Volvo Going Electric/Online Only By 2030

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I saw some reviews on the F-150 and it looks very impressive. I really wanted to get a Model Y this year but I just don't think I'm ready yet and will wait until the next vehicle, which I hope will also have better autonomous driving options.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I saw some reviews on the F-150 and it looks very impressive. I really wanted to get a Model Y this year but I just don't think I'm ready yet and will wait until the next vehicle, which I hope will also have better autonomous driving options.

Agreed. And starting at $40k is intriguing too (but also going up to $90k...no different than most gas/diesel trucks). My concern is that they are taking orders Fall 2021 for Spring 2022 deliveries. Almost no one is hitting their delivery date targets with many manufacturers and models being more than a year behind. I don't want to wait 2 years for the vehicle as my current car is over 150k miles and I use it for moderate work travel and need high reliability (that's been one benefit of COVID is I've put less than 8k miles on it over the past 15 months).

I think I'd go Tesla Model Y if the tax credit came back or I'd hold out for the Ford 150 electric next year.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Yeah, I’m wishing the Jeep MPGe was higher, and things will shake out more in 3 years for sure.

Unfortunately the jeep 4xe will never get good gas mileage, simply because it's a Jeep.

Electric vehicles will be very interesting over the next 5-10 years especially as more "normal" people get them and not the diehards and fanatics.

One tricky thing in my mind is how do they handle people in apartments or heavy urban areas where you don't have an assigned parking spot or are in a concrete parking garage or similar.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Agreed. And starting at $40k is intriguing too (but also going up to $90k...no different than most gas/diesel trucks). My concern is that they are taking orders Fall 2021 for Spring 2022 deliveries. Almost no one is hitting their delivery date targets with many manufacturers and models being more than a year behind. I don't want to wait 2 years for the vehicle as my current car is over 150k miles and I use it for moderate work travel and need high reliability (that's been one benefit of COVID is I've put less than 8k miles on it over the past 15 months).

I think I'd go Tesla Model Y if the tax credit came back or I'd hold out for the Ford 150 electric next year.

Shame it isn't still around. I highly doubt they ever bring the tax credit back.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

2 years is about perfect for me. I’ve got one reserved.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Shame it isn't still around. I highly doubt they ever bring the tax credit back.

Part of me would argue that the industry is so close to the tipping point, they don't need the credit anymore. It distorts the market and mostly helps the well off buy spiffy cars.

The other part of me would argue that in the absence of a carbon tax (most efficient and least disruptive way to reduce CO2 emissions) that the tax credit is maybe a decent substitute. And that those spiffy cars will eventually be cheaper used cars that will fall into the hands of the less well-off.

• Disagree
Reactions: BigCyFan

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Part of me would argue that the industry is so close to the tipping point, they don't need the credit anymore. It distorts the market and mostly helps the well off buy spiffy cars.

The other part of me would argue that in the absence of a carbon tax (most efficient and least disruptive way to reduce CO2 emissions) that the tax credit is maybe a decent substitute. And that those spiffy cars will eventually be cheaper used cars that will fall into the hands of the less well-off.

I want to agree with you, but can't. I don't think the industry is at a tipping point - I think it WANTS to be at a tipping point but the fact is the charging infrastructure just isn't there yet. So I think the tax credit + EV infrastructure spending proposed by Biden will tip the industry and make purchasing an EV more mainstream. I don't think we are there yet.

EV sales were around 300,000 annually for the past two years. Compared to 4-7 million per year total cars sold in the US annually.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Unfortunately the jeep 4xe will never get good gas mileage, simply because it's a Jeep.

Electric vehicles will be very interesting over the next 5-10 years especially as more "normal" people get them and not the diehards and fanatics.

One tricky thing in my mind is how do they handle people in apartments or heavy urban areas where you don't have an assigned parking spot or are in a concrete parking garage or similar.

I was listening to CNBC today and they were talking with the CEO of a company who was installing fast charge stations at 7-Eleven locations. In a nutshell, in about 15 minutes you could get around 150 miles worth of charge for something like $8-10. That would be inconvenient as hell, but then again finding a gas station in those areas is no easy task either.

I could see places like gyms, grocery stores, and malls having for profit charging centers. Just swipe your card and go shopping.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was listening to CNBC today and they were talking with the CEO of a company who was installing fast charge stations at 7-Eleven locations. In a nutshell, in about 15 minutes you could get around 150 miles worth of charge for something like $8-10. That would be inconvenient as hell, but then again finding a gas station in those areas is no easy task either.

I could see places like gyms, grocery stores, and malls having for profit charging centers. Just swipe your card and go shopping.
I view it as a race right now for who wins the battle for charging station money. Gas stations / convenience stores are going to get left behind if they don’t adopt quick.

if I were Starbucks, I’d have quick charging stations at every store in 2-3 years. It’s perfect for coffee shops.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I view it as a race right now for who wins the battle for charging station money. Gas stations / convenience stores are going to get left behind if they don’t adopt quick.

if I were Starbucks, I’d have quick charging stations at every store in 2-3 years. It’s perfect for coffee shops.
Some are already planning it, but you'd be shocked at some of the major C-Store chains that are completely ignoring the fact that in 10 years, every new car will be EV.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Thing is it should really be at places like malls, restaurants, and grocery stores where people are going to be just sitting anyway, for longer periods of time. There really shouldn’t be a need for convenience stores because you don't need the added problem of transporting fuel safely and all that. You could probably pretty easily install them at a lot of different places because all you need is a post hooked up to power, not huge submarine sized fuel tanks buried under the ground.

Reactions: CycloneErik

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I disagree here - people get coffee in the morning, presumably right after their car has been sitting in their garage all night long charging up.

Again though, I think the charging thing is completely overblown. Most homes have two cars. It will make sense to have one EV for daily driving and all the normal stuff you do, and another for longer trips. How many times a year do I drive more than 300 miles in a day? 2 or 3 times? It's just absolutely not a concern of mine. It's 200 miles to KC. I'm going to be still at 1/3 of a tank and I'm just going to find a hotel that has charging stations as part of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bawbie

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa

150k isn't exactly anything to worry about reliability wise at all, I just bought a work beater last month with 136k on it and expect to take it well over 200k easily..

Reactions: cycloneworld

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Not sure how factual this statement is.

I mean we already have multiple major manufactures telling us so much, but go ahead and doubt it. :)

It might take 15ish years or so, but we will get to that point where new cars won't be ICE anymore.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I mean we already have multiple major manufactures telling us so much, but go ahead and doubt it. :)

It might take 15ish years or so, but we will get to that point where new cars won't be ICE anymore.

Manufacturers are pushing it because it drastically cuts labor and material costs.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Manufacturers are pushing it because it drastically cuts labor and material costs.

Isn't that a good thing? Won't that make cars cheaper in the long wrong?