we can now prove very easily that it is incredibly ******* stupid to punt from the 33 yard line, if you do it anyway.... smdh

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Park needs to stand in there and not bail out right away. There were times last night where he bailed when the line actually picked up the blitz. He has happy feet when teams are sending 5-6 guys. If he doesn't correct that, it's may not matter what the other teams secondary is like.

I agree. I'm sure his pocket presence in the face of a blitz is being coached up as we speak.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Play calling was terrible because our o-line was horrible. Plus Park was straight awful tonight. Gotta get that head case under control otherwise Noland will be next up.

I'm curious to see where things go after this. Park has talent, but man, some of his throws are painful.

If this thing turns into another QB carousel patience is going to start fade quite quickly.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Punting from the opponent's 33 yard line is damn near a fireable offense. I mean, yes, that is hyperbole a bit, but that really gives me an insight into the coaching staff and I don't like what I see... it's 2017, we can now prove very easily that it is incredibly ******* stupid to punt from the 33 yard line, if you do it anyway.... smdh
I wouldn't have punted either but I assume he wanted to try and force a TO in their red zone. Which if it was the right drive, we nearly did on the tipped faux lateral.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm curious to see where things go after this. Park has talent, but man, some of his throws are painful.

If this thing turns into another QB carousel patience is going to start fade quite quickly.

Park was terrible last night. But he's been good for the first 3 games. I think seeing what happens the next 2 weeks is good, in this case.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
I wouldn't have punted either but I assume he wanted to try and force a TO in their red zone. Which if it was the right drive, we nearly did on the tipped faux lateral.
Seems kind of crazy to punt from the 33 on the off chance you can force a turnover in the red zone.... and then we ended up getting the ball back at our 18, so it didn't help with field position.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Don't punt from the 33. I would have been fine with an attempted FG.
Texas blitzed a ton. Park had SEVERAL chances to run up the middle for positive yards on these blitzes...and did not do it. A few 4-6 yard gains would have helped soften that defense.

No delays, draws and only 1 or 2 screens. Not a recipe to beat a blitzing defense IMO.

4-3 defense caused a pick when we ran it. Pressure on QB with only the 4 rushers, Lanning seemed like a zone/floater/spy and stepped up to the QB when he thought QB was going to run. He threw the ball and KCM read it perfectly and picked it off. I don't remember the 4-3 much after that.

Texas drive to finish the game...we had two timeouts remaining. Don't need them for OU, maybe use them. (Just something else to pile on with.)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron