*** Washington vs Michigan 2024 FB natty game ***

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I think Texas would have given Michigan a better game based on matchups. I still don't think they would have won though.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
There isn’t anyone in the Big12 that you could pencil in for a Lilly loss. League is very balanced
The problem with this theory is Iowa State has played very well against Texas and Oklahoma the last 5 or 6 years and we were nowhere close to the playoffs.

Maybe in 2020 we would have made it, but that was the weird Covid year.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I think Texas would have given Michigan a better game based on matchups. I still don't think they would have won though.
Yeah Texas defense would've matched up better against Michigan O than Washington O. Would've been quite the battle between Michigan OLine and Texas DLine

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The problem with this theory is Iowa State has played very well against Texas and Oklahoma the last 5 or 6 years and we were nowhere close to the playoffs.

Maybe in 2020 we would have made it, but that was the weird Covid year.
ISU is 1-6 against OU the past 7 seasons, with the covid year obv being a little weird. Sure the scores have been fine but that’s still essentially an auto loss. With a 4 team playoff and the non con issues that simply isn’t going to get it done.

But with a 12 team and the autobid the non con issues don’t matter and you take out the auto loss at OU and replace it with a toss up or (in regards to the new additions) a likely win. Not saying ISU should be pencilled in but there is no reason to go into next year and think there isn’t a very realistic shot.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ISU is 1-6 against OU the past 7 seasons, with the covid year obv being a little weird. Sure the scores have been fine but that’s still essentially an auto loss. With a 4 team playoff and the non con issues that simply isn’t going to get it done.

But with a 12 team and the autobid the non con issues don’t matter and you take out the auto loss at OU and replace it with a toss up or (in regards to the new additions) a likely win. Not saying ISU should be pencilled in but there is no reason to go into next year and think there isn’t a very realistic shot.

They beat OU in 2017.

I'd guess ISU will ebb and flow to a 7-8ish win season next year and not be a playoff team but hopefully the bowls find ways to be more interesting.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
They beat OU in 2017.

I'd guess ISU will ebb and flow to a 7-8ish win season next year and not be a playoff team but hopefully the bowls find ways to be more interesting.
Weird thing to say not even knowing the Big12 schedule. What if you draw a big ten west level of competition?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Weird thing to say not even knowing the Big12 schedule. What if you draw a big ten west level of competition?

I'd guess still the same.

Unless something drastically changes for ISU to have consistency and strength in things like the OL and general fundamentals.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
The opponents are out just not the dates of when they are being played.

It’s a fine draw but who really knows. Hell, there’s still another transfer portal to get through in the spring. Also, you probably don’t have much experience in this given who you root for haha but at Iowa State you unfortunately can’t pencil in wins.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The opponents are out just not the dates of when they are being played.

It’s a fine draw but who really knows. Hell, there’s still another transfer portal to get through in the spring. Also, you probably don’t have much experience in this given who you root for haha but at Iowa State you unfortunately can’t pencil in wins.
Fair point, I also didn’t realize the opponents had been announced yet as madguy pointed out.

Kansas and Utah on the road is annoying but outside of those two it sets up really well for ISU, especially with K-state losing most of their offense. If you can get Kansas towards the end of the season could see a trip to the title game.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
The idea that people would want ISU in the bottom half is wild. ISU has a very clear path to the playoff every year. There isn’t anyone in the Big12 that you could pencil in for a Lilly loss. League is very balanced
I think the New Big XII will be a very good fit for ISU and I agree, making a 12 team play-off isn't an impossibility. And, as an ISU fan, I don't mind being an underdog. But the proposal to pay D1 athletes along with the culture where players are making over 1 million per year in NIL money just isn't what college sports should be about. Academics is bound to be an afterthought for too many players. Athletic Department budgets are already way too large. I think it's good that athletes don't have to live in poverty, but I don't think it's good when they earn way more that their professors or the people in the stands.

Reactions: NoCreativity

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

They've beaten Oklahoma twice, in 2017 and 2020. They also should have beaten them in Norman in 2019. So they could very easily be 3-4 instead of 1-6 against them, that's hardly an automatic loss since Campbell has been here.

I understand the logic, ISU is 6-3 numerous times in the current Big 12, so should be even better because all the teams are more balance. Unfortunately I doubt it's as easy as that.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I think the New Big XII will be a very good fit for ISU and I agree, making a 12 team play-off isn't an impossibility. And, as an ISU fan, I don't mind being an underdog. But the proposal to pay D1 athletes along with the culture where players are making over 1 million per year in NIL money just isn't what college sports should be about. Academics is bound to be an afterthought for too many players. Athletic Department budgets are already way too large. I think it's good that athletes don't have to live in poverty, but I don't think it's good when they earn way more that their professors or the people in the stands.
We can agree to disagree on that but I completely understand and get where you are coming from and know that you’re not alone with this thought

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Most of the postgame talk today is about the dominant Michigan defense. Who are considered to be their top picks in the draft?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
They've beaten Oklahoma twice, in 2017 and 2020. They also should have beaten them in Norman in 2019. So they could very easily be 3-4 instead of 1-6 against them, that's hardly an automatic loss since Campbell has been here.

I understand the logic, ISU is 6-3 numerous times in the current Big 12, so should be even better because all the teams are more balance. Unfortunately I doubt it's as easy as that.
Well the winner of the Big12 championship game (which would get the auto bid) has been OU or Texas 12 of the last 14 times. With those teams gone that should open up the possibility of a wider variety of teams getting in just by default. ISU has been 6-3 a lot so sub out those teams, get to 8-1 or maybe 7-2 and you should be in the title game where you would play a team fairly evenly matched.

Again not easy or guaranteed but extremely realistic

• Optimistic
Reactions: NoCreativity

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Well the winner of the Big12 championship game (which would get the auto bid) has been OU or Texas 12 of the last 14 times. With those teams gone that should open up the possibility of a wider variety of teams getting in just by default. ISU has been 6-3 a lot so sub out those teams, get to 8-1 or maybe 7-2 and you should be in the title game where you would play a team fairly evenly matched.

Again not easy or guaranteed but extremely realistic
I'm glad you mentioned the Big 12 championship, that's another instance where we should have beaten them and I forgot about it. So we could very easily have 4 wins against them if a couple plays went differently.

• Informative
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Most of the postgame talk today is about the dominant Michigan defense. Who are considered to be their top picks in the draft?
Well, their best NFL prospects are sophomores in Graham, Johnson, Grant, and Moore. Stewart is a junior I believe so he could go. Rod Moore could go. Honestly, for the 2024 draft, they probably don't have anyone that's in the first round. I would think Sainristils size will hold him back, the two LBs are at a devalued position, Josh Wallace will probably get drafted at corner but not high. Same with Paige at safety. It's kind of an odd thing where outside of OL I don't think there is going to be high end draft picks on that roster. Next year could be massive, though, especially if a couple come back and improve. You could make a case their defense doesn't drop off next year, though I wouldn't buy it because I don't think Minter will be there.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Only a tiny fraction of college football players are making anywhere near that in NIL. Most NIL deals are with local businesses. Nailing down actual figures is still tricky but according to Ross Dellenger at SI the average annual NIL payouts for college football players is between $10k and $50k, and only around 5 players per roster on average are making north of $100k per year, and I think he was focusing on SEC programs, so that might be more than other P5 programs.

I don't disagree that any amount of NIL $$$ is a drastic departure from what college football used to be about, but for most players it isn't nearly as lucrative as people think.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Well, their best NFL prospects are sophomores in Graham, Johnson, Grant, and Moore. Stewart is a junior I believe so he could go. Rod Moore could go. Honestly, for the 2024 draft, they probably don't have anyone that's in the first round. I would think Sainristils size will hold him back, the two LBs are at a devalued position, Josh Wallace will probably get drafted at corner but not high. Same with Paige at safety. It's kind of an odd thing where outside of OL I don't think there is going to be high end draft picks on that roster. Next year could be massive, though, especially if a couple come back and improve. You could make a case their defense doesn't drop off next year, though I wouldn't buy it because I don't think Minter will be there.
Agree with all of this, this was supposed to be the year the defense took a big step back. Next year almost every key player returns.

Might not have a first or second round pick this year which is wild.

Edit*** corum should go in the second but the RB position is so devalued you never know

Last edited:

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Only a tiny fraction of college football players are making anywhere near that in NIL. Most NIL deals are with local businesses. Nailing down actual figures is still tricky but according to Ross Dellenger at SI the average annual NIL payouts for college football players is between $10k and $50k, and only around 5 players per roster on average are making north of $100k per year, and I think he was focusing on SEC programs, so that might be more than other P5 programs.

I don't disagree that any amount of NIL $$$ is a drastic departure from what college football used to be about, but for most players it isn't nearly as lucrative as people think.

I’d love to read that Dellenger story. I’ve said this before, but I believe a lot of these reported NIL deals are overinflated. In an interview with Joel Klatt on a local Denver radio show he basically said as much.

Every party that reports on these deals has incentive to make them look bigger than they are in reality. The players side, to increase bidding wars between potential suitors, the collective’s side (sorry Blum) to increase donations, the coaches side to get more money for recruits, the media’s side to get more clicks. And there is no way to actually fact check these NIL deals because they aren’t reported anywhere.

I also think we are overvaluing how much money the schools’ fans can actually pony up for these players. Some of these reported NIL deals would be more than NFL teams are willing to pay their starters. Sorry, but Tennessee doesn’t have more money than the Houston Texans

• Winner
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron