***WBB: 2021 Recruiting Thread***

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Denae Fritz awards update related by CycloneNeurotic on another forum has this note (Thanks CycloneNuerotic!):

TwisterSister 2021 recruit Denae Fritz was just named to the regional (Knoxville, TN) all-prep high school girls basketball team.

Here’s today’s story in the Knoxville News Sentinel.(Sat. 4/10) https://amp.knoxnews.com/amp/7015905002

With this selection Fritz is in contention for the All-PrepXtra girls basketball player of the year awarded June 30, 2021.

Another impressive recognition for Fritz. Yes, I think we stole some talent out from under a lot of teams in the South East.
I'd like to follow up with more recent news about Denae Fritz and Maggie Vick. Both of them have made the 2020-21 All-State Girls Basketball Teams selected by the Tennessee Sports Writers Association.

You can check the full list here.

I'd also like to chime in about our roaster construction. The addition of Denae Fritz together with Nyamer Diew plus a healthy MEM will adequately make up for the loss of Maddie Wise and KF at the off-guard and wing positions. Denae Fritz can become that perfect energy player off the bench. Diew can play at the post position when matchups permit but her skinny body type suggests that she can't play at that position in a full game in P6 level competitions. With Kristin Scott's unlikely return for the next season, we still need another P6 level rotational player who can play 20-30 minutes at the post position and can help in the defense and rebounding categories. Imagine that, if we get one more stop on the defensive end or one more offensive rebound, it means one more opportunity to score with our already pretty potent offense. I'm cautiously optimistic about the freshman post players in Izzi and Maggie Vick. However, if we rely heavily on those two plus Mogan Kane to contribute in the post position, and if we still play small-ball lineups in a significant portion of any P6-level game next season, our ceiling will still be limited to a certain level. If our team wants a better shot at the Big12 championship (golden opportunity) and an NCAA Elite 8 berth next season, we need a post player who's close to Kristin Scott's level. Of course, the dream scenario would be getting a Chelsea Poppens kind of player. Izzi and Vick might get there someday but unlikely in the next season. Hopefully, with the recruiting process gradually being back to normal, we can hear some good news about the addition of an impact post player in the next couple of months.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I'd like to follow up with more recent news about Denae Fritz and Maggie Vick. Both of them have made the 2020-21 All-State Girls Basketball Teams selected by the Tennessee Sports Writers Association.

You can check the full list here.

I'd also like to chime in about our roaster construction.

Sorry for riffing on this...but.

Dang this gets me thinking, tailgating, sounds of JT, and the smell of wings!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
WOW!!! F'n nice.

It's a group that covers East Tennessee and Knoxville. She did win the Miss Tennessee Class AAA from the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association which to me carries more weight than these for profit recruiting/promotion groups which seem to be popping up all over the place.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
It's a group that covers East Tennessee and Knoxville. She did win the Miss Tennessee Class AAA from the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association which to me carries more weight than these for profit recruiting/promotion groups which seem to be popping up all over the place.
I don't disagree. But it is a nice article, and it's also good that she won for the second year in a row.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The more information I found about Denae Fritz, the more I like her. I think she's the real deal. If she can buy into our IowaStateWay, she could very well be an upgrade from KF at the guard position. The last time a gal from Tennessee named Alexa Middleton turned out to be a special one, I sure hope the history repeats itself.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The more information I found about Denae Fritz, the more I like her. I think she's the real deal. If she can buy into our IowaStateWay, she could very well be an upgrade from KF at the guard position. The last time a gal from Tennessee named Alexa Middleton turned out to be a special one, I sure hope the history repeats itself.
Biggest thing in that Iowa State Way may well be working to a BIG XII level defense. Fritz's offense is strong but to get that "more than a role player" spot she needs to be a lot more like who I think she resembles in several ways-Maddie Wise.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
New transfer name added to the list: Beatriz Jordão from USF. She's a 6'3" post who was good as a freshman before a season-ending injury, and has played more sparingly the past two years.

Bump.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Updated scholarship chart.

(I've also updated it assuming Kristin and Rae aren't coming back, even without an official announcement.)