Voyager 1 is likely dead

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
With the ability to launch from earth with conventional combustion (rocket booster) technology and then employ ion engines to continually accelerate (admittedly very slowly), a small craft mission that will take years to leave the solar system could be traveling at quite high rates of speed by the time it leaves the solar system.
Conceptual design for a twin ion engine spacecraft.
file.jpg

Alswelk

Slightly Radioactive
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2006
Albuquerque, NM
So the whole "engineering archaeology on technology from the 70s that its builders didn't expect to live this long" hits a little close to home. Pretty sure the designers of the machine I work on would faint if they knew it was still functioning, more or less in its original configuration, ~50 years later. Lots of decisions (undocumented of course) appear to have been made with a 10-year or so lifespan in mind.

We, at least, have the advantage of being mere meters away from our problem child (although one certainly couldn't get close enough to touch anything, at least not for long), instead of literally across the solar system!

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Aliens resuscitated it, clearly. If it starts heading back to Earth, watch The Signal on Netflix.

What is amazing to me is we built a craft an eternity ago in technological terms that is unbelievably still working (ish) and communicating back to Earth from unimaginable distances... but we still can't get a lander to hit feet-first on the moon.

Not trying to minimize the extreme amount of work and science to land something on the moon, just a recognition of how little space exploration has advanced over the past 50 years relative to other things.
What do you mean we can’t get a lander to hit feet first on the moon? We have landed many on Mars successfully as well as the moon.

The recent landing on the moon was not a NASA project so it should be evaluated accordingly. Also, it’s harder to land things on other solar bodies than many understand.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So the whole "engineering archaeology on technology from the 70s that its builders didn't expect to live this long" hits a little close to home. Pretty sure the designers of the machine I work on would faint if they knew it was still functioning, more or less in its original configuration, ~50 years later. Lots of decisions (undocumented of course) appear to have been made with a 10-year or so lifespan in mind.

We, at least, have the advantage of being mere meters away from our problem child (although one certainly couldn't get close enough to touch anything, at least not for long), instead of literally across the solar system!

What most people think fighter jets from 50 years ago look like...

1712341681523.png

What they actually look like...

1712341698928.png

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015

I think about this every time I board a commercial jet that would be old enough to drink if it were human.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
NASA hasn't said it officially, but the part of the spacecraft that functions most like a "computer" (it is too old to have a "CPU") is still sending meaningless data, and months after this started happening, NASA's engineers have not been able to fix it.

Part of the problem is that this is the first still-going mission where every single one of the original engineers who designed the mission has died. This guy, in the video below, coined an excellent term, that I believe should catch on, called "spacecraft archeology". That is basically what NASA's current engineers have had to engage in, because they have literally nobody to talk to who was involved in designing the mission.

BTW, this guy's videos are excellent, if you can get past his deep accent. He is very underrated as a YouTube science content creator.

Not so fast my friends. Kudos to @Cytasticlone for beating me.

1713876517506.png