Walters vs. Perrault

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Can someone give me some history on why/when CW and this guy were on radio together?

I think both Ken and Matt were scheduled to be off that week. So Chris was filling in. After the news broke, Matt called in to 'help' out.

Now that I think about it, maybe Matt was in Omaha covering the McDermott hire. I remember being irritated as his circular logic about McDermott that week, he would talk about how ****** of a job Iowa State was but in the same breath talk about how great McDermott was.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Finally listening for the first time. John Walters knew it man. It is so awesome. I love Fred so damn much. #Hoiball #TheRightWay

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Great stuff.

I never thought this was a risky hire. Anyone that followed hoibergs career could tell he new so much about the game. If he had come as soon as he stopped playing I would have said it was risky, but he worked in the front office in the NBA...

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Great stuff.

I never thought this was a risky hire. Anyone that followed hoibergs career could tell he new so much about the game. If he had come as soon as he stopped playing I would have said it was risky, but he worked in the front office in the NBA...

The moment he said he had every NBA GM on speed dial he sold me. #Hoiball

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Has anyone seen anywhere where Perrault has apologized for this or admitted to being 100% wrong on this after the overwhelming success that Fred has had in first 4 years?

If so, please link.

Having not grown up around here with Fred, Perrault was asking valid questions as an outsider. When I heard Fred was hired, I called my brother and the two of us talked about what a stupid hire it was. Man am I glad I was wrong.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Having not grown up around here with Fred, Perrault was asking valid questions as an outsider. When I heard Fred was hired, I called my brother and the two of us talked about what a stupid hire it was. Man am I glad I was wrong.

He was a cocky, clueless, arrogant POS. And look at all hes accomplished since....

Spam

May 21, 2008

A couple of his concerns might have been genuine -- many of us clone fans had the same concerns -- but Perrault was just arrogant here, basically making fun of ISU

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Man this brings me back. Heard this live. Have to admit it makes me really thankful for CF podcasts.

I do think it's funny that Hoiberg has had so much success, especially in comparison to McD both here and at Creighton.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
A couple of his concerns might have been genuine -- many of us clone fans had the same concerns -- but Perrault was just arrogant here, basically making fun of ISU

This is true. For someone who makes his living talking on the radio, he didn't articulate his argument worth ****. Yes, there were concerns about Hoiberg's lack of experience but he was just so dismissive of the circumstances and Hoiberg's connections to Ames. He acted like Hoiberg was just some random guy, not a hometown hero and ISU legend. That hire energized the fanbase and got people talking about the program again.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This is true. For someone who makes his living talking on the radio, he didn't articulate his argument worth ****. Yes, there were concerns about Hoiberg's lack of experience but he was just so dismissive of the circumstances and Hoiberg's connections to Ames. He acted like Hoiberg was just some random guy, not a hometown hero and ISU legend. That hire energized the fanbase and got people talking about the program again.

I think a lot of MP's opinion was based on the fact (for whatever friggin reason) that McD was a good coach and if he couldn't win at ISU, then a guy with no experience had zero shot. I'm not sure he even really figured Fred into the equation beyond his lack of experience. Kind of funny, the guy with no experience has more tourney wins in 4 seasons than McD has in his 3 stops during his career combined.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I hadn't heard that before, thanks for posting.

I find it hilarious that the kind of coach he was looking for was one that "knows how to build a program, knows how to set up recruiting classes" etc. etc. He's looking for a coach that believes you have to build a program up by recruiting high schoolers. Hoiball comes in, completely changes the college basketball recruiting landscape, and succeeds almost immediately. If not for Freddy's forward thinking, we'd be similar to the U of I, in that we keep getting closer, but are still oh so far away.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Man, that guys voice is super annoying...not a good trait of a guy on the radio. Makes me appreciate CW even more on the radio. JW just killed it here...love him.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I get that. However, when you are accustomed to getting to the Final Four at minimum every four years even if you have a limited time left with your current coach you don't trade him away for a coach who hasn't proven he can get there even once.

Disagree all you want, but I think that what you are preaching is more Kool-aid than reason.

I have had Kool aid, Kool aid was a friend of mine. And Fred Hoiberg sir is not Kool Aid.

But if he is Kool Aid, then pour me another glass because whatever we are drinking right now sure tastes good.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Can someone give me some history on why/when CW and this guy were on radio together?

This was an odd day...

I used to do a lot of fill in work on KXNO. Much, much more than I do now. Well on that day, Matt was in Omaha covering McDermott's presser. Ken was in Vegas. Hassel and I were hosting together. John broke the news about Fred. Hassel, working for WHO, couldn't comment on an ABC5 report and had to bounce. Left me alone and Matt just happened to be pulling into the building when this all went down. Because it was his show, he hopped on right before John came on with me and boom...You all know what happened.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I hadn't heard that before, thanks for posting.

I find it hilarious that the kind of coach he was looking for was one that "knows how to build a program, knows how to set up recruiting classes" etc. etc. He's looking for a coach that believes you have to build a program up by recruiting high schoolers. Hoiball comes in, completely changes the college basketball recruiting landscape, and succeeds almost immediately. If not for Freddy's forward thinking, we'd be similar to the U of I, in that we keep getting closer, but are still oh so far away.

In Malcolm gladwells book Goliaths it talks about how sometimes outsiders have advantages because they aren't tied down by the way things "should" be. Hoiberg is an NBA guy, and in the nba you get talent any way possible.