Idea: Veteran Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Put music, movies, concerts etc all in one umbrella "entertainment" forum.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Weren't we going to have the relationship advice forum? I remember after the one guy got dumped after a basketball game, it was brought up. There is nothing better than to have random advice from strangers who want to laugh at someone failing.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Couldn't you just ban people who were abusing the system then? Just make the rules clear.

Another thing necessary for neg rep, IMO, is that when some gives neg rep, their screen name has to show up next to it, like positive rep. A lot of sites have anonymous negative rep even though positive rep always displays who it came from.

People tend to think twice before starting a ***** flinging contest when there's some possibility of it coming back to them.

I like this idea. Another option could be to tie a user's ability to negative-rep to their own reputation, i.e., you have to have your own reputation built up before you can take others' down. Also, a limit within a certain window of time (like we currently have with positive rep) would be needed. Both of these items could be done in addition to posting names of rep-ers.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You guys just took a perfectly good thread about an idea for a veteran forum and derailed it into a discussion on bringing back neg rep. As soon as they bring back neg rep, I will neg rep each and every one of you!

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You guys just took a perfectly good thread about an idea for a veteran forum and derailed it into a discussion on bringing back neg rep. As soon as they bring back neg rep, I will neg rep each and every one of you!
And I shall complain to a mod about being neg repped.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Neg rep for you :spinny:

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
2njaa2s.jpg

Random.

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
You're going to have to go back and prove that you posted last year at this time:twitcy:

I think 30K posts should be sufficient to keep out the riff raff:yes:

You will not keep out all the riff raff, I will still be in there.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I actually think something should be done along these lines in the future, though many have pointed out the drawbacks before. I won't repeat them. It could even be a pay board, though those who pay self select and aren't necessarily the best either. I know people don't want to hear this, and I'm not sure I would pay myself. But I think there are reasons a pay board here could be superior in ways to a different site.

One aspect though, as a college sports message board, is that there are always going to be new posters, and young posters, coming online all the time. This is actually a good "problem" for the site. Another aspect is that people coming online have grown up with technology, and besides lacking more mature judgment, are less inhibited as well because of their greater experience with such technology. All of society is more like this in a way (no matter a person's age), but as more people here get older maybe reasons for this thread will reverse somewhat?

Fifteen+ years ago or so, when all of this was new, I think - in general - more people were more cautious about what they posted, whereas today, more are less concerned about being rude, and not just rude, but repetitively so. Or just posting the same thing over and over, too much. There were always flamers, and even simple disagreements, sometimes and even often heated. But in the past I believe more people posting (percentage-wise) were better informed, and I remember more people who did post but who were "called out" in some way, often explain what they meant and say that before hitting "reply" they try to think about what they wrote and all the ways people might interpret. There was a greater effort to be careful, to make amends, to explain, to reach an understanding. To me it seems now there are many more simple responses that are in some ways personal attacks (on a poster, or others, e.g., an athlete), or uninformed, or both. Or in poor taste. And it is just accepted that that is the way it is ==> don't post if you don't want to put up with that.

There is some truth to that. And it is too much to try to moderate. And there isn't any reason a high percentage of people visiting here shouldn't also post, even, or perhaps especially, if infrequently. But by the same token, I think there are reasons this is brought up, perhaps increasingly so, that things change, that it could be better accommodated in some way.

I don't think I am just being an old fogie. :smile:

I don't often post and don't plan to in the future, but it doesn't make sense even to lurk if the "conversation" isn't worth it. I'm not sure why the OP started this thread, but tried to address what seemed to be previously expressed.

There isn't a perfect answer. It is what it is. Maybe the best way forward is to continue as things are, and adjust, and people try to behave how they want the board to be, and hope for the best.

One option and perhaps ultimately the best one, for someone creative and entrepreneurial, would be to start an entirely new site. Perhaps there is a new market niche, though it would probably have to be "free" at least to start (and granted, even though the Scout site has never yet made a good permanent go of it).

I hope I didn't offend anyone. :v_SPIN:

PS: Entertainment or music forum seems also to make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: CtownCyclone

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'm going to go ahead and close this thread as it has gotten a bit off topic but have read all of the comments and will consider some of the suggestions. If you have anything else, I'm only a PM away. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron