***Virginia Duals Friday & Saturday Jan 12/13***

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
This isn't A is greater than B, B is greater than C, so A is greater than C. I think if Parker can control the match he can beat anyone like he did with DeSanto. But he can also get in some bad positions and has been stuck pretty easily. Are we supposed to forget those results as well?

I think from a talent standpoint I still like Simmons. He is the better athlete and has a really high ceiling. Parker has more tools, especially on top, and appears to have a gas tank for days. This may be a situational weight the next few weeks.

I'm more concerned about which wrestler can qualify the weight for NCAA's. I don't disagree that Simmons may be more talented, but Parker's big wins over Desanto and Naser would go a long way towards earning a qualifying spot for the conference tournament and would go a long ways toward a wild card bid to NCAAs if he needed it.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Great day for the cyclones! Most complete effort I've seen from an ISU team this year and best effort I've seen from an ISU team in a couple of years.

Its been a tough year but this team is really not very far away from a 6-2 dual record. If they had fought as hard and competed as hard as the way they did today I think we would have won a couple of those early duals.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Going through the lineups I think the key matches this morning against Lock Haven are...
133: Either Simmons or Parker would be the favorite but both those guys have dud matches sometimes and the Lock Haven 133 pounder is good enough to take advantage of that.
149: Degen wrestled like a top 20 wrestler yesterday but he gets another quality opponent this morning. Can he get three good wins in a row?
157: On paper Straw is a small underdog but he's been doing a lot better since the first few weeks of the season so this smells like it could be an upset, one we need if we're going to win the dual
184: Good Pestano wins, bad Pestano loses. Yesterday we saw bad Pestano. Which one will we see today?

If we win 3 of those 4 we probably win the dual. If we win 4 of those 4 we definitely win the dual.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Going through the lineups I think the key matches this morning against Lock Haven are...
133: Either Simmons or Parker would be the favorite but both those guys have dud matches sometimes and the Lock Haven 133 pounder is good enough to take advantage of that.
149: Degen wrestled like a top 20 wrestler yesterday but he gets another quality opponent this morning. Can he get three good wins in a row?
157: On paper Straw is a small underdog but he's been doing a lot better since the first few weeks of the season so this smells like it could be an upset, one we need if we're going to win the dual
184: Good Pestano wins, bad Pestano loses. Yesterday we saw bad Pestano. Which one will we see today?

If we win 3 of those 4 we probably win the dual. If we win 4 of those 4 we definitely win the dual.

If it’s you, do you send Colbray or Teague out there at 197? For me, I think I’d want to see if Colbray can follow the MD he put up against ODU. See if we can’t get some confidence building.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

Nitpicking here, but I'd say Degen wrestled like a top 12 wrestler yesterday. Not saying he is, but when you major the #15 kid, you wrestled well.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Nitpicking here, but I'd say Degen wrestled like a top 12 wrestler yesterday. Not saying he is, but when you major the #15 kid, you wrestled well.

Well 12 is part of 20...

I think he's a top 20 guy for sure. I'm not totally convinced yet that he's top 12 but I'm not going to argue against anyone who says that he might be. I'd say the same for Storr right now.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Am I more upset than I should be about this Lock Haven deal? That chaps my ass.

Yeah, it's annoying enough when individual wrestlers do it at opens. Unless the entire team has the flu or something this kind of seems like ********.

They did forfeit their two final matches in their last dual yesterday once they locked up the dual at 184 so maybe they are dealing with a bunch of injuries or sickness though. Who knows.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
As stated before, unless there was some sort of emergency, that is a weak a$$ move by Lock Haven. You don’t quit in wrestling.

• Agree
Reactions: pancake

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Got in from chores and finally got hopped on....only to see the news about Lock Haven. Seems busch league on their part. Should roll Fresno like mentioned and can't complain about our guys getting a taste of multiple wins in a row. But still sucks none the less

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I would have liked to get a dual against Campbell and Kolat/Kiley team.

Glad Fresno State step forward, we get them again in a couple weeks

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I would have liked to get a dual against Campbell and Kolat/Kiley team.

Glad Fresno State step forward, we get them again in a couple weeks
I think that's a big reason why I am more upset than I should be with Lock Haven pulling this. Would have been great to face a team we weren't slotted to see on the schedule....but like you said big thanks to Fresno for stepping up.

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I looked and it doesn't seem like Bucknell (who took 4th in the pool with 4 teams) got any more matches after pool play was over. If I was the Bucknell coach I'd be extremely upset about having my weekend end early only for another team to walk away, since this is kind of a tournament but it is really set up for each team to get as many duals as possible and to have half of them be competitive at whatever level your team is at.