***WBB: 2021 Recruiting Thread***

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I had closed the book on 2021, but I noticed coaches Steyer and Schaben are both recently following 2021 PG Mary Kate King (Dbq Wahlert) on twitter. Potential walk-on maybe?

Interesting, guess you'll be sleuthing the student registry next week to see if she is at ISU!. It is what we pay you the big bucks for. ;)

This forum would not be the same without your recruiting news efforts. Such good stuff.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Interesting, guess you'll be sleuthing the student registry next week to see if she is at ISU!. It is what we pay you the big bucks for. ;)
Full disclosure: I did already check the online directory with no success, but that's because I searched using "Kate" when her legal middle name is Katherine. After fixing that, I can confirm she is indeed a new student at ISU.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Full disclosure: I did already check the online directory with no success, but that's because I searched her full name using "Kate" when her legal middle name is Katherine. After fixing that, I can confirm she is indeed a new student at ISU.

Now I think you have a scoop. Walk-on might be happening.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Could also just be as simple as being a practice squad player (unless those are 100% male) or student manager, but we'll see.

It would be interesting to learn how tall she is. She looks like one of the smallest players on the court in her videos, but in spite of that, she has a dribble-drive-and-score-at-the-rim game. She's a pesky little defender, too. Saw a lot of steals where she just pokes the ball away from someone dribbling it in her senior highlights.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
ISU roster says 5'1", so that 5'6" was way off.

That 5'-1" might be shockingly honest, probably because she is a walk-on.

Sometimes seems gals under 5'-5" have exaggerated heights as in 5-4 is 5-7 or 5-2 is 5-6 etc. :rolleyes: Less for taller gals, maybe only cheat by an inch or to based on position.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
There must be more to her skill set. Bet she has shown ball hawking skills and good outside shooting too.
Highlight videos:

Reactions: StClone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Highlight videos:
King is a combination of "Swiss Army Knife" and "The "Little Engine That Could." Yes! Along with her drives, she has skills in most facets of the game (though highlight distillation of her games may over-amplify them somewhat).

I saw some good outside, pick up and shoot. Three instances in the first two clips of stripping the ball. Decent ball skills and good speed, and quickness. And, she delivered a few nice assists. King may add a usable dimension to this year's team! Nice find.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
ISU roster says 5'1", so that 5'6" was way off.

About that roster. It says Vick is 6-2 and Zingaro is now listed at 6-4. When they were recruited, it was Vick at 6-4 and Zingaro at 6-3. On signing day, Zingaro had grown to 6-4. so who knows what to believe?

We really need Audi Crooks from Algona to commit from the 2023 class to get us out of this funk of underwhelming post players we've been in the last several years. Yeah, I know I'm not giving these two much of a chance and they're young yet, but we got a glimpse of Zingaro last year playing for us and on the Canadian team, where she rode the pine, and I was never impressed with Vick and her production (13.6 ppg, 8.9 RB per game) in high school. Zingaro's stats were much more impressive (23.6 and 15.3) but she played lesser competition too. I guess I'm still holding out hope for her, but Crooks would give us that immovable force in the middle that we've been sorely lacking.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone