*** Washington vs Michigan 2024 FB natty game ***

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I’d love to read that Dellenger story. I’ve said this before, but I believe a lot of these reported NIL deals are overinflated. In an interview with Joel Klatt on a local Denver radio show he basically said as much.

Every party that reports on these deals has incentive to make them look bigger than they are in reality. The players side, to increase bidding wars between potential suitors, the collective’s side (sorry Blum) to increase donations, the coaches side to get more money for recruits, the media’s side to get more clicks. And there is no way to actually fact check these NIL deals because they aren’t reported anywhere.

I also think we are overvaluing how much money the schools’ fans can actually pony up for these players. Some of these reported NIL deals would be more than NFL teams are willing to pay their starters. Sorry, but Tennessee doesn’t have more money than the Houston Texans
Agreed I don’t want to throw shade at CW on here as I’m a guest but the numbers that are floated on here for lineman and QB’s are no where close to reality. Yeah the top stars are getting paid but the average starter in the P4 is between 5-50K

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I’d love to read that Dellenger story. I’ve said this before, but I believe a lot of these reported NIL deals are overinflated. In an interview with Joel Klatt on a local Denver radio show he basically said as much.

Every party that reports on these deals has incentive to make them look bigger than they are in reality. The players side, to increase bidding wars between potential suitors, the collective’s side (sorry Blum) to increase donations, the coaches side to get more money for recruits, the media’s side to get more clicks. And there is no way to actually fact check these NIL deals because they aren’t reported anywhere.

I also think we are overvaluing how much money the schools’ fans can actually pony up for these players. Some of these reported NIL deals would be more than NFL teams are willing to pay their starters. Sorry, but Tennessee doesn’t have more money than the Houston Texans
This also has some interesting info on NIL from 2022.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Agreed I don’t want to throw shade at CW on here as I’m a guest but the numbers that are floated on here for lineman and QB’s are no where close to reality. Yeah the top stars are getting paid but the average starter in the P4 is between 5-50K
It’s hard to know what reality is. All we’re told is that we are nowhere near the NIL budget of most Big10, SEC, Big 12 schools. Whatever that is.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Nailing down actual figures is still tricky but according to Ross Dellenger at SI the average annual NIL payouts for college football players is between $10k and $50k, and only around 5 players per roster on average are making north of $100k per year,
The fact remains that some players are earning 6 or 7 figures and it's affecting where they choose to attend college and is having a negative effect on competitive balance. Even 50K per year is more than the national average income and in my opinion, has a dramatic effect on the college experience with more negatives than positives.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
The fact remains that some players are earning 6 or 7 figures and it's affecting where they choose to attend college and is having a negative effect on competitive balance. Even 50K per year is more than the national average income and in my opinion, has a dramatic effect on the college experience with more negatives than positives.
Sure. But those aren’t players that would likely be at ISU anyway. Those are like top 10 draft picks or heralded high school recruits. And the $5+ million figures thrown out for some players are just flat out inaccurate or agenda-driven in my opinion. Honestly over $2M, and I get suspect.

I won’t argue with you on the impact of $50K to a student-athlete (whether positive or negative). More important to me is that is an attainable figure for ISU. Blum said his goal is a $2M budget for next year. Well if the average NIL deal is $50K, ISU can retain (or recruit) 40 players across all its sports, and fill in the rest from there. That covers starters for FB, MBB, and WBB and then some.

That’s significant imo. If everyone was truly making 6-7 figures then we’d be toast.

• Winner
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
1. Players have been getting paid under the table for decades. Including former Iowa State players. If they weren’t getting cash in hand they were getting free cars, groceries, ect.

2. This year was probably the most competitively balanced season in over 8-10 years. There were 6-8 teams that could have won it all.

Let’s not clutch pearls and act like this all brand new. It’s just openly talked about now.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
2. This year was probably the most competitively balanced season in over 8-10 years. There were 6-8 teams that could have won it all.
The competitive balance I'm talking about is between the top and bottom half of conferences. Or, to put it another way, the schools with the top 20 athletic budgets compared to the bottom half.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
The competitive balance I'm talking about is between the top and bottom half of conferences. Or, to put it another way, the schools with the top 20 athletic budgets compared to the bottom half.
When was there competitive balance between the haves and the have nots?

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Sure. But those aren’t players that would likely be at ISU anyway. Those are like top 10 draft picks or heralded high school recruits. And the $5+ million figures thrown out for some players are just flat out inaccurate or agenda-driven in my opinion. Honestly over $2M, and I get suspect.

I won’t argue with you on the impact of $50K to a student-athlete (whether positive or negative). More important to me is that is an attainable figure for ISU. Blum said his goal is a $2M budget for next year. Well if the average NIL deal is $50K, ISU can retain (or recruit) 40 players across all its sports, and fill in the rest from there. That covers starters for FB, MBB, and WBB and then some.

That’s significant imo. If everyone was truly making 6-7 figures then we’d be toast.
Just to correct you. Our goal is to get to $4-5 million (which based on our research from those who would know) would put us in the middle to back of pack in the Big 12.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Tyrese Hunter.
That was 2 years ago which is ancient history in the NIL world. I’d say we would have had a better shot at retaining him with our current or targeted budgets (not saying we would have, but we could have).

I’m also going to go out on a limb and say Hunter isn’t making $1M

• Winner

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
When was there competitive balance between the haves and the have nots?
Never. I just think unrestricted NIL is making it worse and proposals for the schools to directly pay players would make things worse again.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Never. I just think unrestricted NIL is making it worse and proposals for the schools to directly pay players would make things worse again.
How is NIL making it worse exactly? Not coming at you but plenty of people throw this out and don’t have a legit reason why

• Agree
Reactions: ClubCy

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Just my opinion but the start of the playoff in 2014 to 2020/2021 was the worst “era” of college football. That’s when you really started to seeing all the top recruits consolidated to 3-4 teams (Bama,tOSU,Georgia) and it reflected with the playoffs largely producing reoccurring matchups with an outlier each year.

Now the same 10-15 teams still are getting the top recruits but with the portal you start to see some of these guys moving on for playing time and money. Some go to the same blue chip programs some moving to smaller programs.

• Winner

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Just my opinion but the start of the playoff in 2014 to 2020/2021 was the worst “era” of college football. That’s when you really started to seeing all the top recruits consolidated to 3-4 teams (Bama,tOSU,Georgia) and it reflected with the playoffs largely producing reoccurring matchups with an outlier each year.

Now the same 10-15 teams still are getting the top recruits but with the portal you start to see some of these guys moving on for playing time and money. Some go to the same blue chip programs some moving to smaller programs.
Exactly. I think because the transfer portal and NIL happened around the same time that people just lump the two in together. People see a transfer and automatically assume NIL when it could be a number of things.

The transfer portal has been a huge win for athletes and has helped a ton of teams. Washington played in the championship game soley due to the portal. TCU did the same the year before for the same reason.

• Agree
Reactions: ClubCy

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
We likely won't know the effect for a few years, but a survey of D1ADs said 73% expect it will decrease the competitive balance. Nick Saban thinks so also.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
It would be almost impossible to separate out the effects of the transfer portal and the effects of NIL. Players have transferred for increased playing time or increased exposure for a long time. Money has now become part of the equation.

• Agree

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It would be almost impossible to separate out the effects of the transfer portal and the effects of NIL. Players have transferred for increased playing time or increased exposure for a long time. Money has now become part of the equation.
And I guess I don't see a problem with that. People need to make their peace with that new reality. Yeah, it will be a priority for some players to seek the highest payday possible. Some will have other things as their highest priority. So be it. Time marches on. Football is still being played. TV ratings are still fantastic. This cliff that some people are so damned sure we're about to go off of, doesn't seem to be there just yet.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron