***WBB: 2024 Recruiting Thread***

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Johnston rolled over SC West, 93-51, in their regional final. Tanke scored 10 points, again in what I assume was a short night given the score was 63-28 at halftime.

Dragons are 23-0 and the #1 seed in 5A.

Their state quarterfinal game against Valley is at 10 a.m. next Monday (26th). Johnston won the two regular-season meetings by 17 and 37.
MaxPreps has them as the #13 gbb team in the nation. https://www.maxpreps.com/basketball/girls/rankings/1/

Tanke is shooting exactly 50% behind the arc (61/122), 66% inside the arc (68/103), and 83% from the line (33/40). She is the leading scorer for a VERY talented team.

Aili Tanke 15.3 ppg (sr, ISU)
Amani Jenkins 13.3 ppg (jr, Marquette)
Jenica Lewis 11.6 ppg (so, one of the top 2026 recruits in the country)
Aaliyah Riley 9.1 ppg (sr, NW Missouri State)
Jaliyah Kinnetz 8.7 ppg (so)

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Johnston rolled over SC West, 93-51, in their regional final. Tanke scored 10 points, again in what I assume was a short night given the score was 63-28 at halftime.

Dragons are 23-0 and the #1 seed in 5A.

Their state quarterfinal game against Valley is at 10 a.m. next Monday (26th). Johnston won the two regular-season meetings by 17 and 37.
Unless Johnston has a complete breakdown, the 5A title should be theirs. The closest game they have been in this year was a 10-point win over Hopkins, MN. They've had a couple of 12-point wins over Dowling.

Reactions: acoustimac

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
MaxPreps has them as the #13 gbb team in the nation. https://www.maxpreps.com/basketball/girls/rankings/1/

Tanke is shooting exactly 50% behind the arc (61/122), 66% inside the arc (68/103), and 83% from the line (33/40). She is the leading scorer for a VERY talented team.

Aili Tanke 15.3 ppg (sr, ISU)
Amani Jenkins 13.3 ppg (jr, Marquette)
Jenica Lewis 11.6 ppg (so, one of the top 2026 recruits in the country)
Aaliyah Riley 9.1 ppg (sr, NW Missouri State)
Jaliyah Kinnetz 8.7 ppg (so)

Maybe my thoughts should go into another thread but responding here.

Though it may not be a big story, we don't have any commitments for 2025 or 2026. The real storyline may be when Fennely pulls the retirement trigger (as he has stated this 2023 class is the beginning of the end). How will that affect players like Lewis who I assume is seriously thinking about us in the mix? The next three years will be BIG with Audi/Brown, Fen may be giving indications of his future, and possibly when the next chapter of WBB leadership will take the helm.

Exciting times!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Ryan and Diew have decisions to make. I think Diew would be most likely to graduate and move on if any do. As MRed stated, a shooting guard would def be welcome. We are gaining some def firepower With the two freshmen. King and Dawkins won’t be a part of any rotational plans. Adding a post might only happen if it’s a young one as next year would have limited play time, but after that we do need a backup for Crooks. So either way, the coaches need to recruit a big out of high school or the portal.
Now I’m really curious why clonebb would mark this as dumb? Really? I’m ready for some insight…

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Another never listed here but is a 6' wing from Wisconsin so sort of in our recruiting region. And it's late in the game for HS kids except for these few decommits. #67 on ESPN list. Other P6 offer was Minnesota.

Last edited:

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I understand that a perimeter shooting team like ISU has to consider Hare, Olsen & Hansford because they're proven or semi-proven commodities, but we already have high-potential young shooting guards (Jackson, Joens, Tanke).

It's no secret I'm a Kelsey Joens fanboy. Ryan is a lead-pipe cinch lock at PG and Brown is pretty much locked in at small forward. A.J. started at #2 late this season and Aili Tanke shot nearly 50% from three over her entire HS career. If we bring in another "2" from the portal, given the Aubrey episode, I'm concerned with the possibility of another departure.

I know for a fact Kelsey loves ISU, as does her family, so this is entirely my speculation. She knows she can score and her number didn't get called much last season. How long do you await an opportunity if the coaching staff is openly trying to "recruit over you"?

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
I understand that a perimeter shooting team like ISU has to consider Hare, Olsen & Hansford because they're proven or semi-proven commodities, but we already have high-potential young shooting guards (Jackson, Joens, Tanke).

It's no secret I'm a Kelsey Joens fanboy. Ryan is a lead-pipe cinch lock at PG and Brown is pretty much locked in at small forward. A.J. started at #2 late this season and Aili Tanke shot nearly 50% from three over her entire HS career. If we bring in another "2" from the portal, given the Aubrey episode, I'm concerned with the possibility of another departure.

I know for a fact Kelsey loves ISU, as does her family, so this is entirely my speculation. She knows she can score and her number didn't get called much last season. How long do you await an opportunity if the coaching staff is openly trying to "recruit over you"?
This has to be very difficult as a coaching staff. Like we need more players just for depth, we only have 8. But there is no point in recruiting players who you think will only ride the bench. So have to both convince transfers and existing players that they will get the playing time they deserve.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

The portal giveth and the portal taketh away. It's the new norm. Every portal add can mean a HS recruit leaving. I think adding a true 4 that is much of a player will be a hard sell. We are a a guard driven small forward three point shooting offense that now finds itself with a talented post to go with our small forward star. Unless you find a Big Rob Energy type of player, what's the sell point to come and be a supporting cast member?

Getting Soares was a portal coup for us. Not sure I see another get like that with the way the other power leagues are setting up.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

Sadly, this is the way of the world. ISU is diff in that you need to accept being a role player. If you want to be the star it’s going to be hard going. I also think the 4 and 5 slots are where our recruiting is likely focused.

Reactions: Cyclad

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I believe everyone agrees that recruiting a FORWARD from the TRANSFER PORTAL would be beneficial. Here's a quick list of forwards compiled by others. I doubt ISU has a shot at Raegan Beers, but we should be able to sell a pre-season Top 10 ranking to somebody on this list! Liza Karlen and Liatu King look like nice one-year options. Go big or go home...

GRACE VANSLOOTEN, SO., F: FROM OREGON

VanSlooten has had a fantastic start to her college career out in Eugene. Don't be surprised to see her come back closer to Toledo, Ohio, though distance won't be a limiting factor here. VanSlooten averaged 15 points and 7.1 rebounds a game in 2023-24 for an Oregon roster that never could find its' footing inside of Pac 12 conference play.

TIMEA GARDINER, SO., F: FROM OREGON STATE

Unlike VanSlooten, Gardiner played deep into March for an Oregon State roster that made a run into the Sweet Sixteen. In the process, she played elite level minutes averaging 11.6 points and 7 rebounds per game. With Oregon State leaving to be a part of the WCC, it's safe to assume that Gardiner will be looking for a home in one of the major four conferences.

LIZA KARLEN, SR, F: FROM MARQUETTE

Karlen is an interesting prospect unlike any in the initial rankings as a potential COVID year frontcourt option. She was as efficient as anyone on the list in how she went about her business during the 2023-24 season posting averages of 17.7 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. Karlan added to that by doing it on 49.7 percent from the field, 35.7 from beyond the arc and 82.2 from the free throw line.

LIATU KING, SR., F: FROM PITTSBURG

King does what she does on the hardwood – rebound and finish. During the 2023-24 season, King averaged a double / double finishing with 18.7 points, 10.3 rebounds per game. More importantly, she did that on 52 percent from the field. King didn't make a single 3-point attempt capping her offensive value to an extent. King was fantastic from the field shooting at a 52.3 percent clip on the year.

RAEGAN BEERS, 6-4, F, Soph., OREGON STATE

Beers is the most recent and most significant Beaver to enter the transfer portal. Beers led Oregon State in scoring (17.5 PPG) and rebounding (10.6 RPG) and the country in field goal percentage (66.4%). She was the Pac-12's freshman and sixth player of the year in 2023 and was a third-team All-American this season. One of the best post players in the country, Beers recorded 16 double-doubles despite missing time late in the season with a broken nose.

JANIAH BARKER, 6-4, F, Soph., TEXAS A&M

The highest-rated recruit in Aggies history is leaving College Station. Barker was the No. 3 prospect in 2022, according to HoopGurlz, but has struggled to live up to those expectations and will seek a fresh start. In 49 games at Texas A&M (an injury limited Barker to 19 as a freshman), she averaged 12.5 points and 6.8 rebounds per game. Barker has the size and all-around skill set to be an impact player immediately at another major conference school. Finding the consistency she never found with the Aggies will be key.

AJAE PETTY, 6-3, F, Sr., KENTUCKY

Veteran departures from the Wildcats' roster came quickly after coach Kyra Elzy was fired. Petty, who made significant improvements from last year (5.7 PPG to 14.7 PPG) and was playing her best basketball at the end of the season, ranked third in the SEC in rebounding (10.6 RPG) and fourth in field goal percentage (50.7%). With more talent around her, Petty, who began her career at LSU, could be even better.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I believe everyone agrees that recruiting a FORWARD from the TRANSFER PORTAL would be beneficial. Here's a quick list of forwards compiled by others. I doubt ISU has a shot at Raegan Beers, but we should be able to sell a pre-season Top 10 ranking to somebody on this list! Liza Karlen and Liatu King look like nice one-year options. Go big or go home...

GRACE VANSLOOTEN, SO., F: FROM OREGON

VanSlooten has had a fantastic start to her college career out in Eugene. Don't be surprised to see her come back closer to Toledo, Ohio, though distance won't be a limiting factor here. VanSlooten averaged 15 points and 7.1 rebounds a game in 2023-24 for an Oregon roster that never could find its' footing inside of Pac 12 conference play.

TIMEA GARDINER, SO., F: FROM OREGON STATE

Unlike VanSlooten, Gardiner played deep into March for an Oregon State roster that made a run into the Sweet Sixteen. In the process, she played elite level minutes averaging 11.6 points and 7 rebounds per game. With Oregon State leaving to be a part of the WCC, it's safe to assume that Gardiner will be looking for a home in one of the major four conferences.

LIZA KARLEN, SR, F: FROM MARQUETTE

Karlen is an interesting prospect unlike any in the initial rankings as a potential COVID year frontcourt option. She was as efficient as anyone on the list in how she went about her business during the 2023-24 season posting averages of 17.7 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. Karlan added to that by doing it on 49.7 percent from the field, 35.7 from beyond the arc and 82.2 from the free throw line.

LIATU KING, SR., F: FROM PITTSBURG

King does what she does on the hardwood – rebound and finish. During the 2023-24 season, King averaged a double / double finishing with 18.7 points, 10.3 rebounds per game. More importantly, she did that on 52 percent from the field. King didn't make a single 3-point attempt capping her offensive value to an extent. King was fantastic from the field shooting at a 52.3 percent clip on the year.

RAEGAN BEERS, 6-4, F, Soph., OREGON STATE

Beers is the most recent and most significant Beaver to enter the transfer portal. Beers led Oregon State in scoring (17.5 PPG) and rebounding (10.6 RPG) and the country in field goal percentage (66.4%). She was the Pac-12's freshman and sixth player of the year in 2023 and was a third-team All-American this season. One of the best post players in the country, Beers recorded 16 double-doubles despite missing time late in the season with a broken nose.

JANIAH BARKER, 6-4, F, Soph., TEXAS A&M

The highest-rated recruit in Aggies history is leaving College Station. Barker was the No. 3 prospect in 2022, according to HoopGurlz, but has struggled to live up to those expectations and will seek a fresh start. In 49 games at Texas A&M (an injury limited Barker to 19 as a freshman), she averaged 12.5 points and 6.8 rebounds per game. Barker has the size and all-around skill set to be an impact player immediately at another major conference school. Finding the consistency she never found with the Aggies will be key.

AJAE PETTY, 6-3, F, Sr., KENTUCKY

Veteran departures from the Wildcats' roster came quickly after coach Kyra Elzy was fired. Petty, who made significant improvements from last year (5.7 PPG to 14.7 PPG) and was playing her best basketball at the end of the season, ranked third in the SEC in rebounding (10.6 RPG) and fourth in field goal percentage (50.7%). With more talent around her, Petty, who began her career at LSU, could be even better.
Thanks for the info. If we could just keep what we lost, we'd be in good shape!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: StClone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
We have a very talented team, but this off season is a real test for CBF and this staff. They need to land a couple of quality transfers. We need a starting 4 and a quality backup 5. It is not always easy to find size in the women’s game, but Bill has to make it happen. This is what the team needs to take the next step.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
We have a very talented team, but this off season is a real test for CBF and this staff. They need to land a couple of quality transfers. We need a starting 4 and a quality backup 5. It is not always easy to find size in the women’s game, but Bill has to make it happen. This is what the team needs to take the next step.

Bill keeps getting tested.

And to our amazement out of nowhere Bill and his staff pull a rabbit out of the hat. Every year we are humbled to graduate WNBA talent, get attached to talented players who look for greener pastures, and be told no by top recruits.

And yet, we were in play to win the conference and the post-season tourney with some parts left over, a player at the end of their career, and unheralded gems. If Fennelly can do it next season, he will again prove to be Cyclone Coach GOAT.

You got to admire this guy as he is so Clone to the bone it hurts. And, he wins it for us fans. I can't wait to see what's next as there seem few dull moments.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Bill keeps getting tested.

And to our amazement out of nowhere Bill and his staff pull a rabbit out of the hat. Every year we are humbled to graduate WNBA talent, get attached to talented players who look for greener pastures, and be told no by top recruits.

And yet, we were in play to win the conference and the post-season tourney with some parts left over, a player at the end of their career, and unheralded gems. If Fennelly can do it next season, he will again prove to be Cyclone Coach GOAT.

You got to admire this guy as he is so Clone to the bone it hurts. And, he wins it for us fans. I can't wait to see what's next as there seem few dull moments.
Most of Bill’s transfer success has been by identifying lower level players that can be successful on our team. Hannah, Seph, and even Isnelle have all shown they can play at this level. He needs to do that again or get quality DI transfers. This team has so much potential, but we need him to land quality replacements for Bristow/Dew and Isnelle/Izzy for this team to be really good. Bill’s recruiting is often much more quiet than TJ’s, let’s hope we hear something soon.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Most of Bill’s transfer success has been by identifying lower level players that can be successful on our team. Hannah, Seph, and even Isnelle have all shown they can play at this level. He needs to do that again or get quality DI transfers. This team has so much potential, but we need him to land quality replacements for Bristow/Dew and Isnelle/Izzy for this team to be really good. Bill’s recruiting is often much more quiet than TJ’s, let’s hope we hear something soon.
That seems to be the case in general this year for women's college basketball. There is a lot of chatter about people entering the portal, but very little about visits/offers/etc unless you are a well-known player in the portal.