Warning to students

S

st8

there also appears to be a rusty old windowless conversion van driving around town with "free candy" spray painted on the side. you might want to watch out for that guy too!

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Last year in Iowa City I walked outside of a video store at night. As soon as I was out of the light this shady looking guy approached me and told me he was from Illinois and got stuck in Iowa City and needed help getting back home.

He wanted some money or offered to sell his watch etc. I immediately walked back into the light and view of the people in the video store and stated that I couldn't help him and that if he was stuck in Iowa City he should contact the police to get some help. The word police was apparently all he heard me say and he quickly turned away and started walking back into the dark muttering something.

I don't know, the guy might have really needed help, and it bothers me to think I just left another person stranded if he needed help... but something tells me the moment I pulled out my wallet I would have been on the ground and he would have been gone with it.

As Iowans, sometimes I think we are too nice and trusting by nature and that can make us easy targets.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
free-candy-van.jpg
there also appears to be a rusty old windowless conversion van driving around town with "free candy" spray painted on the side. you might want to watch out for that guy too!
That must've been my van....sorry about that :jimlad:

Last edited:

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Last year in Iowa City I walked outside of a video store at night. As soon as I was out of the light this shady looking guy approached me and told me he was from Illinois and got stuck in Iowa City and needed help getting back home.

He wanted some money or offered to sell his watch etc. I immediately walked back into the light and view of the people in the video store and stated that I couldn't help him and that if he was stuck in Iowa City he should contact the police to get some help. The word police was apparently all he heard me say and he quickly turned away and started walking back into the dark muttering something.

I don't know, the guy might have really needed help, and it bothers me to think I just left another person stranded if he needed help... but something tells me the moment I pulled out my wallet I would have been on the ground and he would have been gone with it.

As Iowans, sometimes I think we are too nice and trusting by nature and that can make us easy targets.

Did it ever occur to you that his sole intention was to have you buy a stolen or junk watch? :wink:

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Take it easy psycho...

There is still a chance this did not actually occur. There are people that like to report things that are not real.

LMAO, yea sorry. Didn't mean to offer up any actual proof to you after you were suggesting this was an urban legend kind of thing even though multiple people had already mentioned seeing the e-mail. I guess I'll get back to sitting in the corner banging my head against the wall like the psycho I am. :wink:

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Did it ever occur to you that his sole intention was to have you buy a stolen or junk watch? :wink:

Seems very out of place in Iowa City at 10:00 PM on a weeknight in a VERY low traffic area, but plausible. At any rate I didn't feel safe. I wasn't going to accomodate that scenario!

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
The letter kind of sounds like an urban legend thing. Is there actual proof this email was sent from the university?

I'm in the chemE dept. and I got the email. The TA it is talking about is the TA for my senior lab. That proof enough for you?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
All CyRide employees have been alerted about this incident as well and have been told to be on the look out for this individual or any suspicious activity.

slincoln

Feb 1, 2010
Ames
www.slincoln.com
From ISU DPS:
The ISU Police Division has identified the individual who stopped near the Sweeney Hall bus stop and offered a graduate student a ride on 2/12/10. The identity was confirmed after investigators reviewed CyRide bus video footage which showed a car matching the description given to police. Officers located the car and contacted the owner, an ISU graduate student, who verified that she had stopped and offered a ride to the student due to the cold weather.

And the Ames Tribune:
Ames Tribune > Archives > Ames Tribune > News > ISU Police: ?Unknown man? who offered ride was a woman

A police log entry that caused some concern following the disappearance of Iowa State University student Jon Lacina seems to have been solved, according to ISU Department of Public Safety Director Jerry Stewart.

ISU police received a call from a student who described a suspicious activity at a CyRide Bus Stop at Lot 13 on Feb. 12. The student, who called at 11:38 p.m., reported an unknown man offering him a ride while he was near the bus stop six hours earlier.

The caller described the driver as a white male, approximately 50 years old, 5 feet, 11 inches tall, and driving a light-colored four-door car.

Stewart said this morning that ISU police followed up on the case and were able to locate the car and its driver, who turned out to be a woman.

“They were able to determine who that individual was, and it actually turned out to be a woman, and the person was kind of embarrassed,â€￾ Stewart said. “It was just a simple offer of a ride, and this person is known to do that.â€￾

Stewart said the woman is in her 60s and has a long-time university affiliation.

Stewart said there are no new updates on Lacina’s disappearance. However, he said, the investigation is continuing and new avenues of search are being explored to deal with the inclement weather conditions in and around the city.