Volleyball: OU at Iowa State Sunday 10/12

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
way to hang tough there at the end. Kurht seems to have that mental toughness in sticky situations that we need.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I was very worried that ISU was looking at a 5th set when the score was 20-15, OU. But our girls went on a run, forced extra points, and secured the 4 set victory. There was a lot of sloppy play (especially set 2), but a lot of very solid play as well. They seem to be a little more consistent than earlier in the season, but it's been a while since I've seen them in person (missed a home game because of an out-of-town wedding). There is a tough stretch coming up after the next two games - host KU, @ BU, host UT, host KSU, @ WVU, @ OU. Hope they can at least split them.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Thanks again for the images. Players you imaged were somewhat in order of how I'd value their Importance in the OU mattch: Bigbee came through when needed and more, after a spell laxity; Kuhrt was so smart and strong with well-placed kills and is growing into a potent, reliable outside hitter; Horner - whether serving, setting and in craftiness - has opponents wary of her; West had 11 kills, some key blocks, and is turning into an amazing young force; And, Conaway has to be one of the top young players in the league.

Last edited:

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Thanks again for the images. Players you imaged were somewhat in order of how I'd value their Importance in the OU mattch: Bigbee came through when needed and more, after a spell laxity; Kuhrt was so smart and strong with well-placed kills and is growing into a potent, reliable outside hitter; Horner - whether serving, setting and in craftiness - has opponents wary of her; West had 11 kills, some key blocks, and is turning into an amazing young force; And, Conaway has to be one of the top young players in the league.

I could see Kuhrt emerging as a Carly Jensen type player. Carly was under the radar until she needed to step up with Hockaday's injury. Kuhrt is strong, and was really impressive with all facets of her game in this match. Capezio still may be an all-around player, but like Hockaday, might end up better in some roles than others.

Bigbee looked as dynamic as she has all year. She had been nearly AWOL on blocking and finally was a presence at the net in the match.

Conaway is amazing. In mid flight, while setting up a swing with her right, she switched to hit it with her left -- that was amazing. I think there is a photo of her doing that in either Wesley's set or the Facebook set.

Berta also stands out as really showing some tenacity side by side with Nolan.