Idea: Veteran Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
There was a message board I used to post on (pbnation.com) that had a forum w/ this basic idea. I think you had to be a registered member for a year before you could get in. Obviously it breeds a bit more of a mature conversation.

I like the idea.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is a popular request... but a moderation nightmare. People attack each other via negative rep, then we hear lots of complaints about it and have to moderate it. There were both internet tough guys AND people being too sensitive when we had it.

Maybe overhauling the moderation approach to negative rep wouldn't be a bad idea? If people are attacking each other via rep, just stay hands off as a mod team. Kind of a "you make the bed, you sleep in it" approach. You don't need to protect everyone's feelings. Lots of websites have it, but those websites don't engage in as extensive moderation as this one either (not a criticism, its just that Cyclone Fanatic's level of moderation is much, much higher than the typical sports message board).

Negative rep is a pretty good tool for keeping people in line. Instead of having Cyclone Fanatic be a police state where the mods rule everything, it gives the users a little more power to create the environment they want to create, and generally keeps people from being complete d-bags. I would think this would cut down on work for the mods too. Just let people know right away that they don't come running to the mods like a crying child just because someone thinks they're a tool, and you don't have to spend a ton of time with it. If people can't handle it, they probably shouldn't be on message boards to begin with.

Just my $.02.

Reactions: alarson

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
I, too, have been on a forum where they had a "gold members" area for those demed worthy of higher-intellect conversation. Unfortunately, they didn't really follow the criteria. As long as standards are set and rules are met, it could work.

EddieISU

Aug 16, 2008
Waukee "The Key", iowa
I would like a forum for grunge music and flannel shirts lovers. A speed metal forum would be great too, basically anything that allows me to relive my teenage angst, thanks.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'd rather see a # of posts/rep level ratio used. Sadly, I'd still be on the outside looking in.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Maybe overhauling the moderation approach to negative rep wouldn't be a bad idea? If people are attacking each other via rep, just stay hands off as a mod team. Kind of a "you make the bed, you sleep in it" approach. You don't need to protect everyone's feelings. Lots of websites have it, but those websites don't engage in as extensive moderation as this one either (not a criticism, its just that Cyclone Fanatic's level of moderation is much, much higher than the typical sports message board).

Negative rep is a pretty good tool for keeping people in line. Instead of having Cyclone Fanatic be a police state where the mods rule everything, it gives the users a little more power to create the environment they want to create, and generally keeps people from being complete d-bags. I would think this would cut down on work for the mods too. Just let people know right away that they don't come running to the mods like a crying child just because someone thinks they're a tool, and you don't have to spend a ton of time with it. If people can't handle it, they probably shouldn't be on message boards to begin with.

Just my $.02.

By and large, that system absolutely works. And that's mostly what we did. What it doesn't account for, though, is users who had vendettas against each other, trolls, etc. There are many instances where people didn't make their bed, and it's offensive to them to be called names, have personal comments made, etc. Those are the ones we have to moderate heavily.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
There are many instances where people didn't make their bed, and it's offensive to them to be called names, have personal comments made, etc.

Called names?! The humanity!

I guess there is a reason I'm not a moderator. I'd be harder on the wimps than the trolls. :cool:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
By and large, that system absolutely works. And that's mostly what we did. What it doesn't account for, though, is users who had vendettas against each other, trolls, etc. There are many instances where people didn't make their bed, and it's offensive to them to be called names, have personal comments made, etc. Those are the ones we have to moderate heavily.

Couldn't you just ban people who were abusing the system then? Just make the rules clear.

Another thing necessary for neg rep, IMO, is that when some gives neg rep, their screen name has to show up next to it, like positive rep. A lot of sites have anonymous negative rep even though positive rep always displays who it came from.

People tend to think twice before starting a ***** flinging contest when there's some possibility of it coming back to them.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
This is a popular request... but a moderation nightmare. People attack each other via negative rep, then we hear lots of complaints about it and have to moderate it. There were both internet tough guys AND people being too sensitive when we had it.

This...
Hi Angie! lol havent seen you for a long time

Reactions: Angie

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The other problem with negative rep.. some people will just go around giving it out when really the person receiving it didnt deserve it.. My personal opinion on rep is give it a count.. basically like our posts.. every time someone gets positive rep they get a point

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
The other problem with negative rep.. some people will just go around giving it out when really the person receiving it didnt deserve it.. My personal opinion on rep is give it a count.. basically like our posts.. every time someone gets positive rep they get a point

There is a tally on rep, it just isn't displayed to everybody. You can see your own rep total. I'm not sure how much each "Rep" is worth, or if you could convert your rep to coupons, or what, however.

Cymon

Apr 10, 2006
Ankeny
I've been a mod on a few forums as well as an administrator on others. Trust me, this is a bad idea and will cause more problems than fix.

I would like to see a music forum though.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I've been a mod on a few forums as well as an administrator on others. Trust me, this is a bad idea and will cause more problems than fix.

I would like to see a music forum though.
Music forum is a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.