***WBB: 2024 Recruiting Thread***

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
One question remains in my mind: why the @#$& is there a state tournament format requiring teams to play two games in one day? Not only because one team gets an extra couple hours to recover relative to the other, but that's certainly one problem with it.
Was wondering the same thing

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Johnston with a 79-23 walkover of DM North. Tanke: 14 pts, 3 reb, 4 ast in what I assume was a rather short night.

Next up: vs SC West (12-10) on Tuesday in the regional final.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Thanks for the game updates - what were your thoughts on RW’s game? Do you think she did enough to win Miss Basketball?
I have zero idea on the second question, but here are my observations on watching two games yesterday:
  • On defense, she is absolutely a floor manager out there. She really seems to understand the different zone defenses they are running. She makes smart risks and effectively cuts off passing lanes, and she seldom fouls.
  • On offense, she's willing to shoot out to 26 feet and can put it up quickly without a lot of space. She can drive and hit pull up jumpers, although given her size I wouldn't expect her to make a habit of trying to drive all the way to the basket too often. She seems to be a good ball-handler against pesky defenses. It never really felt like she was a floor manager on offense -- she would bring the ball up the court, but then the offense felt point-guard-less. That's not a criticism of her or an indictment of her abilities; that's just the way Noblesville seemed to run their offense -- they had several decent playmakers, so they ran lots of iso type stuff.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The portal recruiting season opens in just about 30 days when players can declare. Players have a 45 day period to declare this year, not the 60 days of last year. Maybe a bit early but got thinking about it.

Assuming no one leaves might be optimistic these days but I am going with that for now. I am also assuming Ryan is back, can't imagine a basketball junkie not using her 5th year especially after missing so many minutes this year. No idea if Diew uses her 5th year. She's sort of in the Wise, Scott and Johnson situation to me. We haven't had a non-starter take the extra year have we? I guess Jordão but than she had to injury retire.

Any peeps here have thoughts on what we might be looking for in the 2024 portal? Maybe a shooting guard? Or, pretty full roster and nothing from portal? I might lean to the nothing since I don't see a lot on minutes a transfer would think they would get. We added six players this year that carry into 2024-25 (Williams had to sit out) and adding two more. Wildcard is unexpected departures, that's just the reality of things today.

Posts: Crooks, Natabou (and several good sized forwards to sub if you go small)
Forwards: Brown, Bristow, Diew (?), Williams
Guards: Ryan, Joens, Jackson, Wilson, Tanke, (King, Dawkins not in the rotation)

** bored and under the weather keeping myself entertained.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZorkClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
The portal recruiting season opens in just about 30 days when players can declare. Players have a 45 day period to declare this year, not the 60 days of last year.

Assuming no one leaves might be optimistic these days but I am going with that for now. I am also assuming Ryan is back, can't imagine a basketball junkie not using her 5th year especially after missing so many minutes this year. No idea if Diew uses her 5th year.

Any peeps here have thoughts on what we might looking for in the 2024 portal? Maybe a shooting guard? Or pretty full roster and nothing from portal? I might lean to the nothing since I don't see a lot on minutes a transfer would think they would get. Wildcard is expected departures, that's just the reality of things today.

Guards: Ryan, Joens, Jackson, Wilson, Tanke, (King, Dawkins not in the rotation)
As you listed, we have 13 spots taken out of 15 if everyone comes back including the three covid bonuses (Ryan, Diew, Natabou). I agree with the shooting guard idea -- I think we'd take another Belanger if we can find one. Other than that, it's a matter of replacing any of those 13 who decides not to return.

• Agree

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
The portal recruiting season opens in just about 30 days when players can declare. Players have a 45 day period to declare this year, not the 60 days of last year. Maybe a bit early but got thinking about it.

Assuming no one leaves might be optimistic these days but I am going with that for now. I am also assuming Ryan is back, can't imagine a basketball junkie not using her 5th year especially after missing so many minutes this year. No idea if Diew uses her 5th year. She's sort of in the Wise, Scott and Johnson situation to me. We haven't had a non-starter take the extra year have we? I guess Jordão but than she had to injury retire.

Any peeps here have thoughts on what we might be looking for in the 2024 portal? Maybe a shooting guard? Or, pretty full roster and nothing from portal? I might lean to the nothing since I don't see a lot on minutes a transfer would think they would get. We added six players this year that carry into 2024-25 (Williams had to sit out) and adding two more. Wildcard is unexpected departures, that's just the reality of things today.

If Dawkins wants playing time she has to realize at this point she isn't going to get it here. I'd expect her to transfer. I want someone to replace Hannah's minutes and shooting ability.

Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
As you listed, we have 13 spots taken out of 15 if everyone comes back including the three covid bonuses (Ryan, Diew, Natabou). I agree with the shooting guard idea -- I think we'd take another Belanger if we can find one. Other than that, it's a matter of replacing any of those 13 who decides not to return.

I do have your most awesome roster spreadsheet bookmarked. :D

Thanks again for keeping that up and sharing it.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
One question remains in my mind: why the @#$& is there a state tournament format requiring teams to play two games in one day? Not only because one team gets an extra couple hours to recover relative to the other, but that's certainly one problem with it.
Indiana does the same thing with the boys tournament. When it comes to basketball, Indiana does not like messing with tradition. People still ***** about adding classes to basketball. I thought it was odd to play two games on one day when I first moved to Indiana, but I think it has been that way for a long time. As a fan experiencing it several times, it is actually a fun day. Travel to the game site. Watch your team early in the day. If they win, stick around and watch your team at night. Most of the semi final sites are large historic gyms. As a player, I don't really think it is that big of a deal. Most of these kids play 3 games per day in AAU tournaments, so they are used to multiple games.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

Ryan and Diew have decisions to make. I think Diew would be most likely to graduate and move on if any do. As MRed stated, a shooting guard would def be welcome. We are gaining some def firepower With the two freshmen. King and Dawkins won’t be a part of any rotational plans. Adding a post might only happen if it’s a young one as next year would have limited play time, but after that we do need a backup for Crooks. So either way, the coaches need to recruit a big out of high school or the portal.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
If Soares had been eligible I doubt they would have pursued or gotten Natabou
Well obviously if we had all of them, Soares would run as the 3, Natabou the 4, and Crooks the 5, with Brown as the shooting guard, and Ryan point. Nobody would out-length us ever! :p

• Haha
Reactions: bozclone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Well obviously if we had all of them, Soares would run as the 3, Natabou the 4, and Crooks the 5, with Brown as the shooting guard, and Ryan point. Nobody would out-length us ever! :p
If you want length, run Brown at point and have Bristow or Diew play the 2.

But yeah, Nelly committed to ISU nearly a month after the Soares waiver was denied.

• Agree

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018

I think it would be foolish to think that we don't lose at least someone to the portal. Any rumors, speculation, or facts of who might leave? My guess is Dawkins looks for more playing time somewhere, unless she really wants a degree from Iowa State.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
I think it would be foolish to think that we don't lose at least someone to the portal. Any rumors, speculation, or facts of who might leave? My guess is Dawkins looks for more playing time somewhere, unless she really wants a degree from Iowa State.
I recall someone saying in a thread that Bristow is homesick. As much as I don't want it, I could see her leaving.

Reactions: riceville98

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Johnston rolled over SC West, 93-51, in their regional final. Tanke scored 10 points, again in what I assume was a short night given the score was 63-28 at halftime.

Dragons are 23-0 and the #1 seed in 5A.

Their state quarterfinal game against Valley is at 10 a.m. next Monday (26th). Johnston won the two regular-season meetings by 17 and 37.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone