***WBB: 2022 Recruiting Thread***

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
The nice thing about Soares is, oddly enough, the fact that she only has one season of eligibility left. She would only count against the 22-23 season, and we have plenty of roster space there. So she would not affect our ability to pick up other transfers.

Reactions: mwwbbfan

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
How do you guys think Soares would transition from the NAIA level to the Big 12? Seems like a big jump.

It’s a concern for sure. But having some playing experience, especially international, definitely helps. She’s got the talent and size for sure.

Reactions: LindenCy

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I've updated the original post with the commitment. I've also updated the scholarship chart:

I imagine this means we won't be seeing Kennedy Brown, although if Brown fancies herself a 4 instead of a 5 she might not be 100% off the table.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Fennelly said Iowa State's roster for next season may not be complete. Joens' sister Aubrey, who would have been a junior in the upcoming season, entered the transfer portal. And Fennelly said Tuesday the Cyclones are still actively recruiting.

"I would be shocked if the roster you're looking at today is the roster we have in September," Fennelly said.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
We got one more schollie remaining, right? Where do we go with it?
We have 3 available for next season (22-23), but we have as few as 1 remaining in (23-24) depending on whether Kane or MEM take bonus COVID years. After that, we have as few as 2 remaining in (24-25) depending on COVID years for Ryan, Donarski, and Diew (and technically Zingaro, but I assume she intends to play in 24-25).

This all assumes nobody transferring away. That's clearly not a safe assumption, but it's all we can go by. Note that the deadline for entering the portal and not being required to sit out a year is May 1, so if we lose anyone else we will find out soon. Note that the deadline is for requesting to enter the portal and the school has 2 days to comply, so some new portal entries might happen on May 2/3.

Because of how our scholarship situation looks, it seems like we'd be happy to bring in additional one-year transfers so they wouldn't affect the 23-24 scholarship crunch. But one-year transfers probably want a place they can be guaranteed playing time, and our roster is very dense with talent next season. Barring injury, we have Ryan, Donarski, Joens having three spots nailed down, some very nice options for the 4 plus backing up the prior three, and a post position with a very talented newcomer, two other solid options with a lot of experience, and two promising younger posts.

So, long story short, I think any additional transfers would have to be a one-year transfer willing to be a depth player (perhaps a successful but not outstanding combo guard or wing from a mid-major wanting to experience being on a top-10 team), or a multi-year transfer willing to accept that they might not see a lot of playing time next season.

As always, here's the updated scholarship chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SchN2JjgScfcUINEeAMyJAwyzbez5HBjinofEVovom0/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
New name added to the list: Justina King, a 5'8" transfer guard from Long Beach State. She's played four seasons at LB so she has one season of eligibility left. She was Big West freshman of the year her freshman season, all-conference second-team her sophomore and senior seasons, and all-conference first-team her junior season. She was also on the all-defense team her sophomore and junior years.

Her shooting is not good, to put it kindly. Her whole career she's consistently shot around 34% from the field and 26% on threes. Only around a third of her shot attempts are threes, so you can't blame that for her low overall FG%. Her FT% is around 75%, though.

Although she's not an exciting name, she could be a really solid option:
  • She's a single-season transfer, so the only season she'd be taking up a scholarship is 2022-23, a year we still have a few available. This would make her a zero-risk addition.
  • She's a very strong perimeter defender (averages ~2 steals per game)
  • She averaged over 4 assists per game last season, so she likely has some PG experience (although I'm guessing she's more of a combo guard)
  • She's good enough to play high-major basketball, but not necessarily good enough to expect a high-major starting spot

As insurance against injury, some additional backcourt rotational depth, someone to spell Ryan for a few minutes at PG, someone to spell Lexi for a few minutes as defensive stopper, or someone to use if a team tries to "Creighton" us again, I think she'd be a solid pickup. She might be kind of a Chassidy Cole, for those who remember her.

Last edited:

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
@mred have you been tracking the other B12 schools' offseason moves? Are Iowa State and Texas still head and shoulders above the rest or will Baylor be back in the mix now?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
@mred have you been tracking the other B12 schools' offseason moves? Are Iowa State and Texas still head and shoulders above the rest or will Baylor be back in the mix now?

I don't generally pay too much attention to other teams' recruiting. Maybe someone else here has?

Added something on Texas and Baylor to the general thread:

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Jkclone15

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Bill unfollowed King, leaving Steyer as the only ISU coach following her. I'd usually remove someone off the list in that situation, but I'll leave King up there as a level 1.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron