Warning to students

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
That's kind of funny.

Call me anal, but when I had to walk home in the dark by myself on campus I always had keys in hand.

Not at all. It is always better to prepare for the worst case scenario and have it not happen then to have it happen and not be prepared.

I am shocked that an event like that doesn't trigger off a campus wide alert especially after what happened with the missing ISU student. You would think that a story of potentially an attempted abduction on campus would set off all kinds of warnings due to recent events. I always thought an over abundance of caution was totally necessary in situations like this.

It wasn't that long ago if I remember correctly that there were several muggings late at night on campus and one with a gun involved (not 100% sure on that) that spurred DPS to have their officers carry weapons finally.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
The most important thing when something out of the ordinary happens is to report it, ASAP.

I would also advise those who are scared to walk alone, etc to buy some pepper spray. If nothing else, it will give you some piece of mind.

Kind of like the shot gun that I keep under the bed (I live in Kansas City). I doubt I'll ever have to use it, but it sure helps my wife and I sleep better at night knowing that it's there.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Kind of like the shot gun that I keep under the bed (I live in Kansas City). I doubt I'll ever have to use it, but it sure helps my wife and I sleep better at night knowing that it's there.

+1 Confidence due to superior firepower. Nice.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I agree that Champaign is probably less safe than Ames but it's the thought of a weirdo possibly stalking and/or abducting young men added with the missing student that is really making people feel unsafe.

Also, I have been robbed at knife point in CR and last August got sucker struck with a blunt object to my face in Ames, when I wasn't even involved in the situation. My jaw was broken and my buddy who saw it happen from a distance said he thought the object resembled a gun, but wasn't 100%. I'll admit I could have avoided that situation, I went up to one of the troublemakers and tried to help the situation by talking to him. (not knowing that a few of them had knives themselves...)

True, all I'm trying to get at is that the people insinuating that Ames has become significantly less safe as of late are overreacting. We have one kid, who may or may not have been abducted - we don't even know yet, and people are flipping out over it. Ames is still a very safe community, and I would not feel any less safe walking around the campus area at night than I did when I was an undergrad there 5 years ago.

Also, I'm certainly not going to say that the student reporting this suspicious person was lying, but when we have rumors flying about of abductions, then suddenly people start to overreact and human behavior that on any other day might seem slightly abnormal is more likely to be considered strange. Sometimes these stories get exaggerated as they get passed from one person to another.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyched

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
True, all I'm trying to get at is that the people saying they no longer feel safe in Ames are overreacting. We have one kid, who may or may not have been abducted - we don't even know yet, and people are flipping out over it. Ames is still a very safe community, and I would not feel any less safe walking around the campus area at night than I did when I was an undergrad there 5 years ago.

Also, I'm certainly not going to say that the student reporting this suspicious person was lying, but when we have rumors flying about of abductions, then suddenly people start to overreact and human behavior that on any other day might seem slightly abnormal is more likely to be considered strange. Sometimes these stories get exaggerated as they get passed from one person to another.

I don't think people in general are overreacting at all. Ames isn't a dangerous town by any means, but there is some strange stuff going on right now.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I can't remember one time in my 5 1/2 years at ISU that I ever had trouble or thought there may be someone following me on campus at night. The only thing I was worried about was the damn birds by Carver/Music Hall. Keys, knife, 9mm; they are all good things to carry.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
So my pocketknife is ok?

Yes but my number was wrong (its actually shorter than 5"):
Firearms and Other Weapons : Policy Library

Weapons include any pistol, revolver, shotgun, machine gun, rifle or other firearm, BB or pellet gun, Taser or stun gun, bomb, grenade, mine or other explosive or incendiary device, ammunition, archery equipment, dagger, stiletto, switchblade knife, or knife having a blade exceeding five inches in length. Residents of university housing may possess knives having a blade exceeding five inches for cooking purposes (681 IAC §13.14(5).

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Yes but my number was wrong (its actually shorter than 5"):
Firearms and Other Weapons : Policy Library

Weapons include any pistol, revolver, shotgun, machine gun, rifle or other firearm, BB or pellet gun, Taser or stun gun, bomb, grenade, mine or other explosive or incendiary device, ammunition, archery equipment, dagger, stiletto, switchblade knife, or knife having a blade exceeding five inches in length. Residents of university housing may possess knives having a blade exceeding five inches for cooking purposes (681 IAC §13.14(5).

No mention of paintball gun. Glad I never got caught with mine in towers. :smile:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
No mention of paintball gun. Glad I never got caught with mine in towers. :smile:
LOL, welcome to my world. I was the president of the paintball club. I always told the guys to just be smart with them and not to clean them with their doors open in the dorms. I was also a CA, and kept my paintball gear in my room the whole time. People who are passionate about paintball aren't the problem. It's idiots who have some piece of crap gun laying around and think it's funny to shoot stuff up that give us real players a bad name.

I'm glad we never ran into any problems. The university and GSB in particular have been pretty good to us.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Call me anal, but when I had to walk home in the dark by myself on campus I always had keys in hand.

I still do that, all the time. Keys between your fingers and make sure the business ends are pointing out.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Wow, all these stories really surprise me. I've been here for six years and I've never given a second thought to walking campus by myself at night. Then again, I'm a fairly husky guy, so I probably don't look like an easy target, but wow.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Wow, all these stories really surprise me. I've been here for six years and I've never given a second thought to walking campus by myself at night. Then again, I'm a fairly husky guy, so I probably don't look like an easy target, but wow.

Unfortunately thats my problem, I am pretty good built so these weirdos wouldn't mess with me, but just once I wish they would so I could teach them a lesson

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
The letter kind of sounds like an urban legend thing. Is there actual proof this email was sent from the university?