Voices from the stands: Homecoming Edition

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
And more than likely all Iowa fans.

I have absolutely no clue why you’d wear a random team’s gear to any sporting event. If you’re not a fan of either team, wear something neutral. The only reason you’d do this is to make some sort of weird point or try and upset that team’s fans. Which means they probably were all Hawks.

The Baylor guy had a super nice Nike pullover and hat so that’s at least $100 to spend. Nice to have that kind of money to throw around…

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Lots of very loud and angry “PASS THE BALL” after runs that didn’t go anywhere. Section K. Nothing unusual there, but a fan definitely in need of further football education. And more creativity. Could have been the guy dressed in all Husker gear though. Or the one in all Baylor garb. Maybe the two Ohio State fans. No joke, all in Section K.

Also saw them in section K. One of earlier games, guy in all Nebraska gear in K. Weird was not expecting Baylor and Ohio State, was fully expecting Hawk vermin with their bye but only saw them in tailgating lots

We had a guy bust out “Put in Tiller” when Purdy ran wide but not wide enough on 4th and 1.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Wait until I upload the pic of the the kid in the Hawkeye hat who was on th field after we rushed...

Saw an "ANF" hoodie on a college aged kid mid 1st quarter.

Also saw a gentleman, wearing ISU gear, holding a U of Illinois fleece blanket. Almost went up and congratulated him on their win.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Saw an "ANF" hoodie on a college aged kid mid 1st quarter.

Also saw a gentleman, wearing ISU gear, holding a U of Illinois fleece blanket. Almost went up and congratulated him on their win.
I know a couple who are both ISU grads who have a son who went to Illinois and was in the marching band. But I know they weren't at the game because they would have been at our tailgate if they made it to the game.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Had a Karen about 4 seats down the row from me get pissed and go off on me for sarcastically saying "now would be a great time to fake an injury" when one of our guys went down on the big 3rd down play before the final stop. She started yelling at me "grow up, show some compassion!" She obviously did not catch my sarcasm nor the guy 2 rows directly behind me that said the exact same thing as me when I did. The player was fine, he walked.off the field on his own and allowed us to set up the defense with the delay. I asked those around me if they thought thought I was out of line or offended them and they all got a good laugh and thought the gal was being a Karen too. If I had to guess she was probably in her late 20s. Was a really weird thing, I just blew her off instead of escalating it with a response.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
And no, I'm not her!

But I will admit to wishing out loud that we still had Woody or LanRam for the short yardage, especially at that goal line exercise in futility.
I thought we would see Howard in some running plus.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Douchey OSU fan right behind us (thanks whoever sold their row 10 section B tix..) had condescending dumb comments all day. Worst may have been sometime after their first score when we didn't convert on a 3rd down "come on, at least get a first down and make it competitive".

There were 4 or 5 around us in W. One was really annoying

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Talked to a twenty something Poke fan at half time. He was complimentary of how loud our crowd was. I would have loved to talk to him after the game.

Guy several rows in front of us sounded like he wanted to take the refs to FudRuckers after the game. He was going to have a burger and buy the refs some ground chuck too.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The two seats next to us must be open as we had hawk fans next to us for the hawk game and OSU fans next to us on Saturday’s game. Have to say that both sets of fans were great to be around.

OSU fans were a young couple that had just graduated from OSU and they live in Stillwater. We all were like when the OSU receivers caught the TD passes, “he caught that?” We are in section two so we have a poor view of the south end zone.

We all agreed on the crappy call on the taunting penalty and just said, “I’ve never seen this called before.”

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Guy next section over yells "PASS!!" on every play where the opponent passes. Mike Rose is listening to section M for guidance.
Lots of fans and the sidelines do this. Any fan making noise on defensive downs should be encouraged.
This is a habit for many. Myself included.
It can also be a “tell” of who played FB at some level and carried it over to fandom. We were instructed to do this because you had defenders moving vertically and horizontally with offensive players and they didn't always have their eye on the ball.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Rogue52 and Cyjacks

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Sounds like the "REBOUND!!" Hilton lady.
Similar to my previous post, I figure fans that yell “shot” in Hilton played basketball at some level and were instructed to let their fellow defenders, who likely had their back to the ball; know to turn around and box out and look for the rebound. Carried it to their fandom again. I don’t mind what people say as long as they are making noise on defense.

Last edited:

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I have absolutely no clue why you’d wear a random team’s gear to any sporting event. If you’re not a fan of either team, wear something neutral. The only reason you’d do this is to make some sort of weird point or try and upset that team’s fans. Which means they probably were all Hawks.

The Baylor guy had a super nice Nike pullover and hat so that’s at least $100 to spend. Nice to have that kind of money to throw around…
You may be on to something. A friend of mine is an iowa grad and was at the game on Saturday. His oldest attends ISU and nephew is on the team. He states that he would never be a db and wear iowa gear to an ISU game, so wore a pullover for a third school that one of his other kids attends.

Help Support Us

Become a patron