Sat, Oct 08 Oklahoma State, away -- loss

Sat, Oct 15 Texas, away -- loss

Sat, Oct 29 Kansas State (Homecoming), home (duh!) -- Win

Thu, Nov 03 Oklahoma, home -- loss

Sat, Nov 12 Kansas, away -- Win

Sat, Nov 19 Texas Tech, home -- Win

Sat, Nov 26 West Virginia, home -- Win

Yes, ISU finally breaks
through against K-State. Bill Snyder knew CPR better than CPR knew himself. I think the "new guy" will throw a few curve-balls that the "old man" won't expect. There are a few "should win" games, and about an equal number of 50/50 games. Seven and five, plus a bowl game.

Last edited:

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I hope you're right, 7 wins would be an amazing start to Campbells career!

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
My guess is wins against UNI, SJSU, kansas st, and Kansas. This I think we will win 1 from Iowa, Oklahoma st, WVU or TT. 5 wins would be a solid start in my book as long as we look competitive in the other games

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I am thinking maybe 6 wins. We should at least win 4 or 5 games. All depends on the Offensive Line. And on how Lanning plays.

vortex

Jan 30, 2010
OK, ISU has won 8 games total in the last 3 years. I'm all for being optimistic but there's a reason for that record and it's not all coaching related. It's going to take a while to get things turned around, hopefully people are realistic about expectations.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Sat, Sep 03 Northern Iowa, home -- I think we win this one in similar fashion to last year, UNI makes you win in a workman like fashion, something like a 30-14 score. (1-0).

Sat, Sep 10 Iowa, away -- Campbell & co. have won tough games on the road before. Like last year at Arkansas. Our O-Line will really be tested here, i think Iowa takes us by a score. (1-1).

Sat, Sep 17 TCU, away -- TCU will be damn good again. If we had them at home i would give us a better shot at winning, but this may be our toughest game. (1-2)

Sat, Sep 24 San Jose State, home -- I expect a good atmosphere for what will likely be the last fairly warm weather game at Jack Trice this Spring, comfortable win (2-2).

Sat, Oct 01 Baylor, home -- Baylor has so much talent...I think we keep close for awhile, but just not long enough. (2-3)

Sat, Oct 08 Oklahoma State, away -- We should have beaten Okie State last year, but folded again late. We haven't played well in that state for a long while (2-4)

Sat, Oct 15 Texas, away -- Clearly we match up pretty well with Texas if you look at the last 4-5 years. This could very well be the game that is the last straw for Coach Strong. I think we get taken out on a questionable call. (2-5)

Sat, Oct 29 Kansas State (Homecoming), home (duh!) -- Eventually we have to take out the Vampire and Co. don't we? Last year we dominated them until the complete meltdown. We end the skid (3-5).

Thu, Nov 03 Oklahoma, home -- Shouldn't have to explain much here. They have kicked our rears for quite some time. (3-6).

Sat, Nov 12 Kansas, away -- I expect to see a much improved Kansas team here. Beaty is a good coach i think, and should win a few games this year, just not this one. (4-6).

Sat, Nov 19 Texas Tech, home -- Tech really dominated us last year, in what may have been the most deflating game of the season. Here in a cold game, we out-tough Kingsbury's Raiders. (5-6)

Sat, Nov 26 West Virginia, home -- Bowl eligibility hinges on our 12th game this year, with the Mountaineers coming to town. I think WVU underperforms with their talent every year. They did however lose quite a bit of guys on defense (who will be drafted). They come to Ames and put a damper on our bowl hopes. (5-7)

Considering we were a chip shot field goal and an epic fourth quarter meltdown away from being 5-7 last year, i don't think this is unrealistic at all. I could see 6 wins, but could also see 3, unfortunately. I'll stick with 5.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Are you guys assessing what our opponents have returning, or is it a one way street and considering the Cyclone squad only? IMHO, forecasts do little good if both sides are not studiously inspected.

Last edited:

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I like your enthusiasm and confidence OP, but I hope you're not (and others) aren't actually expecting 7 wins in Campbell's first season. I'm trying to temper expectations because people have no right to be upset this first season if a 3 win team doesn't suddenly win 7 games! Basically, I'm trying to be the wet blanket on CF's inevitable gasoline fire.

I would be happy with 4 to 5 wins. If I had to predict, I would say 4 wins (UNI, SJSU, K State, KU/TTU). Our offensive line will be a huge part in whether or not this season is successful and that unit is really questionable.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Least predictable season ever, not just because of coaching change but because with Warren and Lazard we legitimately have some of the best offensive skill players in the conference coming back which is not a common thing.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
We ought to go at least 2-1 in the non-con, with an outside shot at winning in IC. We've won there twice in a row, after all.

I like that 4 of the last 5 are at home, and the only road game in there is at KU. We have done basically **** with home field the last few years, but hopefully we can change that up this year. We need to gain some ground on the middle of the pack. The last several years we've all been saying, "We are due against KSU, Tech, WVU so those are Ws." But each year we've found a way to lose winnable games against them. Hopefully the Campbell regime can win at least one of those.

Our road games at TCU and OSU are almost certain losses, unless our offense improves in a big way. The road game at Texas could be interesting, though... we match up well with them over the last 3 years. They don't have too great of a homefield advantage. If our offense is capable I think we could steal this one.

Hard to put an exact number on Ws. Last year there were at least 3 games (Toledo, OSU, KSU) that could have been easily won with a handful of different decisions. Our margin for error is so slight. Hoping Campbell gives us all a reason to not be cynical about these outcomes. I'm hopeful that we can compete for bowl eligibility.

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I like your optimism. We were so close in 3 games last year. Very little room for error but I think we go 6-6. The Nation Rises!

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Sat, Sep 03 Northern Iowa, home -- win

Sat, Sep 10 Iowa, away -- loss - their Super Bowl

Sat, Sep 17 TCU, away -- loss

Sat, Sep 24 San Jose State, home -- Win

Sat, Oct 01 Baylor, home -- loss

Sat, Oct 08 Oklahoma State, away -- loss

Sat, Oct 15 Texas, away -- loss

Sat, Oct 29 Kansas State (Homecoming), home -- Win

Thu, Nov 03 Oklahoma, home -- loss

Sat, Nov 12 Kansas, away -- Win

Sat, Nov 19 Texas Tech, home -- loss

Sat, Nov 26 West Virginia, home -- loss

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I like your enthusiasm and confidence OP, but I hope you're not (and others) aren't actually expecting 7 wins in Campbell's first season. I'm trying to temper expectations because people have no right to be upset this first season if a 3 win team doesn't suddenly win 7 games! Basically, I'm trying to be the wet blanket on CF's inevitable gasoline fire.

I would be happy with 4 to 5 wins. If I had to predict, I would say 4 wins (UNI, SJSU, K State, KU/TTU). Our offensive line will be a huge part in whether or not this season is successful and that unit is really questionable.
I've found that "hopes" and "expectations" are two entirely different things. I'll hope for seven wins, my expectations are something entirely less, because of the questions on the OL. On the other hand. I think that, given good health, we could have a fairly salty defense. Seven wins isn't out of the picture.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I’m including scores, for the hell of it.
W Northern Iowa 27-17
L at Iowa 23-13
L TCU 38-20
W San Jose State 31-14
L Baylor 49-21
L at Oklahoma State 34-24
L at Texas 24-14
W Kansas State 21-20 (blocked extra point!)
L Oklahoma 42-14
W at Kansas 33-20
L Texas Tech 35-28
W West Virginia 41-35 2OT
5-7 (3-6) tied for seventh

Picking W over KSU, against my better judgment.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Quick calculation shows average prediction to this point: 5.25 wins

FWIW, I think I predicted 5-7 for at least four of Rhoads’ 7 seasons. Highest was 7-5 (2012) and I felt like I was undercutting expectations with that one); lowest 4-8 (might've been last season).

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
4-5 wins.

Most likely wins against UNI, SJSU, Kansas, K-state, then maybe steal one from Iowa, OK State, WVU, etc.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
3 to 4 wins. Hopefully this staff is better in close games.