Warning to students

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
Just got this email from a friend in the ME department. Watch out fellow students,

Dear ME Students,

We would like to bring the below incident to your attention.

It was reported that one of TA's in Chemical & Biological Engineering department was approached by someone outside of Sweeney, offering him a ride home. He was quite uncomfortable by this stranger approaching him, and fortunately another grad student came out of the building, which caused the individual to jump in his car and speed away.

We would like to encourage you all to be aware of your surroundings, and be careful. This has been reported to the ISU police and I encourage all of you to report any strange incidents to them as well. Please be on the lookout for each other too, and walk with a friend if possible.

Stay safe.

ME Advising Center

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I also heard there was a shady invdividual on a cy-ride over the weekend, that offered rides and bribing others with alcohol, etc. to come hang out and stuff.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Wow, this is getting absurd. I also have another story from a friend that scares me too. Not sure he wants this info out, but he did contact police about it. I used to feel safe in Ames, now not so much.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Wow, this is getting absurd. I also have another story from a friend that scares me too. Not sure he wants this info out, but he did contact police about it. I used to feel safe in Ames, now not so much.

Could you tell us the story without using names, so then we know what to look out for?

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Boy, ISU Police better amp up security big time if they haven't already. I sure hope they aren't taking these stories lightly. I can't even count the number of times I walked out of Sweeney alone late at night...it gives me chills.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I also heard there was a shady invdividual on a cy-ride over the weekend, that offered rides and bribing others with alcohol, etc. to come hang out and stuff.

Probably just a lonely guy trying to make a friend. Its gotta be pretty rough when you have to resort to riding around on the drunk bus offering free beer. :smile:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Boy, ISU Police better amp up security big time if they haven't already. I sure hope they aren't taking these stories lightly. I can't even count the number of times I walked out of Sweeney alone late at night...it gives me chills.

No kidding, I walked across campus at night all the time and didn't think twice about it.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
If you really want to feel unsafe, come to the University of Illinois. We've had a fairly regular stream of muggings lately, probably not all by the same person/group of people. The building I teach in has been burglarized several times. Students coming out of that building at night have been robbed at knife-point.

I'd take one creepy guy in Ames over all the criminals in Champaign-Urbana on any given day.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
If you really want to feel unsafe, come to the University of Illinois. We've had a fairly regular stream of muggings lately, probably not all by the same person/group of people. The building I teach in has been burglarized several times. Students coming out of that building at night have been robbed at knife-point.

I'd take one creepy guy in Ames over all the criminals in Champaign-Urbana on any given day.

Yeah that's pretty scary too, but I think the fact that this guy is trying to potentially abduct young men is extra creepy due to this Lacina kid missing. Everyone is kind of walking on pins and needles.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
the people that saw these people i assume can give a description to police including the person on the bus.

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale
Wait. So they thought this email was only relevant to ME students? So the rest of the student body has nothing to worry about?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

I agree, however, the populations are very different. Champaign and Urbana together are roughly 115,000 where as Ames is only 50,000. Champaign and Urbana are basically the same town connected by the University of Illinois. When you get bigger populations, you get more serious crimes on a more consistent basis. I've been there enough to know the area a little bit, and my sister goes there for school.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
Wait. So they thought this email was only relevant to ME students? So the rest of the student body has nothing to worry about?

Well the ag kids usually are wearing their **** kickers and sporting a nice pocket knife. The ME kids are easy tagets with their graphing calculators and whatnot.

Reactions: CyForPresident

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Well the ag kids usually are wearing their **** kickers and sporting a nice pocket knife. The ME kids are easy tagets with their graphing calculators and whatnot.

That's kind of funny.

Call me anal, but when I had to walk home in the dark by myself on campus I always had keys in hand.

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids

I agree that Champaign is probably less safe than Ames but it's the thought of a weirdo possibly stalking and/or abducting young men added with the missing student that is really making people feel unsafe.

Also, I have been robbed at knife point in CR and last August got sucker struck with a blunt object to my face in Ames, when I wasn't even involved in the situation. My jaw was broken and my buddy who saw it happen from a distance said he thought the object resembled a gun, but wasn't 100%. I'll admit I could have avoided that situation, I went up to one of the troublemakers and tried to help the situation by talking to him. (not knowing that a few of them had knives themselves...)