Way too Early Season Prediction Thread

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
With coaching changes the first couple games are typically sketchy. Starting 0-2 would be unbearable, due to who the games are against, but really only an indication the players are learning a new system. Given our history, how does anyone overlook the purple Hawks in this scenario. A win in game one would be an indicator that Campbell staff is as good as it looks.

One of the things I like about Campbell is that he has been the new head coach before. Hoping that with the experience of taking over a program before he can avoid some of the issues ISU has seen with hiring asst. coaches to their first head coaching jobs.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Having so many "winnable" games late in the season is troubling. A team with no depth needs to get wins early before injuries start piling up. I'm afraid by the time we get to some of those games we could be looking at a depleted roster.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
One of the things I like about Campbell is that he has been the new head coach before. Hoping that with the experience of taking over a program before he can avoid some of the issues ISU has seen with hiring asst. coaches to their first head coaching jobs.
That is nice advantage versus no head coaching experience. There will still be some new experiences. Taking over an unfamiliar program that needs a change is different than taking over an established program you are familiar with. It's good Campbell's crew seems to know what change is needed.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Bobby LaGesse said in his podcast 2-5 wins. Is it just me or does anybody else find him overly pessimistic? I think he's about the only ISU writer I don't follow on Twitter.
I didn't hear the podcast but 2-5 sounds right to me. I would probably had said 3 to 5 myself. It may be because he's a reporter, not a fan, and isn't as biased as we are.

I mean, the OP predicted seven. Being irrationally optimistic is better?

Personally, if it's anything other than 4 or 5 wins I will be very surprised.

Last edited:

ViktorLuzor

May 1, 2016
New Ames, Iowaland
ISU wins at Iowa. And I also predict that while that happens, Iowa will lose at Iowa to the Cyclones of Iowa State. I'm basing this on the fact that it is my opinion that I really like it when ISU beats the Hawks and I am hoping that happens this year. That would be neat.

CySoup

Dec 29, 2015
I don't even know what to think. I have a couple different directions.

One direction is that there is so little talent currently on the team that no matter how good CMC is, that 4 wins is the ceiling with the talent that CPR left here.

The other direction is we have several games against bad teams that how can we NOT get to 4 wins with a capable coach no matter how poor the talent is? I mean UNI, and San Jose St., those are games that should be won by the 2nd team players. Kansas is almost as bad as UNI and San Jose St.. Basically then if CMC can beat the awful teams on the schedule that is a minimum of 3 wins, and then if he can beat the average teams then he could get up to 8 wins as Tech, K-State, Texas, WVU and Iowa are pretty avg. teams.

Basically I'm saying I don't have any clue what CMC is gonna be able to do with this team.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
I don't even know what to think. I have a couple different directions.

One direction is that there is so little talent currently on the team that no matter how good CMC is, that 4 wins is the ceiling with the talent that CPR left here.

The other direction is we have several games against bad teams that how can we NOT get to 4 wins with a capable coach no matter how poor the talent is? I mean UNI, and San Jose St., those are games that should be won by the 2nd team players. Kansas is almost as bad as UNI and San Jose St.. Basically then if CMC can beat the awful teams on the schedule that is a minimum of 3 wins, and then if he can beat the average teams then he could get up to 8 wins as Tech, K-State, Texas, WVU and Iowa are pretty avg. teams.

Basically I'm saying I don't have any clue what CMC is gonna be able to do with this team.

The biggest keys to beating Tech is limiting Mahomes big play with his feet, getting off the field on some 3rd downs and creating a couple turnovers. Their defense is horrible, but their offense can put up enough points to make up for it against bad teams. I think Tech is beatable in Ames.

I think Iowa is beatable this year as well. They lost quite a few guys from a team that ISU stuck with until the final two minutes of the fourth quarter.

Lately, no one knows which Texas team is going to show up. Will it be the Texas team ISU routed last year, or the Texas team that dominated OU last year? They won't overlook us this year, no way, no how. Their season will depend on their FR QB Buechele.

West Virginia is an enigma. Does Holgersen go back to the air raid now that he has a QB again? Do they continue to pound the ball like did last year? Their defense could be one of the best in the conference, but getting them in Ames could be the key.

I think WVU is one of the key games we need to win this year. It not only sends us to the off season with a win, but it lifts us above our Riot Brothers in recruiting. Since Campbell and staff have a good record recruiting in that area of the country, it would be good to be the team that wins the battle on the field. If the conference is looking to expand East (and we know it will be East) having good showings against the teams from that area would be a big plus.

In the end I'm there with you. I see the obvious three wins, and after that we have to beat some teams that we are, pretty much, on par with talent-wise. I see 4-5 wins this year.

Last edited:

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Kansas, KSU, SJSU, and UNI must be wins or it'll be a tough season as fans. We especially owe KSU for last year. I want to beat the purple kitties by 21 or more in Jack Trice.

Iowa is better than us and it's in I.C. but who knows? They always struggle with ISU.

Texas is a crapshoot. I doubt we shut them out again, but I think ISU's Texas and Oklahoma natives have a lot to prove in this game. I say we win again.

OU, Baylor, and TCU - Just don't see it happening in Year 1 of Campbell. Those programs are just too far along right now.

OSU and Texas Tech are probably losses but far from guaranteed. I think we get one of them.

I'll say 6-6 as my prediction. I honestly believe if our Oline and QB play develops our team has 7 or 8 win potential, but we're also a few bad injuries away from being a 3 win team. I really think Campbell will make it an exciting year that'll get even bigger recruits still to come to ISU. They're gonna like what he'll be doing here.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

I'm not at all saying Paul was a good recruiter or developer of talent, but I'd hardly say the cupboards are bare. Warren in the backfield, Lazard-Wesley-Daley-West + at WR, OL is the most unknown but Campos is at least solid, DL has TUCKER, Aka, Thomas +, Harris is a leader at LB, and there are some solid pieces at DB in Cotton-Moya, Tribune & Wiltz.

I will be content if we win 4, happy if we win 5, & ecstatic if we win more than that.

I'm also one who thinks we get K State this year. Not because they're down necessarily, but we've been within a score of them for 5 out of the last 6 meetings, sometimes in heartbreaking fashion. It's not unreasonable IMO to think a couple bounces our way could result in the W.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
It will be interesting to see how this staff handles the adversity of losing. I don't think Toledo lost more than 4 games in a season in the last 4 years. This year, this staff may not win a total of 4 games. How will they react and how will they push the athletes to get better? This is what I am most interested in seeing this year.

go1970cy

Jun 2, 2015
Sat, Sep 03 Northern Iowa, home -- win

Sat, Sep 10 Iowa, away -- Win

Sat, Sep 17 TCU, away -- loss

Sat, Sep 24 San Jose State, home -- Win

Sat, Oct 01 Baylor, home -- win

Sat, Oct 08 Oklahoma State, away -- loss

Sat, Oct 15 Texas, away -- win

Sat, Oct 29 Kansas State (Homecoming), home -- Win

Thu, Nov 03 Oklahoma, home -- loss

Sat, Nov 12 Kansas, away -- Win

Sat, Nov 19 Texas Tech, home -- Win

Sat, Nov 26 West Virginia, home -- Win

First 9 win regular season ever for the Cyclones. Coach Campbell announces he is leaving to coach at Florida State after the bowl game.

CySoup

Dec 29, 2015
I'm not at all saying Paul was a good recruiter or developer of talent, but I'd hardly say the cupboards are bare. Warren in the backfield, Lazard-Wesley-Daley-West + at WR, OL is the most unknown but Campos is at least solid, DL has TUCKER, Aka, Thomas +, Harris is a leader at LB, and there are some solid pieces at DB in Cotton-Moya, Tribune & Wiltz.

I will be content if we win 4, happy if we win 5, & ecstatic if we win more than that.

I'm also one who thinks we get K State this year. Not because they're down necessarily, but we've been within a score of them for 5 out of the last 6 meetings, sometimes in heartbreaking fashion. It's not unreasonable IMO to think a couple bounces our way could result in the W.

This is P5 football, you need about a dozen more players on your list and then you need way better backups to the starters than ISU has. That is how you compete with good/decent teams, you build depth by having talent up and down your roster. I'm not saying that you have 4* talent up and down the roster, but you do want guys that fellow P5 schools at least offered.

CMC is off to a good start brining in talent, but there is a LONG ways to go. I never understood the people who say that the roster had enough "talent" over the last 3 years, and that CPR just couldn't coach. The fact is CPR could coach, and did great with the more talented CGC recruits. He just never did bring in enough talent to compete in the Big12, and that is why he won 8 games over the last 3 years.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The Orlando Sentinel is a rag, so take it for what it's worth. But #114 will probably be pretty accurate considering the meathead coaching the team.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ootball-no-114-iowa-state-20160503-story.html

Wat8.jpg

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
3-9 (1-7)
Wins vs UNI, SJSU, and KU. The Iowa game won't be close and some of the losses will be ugly especially early season, but they'll improve and lose a lot of close games late as usual.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
This is P5 football, you need about a dozen more players on your list and then you need way better backups to the starters than ISU has. That is how you compete with good/decent teams, you build depth by having talent up and down your roster. I'm not saying that you have 4* talent up and down the roster, but you do want guys that fellow P5 schools at least offered.

CMC is off to a good start brining in talent, but there is a LONG ways to go. I never understood the people who say that the roster had enough "talent" over the last 3 years, and that CPR just couldn't coach. The fact is CPR could coach, and did great with the more talented CGC recruits. He just never did bring in enough talent to compete in the Big12, and that is why he won 8 games over the last 3 years.

Yeah, we'll just agree to disagree I guess. You say with the talent we have the CEILING is 4 wins, I'd put it at 6 or 7.

We have too little talent to compete for a Big 12 title, but not too little to compete for a bowl game.