Alert: WARNING: On site avatars

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
I'd rather that they err on the side of caution. If you want to see that stuff, it's a click away.

Thank you. It's pretty sad that the publisher of the site can't post a simple rule without people complaining and trying to test the rules out. Just follow the rules and it's easy for everyone.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I am glad this site is a little more strict on the profanity, nudity, etc. Look over on goEMAW and some other sites and look how idiotic they are. Completely classless.

I like sports, I like it clean. The other stuff is garbage. I am here to read/discuss sports/issues with other fanatics, not look for naked chicks and watch fans swear at each other.

So I am saying thanks to the mods and Chris for running a clean, classy site.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I am glad this site is a little more strict on the profanity, nudity, etc. Look over on goEMAW and some other sites and look how idiotic they are. Completely classless.

I like sports, I like it clean. The other stuff is garbage. I am here to read/discuss sports/issues with other fanatics, not look for naked chicks and watch fans swear at each other.

Well said. Rep to you

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

The man in your avatar is showing to much skin....

Please change it.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The whole "family site" aspect is vastly overrated and a joke IMO.

In the interest of adding perspective and with all due respect, your view on this matter is a little skewed as you do not have access to the private messages, rep comments, emails, etc that mods and site owners receive from both active posters and lurkers saying thanks for keeping the site civil and family friendly.

And as Cyclonepride mentioned earlier, the rest of the internet is chock full of sites that offer a more adult message board experience. If you feel that CF and it's "joke" notion of family friendliness does not appeal to you, well I don't think anyone is twisting your arm.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
In the interest of adding perspective and with all due respect, your view on this matter is a little skewed as you do not have access to the private messages, rep comments, emails, etc that mods and site owners receive from both active posters and lurkers saying thanks for keeping the site civil and family friendly.

And as Cyclonepride mentioned earlier, the rest of the internet is chock full of sites that offer a more adult message board experience. If you feel that CF and it's "joke" notion of family friendliness does not appeal to you, well I don't think anyone is twisting your arm.

Censoring jesus, and or getting told not to say ******.....Muhammad? I don't know if this is a convo I should have in private with a mod, but if someone is that put off by someone saying a holy figure that you have to censor it is a little wild imo.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Personally, i think when it goes too far is when things that would be ok on tv or on many mainstream 'general audience' sites get deleted\blocked\filtered. Not saying CF should be Shaggybevo, but it doesn't need to be a church either.

Not my call in the end, but just my opinion.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

So creating a thread poking fun at a rival coach's diabetes is family friendly.... got it.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Personally, i think when it goes too far is when things that would be ok on tv or on many mainstream 'general audience' sites get deleted\blocked\filtered. Not saying CF should be Shaggybevo, but it doesn't need to be a church either.

I'd agree with this.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I know I am good since no one here probably even knows what mine is.
Yep. No clue. Sharing hints?

D-X Oil company advertising from 1942. My dad ran a filling station in Strawberry Point Iowa and saved the canvas posters. There are four of them, all featuring Disney's Dumbo. Haven't ever found any others googling around. Here are two of them:

FREEAIR_500x625.jpg

FILLERUP500x650.jpg

Reactions: CycloneErik

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009

/agree

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Censoring jesus, and or getting told not to say ******.....Muhammad? I don't know if this is a convo I should have in private with a mod, but if someone is that put off by someone saying a holy figure that you have to censor it is a little wild imo.

when it comes to the censored word above, it was to the point where it was being used more in a derogatory sense than it was in the proper sense. Unfortunately, the software that the site is built on doesn't have the ability to differentiate usage, and so the determination was made to add it to the filter. It's unfortunate that it had to come to that, but we had many, many complaints that it's derogatory use had gotten out of control.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
when it comes to the censored word above, it was to the point where it was being used more in a derogatory sense than it was in the proper sense. Unfortunately, the software that the site is built on doesn't have the ability to differentiate usage, and so the determination was made to add it to the filter. It's unfortunate that it had to come to that, but we had many, many complaints that it's derogatory use had gotten out of control.

The problem with complaints is, they dont always necessarily reflect the general views of a community. You'll just end up appeasing the squeaky-wheel types.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So creating a thread poking fun at a rival coach's diabetes is family friendly.... got it.

and what happened to that thread? It was deleted in a very short time. Mods are not without error. I'm as passionate of an Iowa State fan as any other poster on the site. Sometimes that passion gets the better of me. Thankfully, there are a bevy of other mods on the site who do not hesitate to enforce site rules even if it is another mod that breaks them.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The problem with complaints is, they dont always necessarily reflect the general views of a community. You'll just end up appeasing the squeaky-wheel types.

That's a great point. You can't please everyone. That's why you aren't likely to see any change in the policy in response to the squeaky wheels in this thread.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
It's really not that difficult. The owners don't want scantly clad women or profanity.

Yes, you can see it on TV. Yes, you can find it online. It's everywhere. Why does it need to be on a message board too? I'm a guy, I enjoy that stuff as well, but I guess I don't feel the need to be reading some dude's post online while also thinking of the female body.

Status
Not open for further replies.