WBB Bracketology 3/10

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well, you can't really argue we deserve much better at this point - this wasn't the way we wanted to end this season.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Ugh, I really hope we end up with a 7 somehow, because I doubt we end up as a 10, but who knows with some line shifting.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I think a 6-10 is still possible. If an 8, I want TN. ISU's defense will pose a lot of big problems for TN, except for maybe containing their PG, but she is another Riley that just shoots whenever she feels like it, including hard twos. Force TN into taking hard 2s, versus threes and layups, and that could spell problems for them. The SEC is way down this year, and they really haven't been "tested." KY really outplayed them in the SEC championship, but TN hit 16 of 19 3s.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Generally speaking, the WBB selection committee is pretty inconsistent on this kind of thing, so Creme's analysis typically isn't as accurate at Lunardi's on the Men's side. Anywhere between a 6-10 is still possible, and only the selection committee has any idea who we're going to play until they announce the final bracket.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
We have to remember, the WBB selection committee places the teams in sub regionals first, then seeds the teams.

Of the # 7 seeds Creme has, Rutgers and Houston have a higher RPI than us according to the NCAA RPI rankings. Houston has an SOS of 99 (CollegeRPI.com), and their best win was in December against Louisville. Temple has a SOS of 70 + 3 bad losses, and their best win was in November against Rutgers. I have a difficult time with Creme placing Houston, and Temple ahead of us in his projection, they both play in conferences that are weak other than one or two other teams. Heck, Conference USA has a lower RPI than the Missouri Valley.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Creme is East Coast biased of the Big 12. He was saying earlier in the year that only 4 Big 12 teams should be in. He just doesn't know this league beyond paper stats. No one understands how powerful the home court is in the Big 12. It is a factor in other conferences, for a few select teams, but in reality, the Big 12 leads attendance.

The biggest problem this year is the non-con was weird. A lot of traditional powers were down, and our leagues match-ups outside the conference not the best.

For what it's worth, our last place team beat the ACC 2nd place team, a number 2 seed in the tourney, and beat them badly.

Understanding probably the 5 seeds through 11 seeds is a tough tough battle. And there is always a team that they committee puts through that makes everyone go, what?.

As BF says, the number next to your seed doesn't matter in tourney time, just don't want to play a 1 in the second round. But I will take it if its TN.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
ISU will be fortunate to win its opener no matter where it's seeded or sent. A second round win? Very little chance of that. I'll watch and cheer them on, but it's not a team that going to make any noise in the dance.

This team has a nasty habit of playing down to competition, but has been pretty good at playing up to it too. We probably won't make the sweet sixteen, but I wouldn't put it past them.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Creme is East Coast biased of the Big 12. He was saying earlier in the year that only 4 Big 12 teams should be in. He just doesn't know this league beyond paper stats. No one understands how powerful the home court is in the Big 12. It is a factor in other conferences, for a few select teams, but in reality, the Big 12 leads attendance.

The biggest problem this year is the non-con was weird. A lot of traditional powers were down, and our leagues match-ups outside the conference not the best.

For what it's worth, our last place team beat the ACC 2nd place team, a number 2 seed in the tourney, and beat them badly.

Understanding probably the 5 seeds through 11 seeds is a tough tough battle. And there is always a team that they committee puts through that makes everyone go, what?.

As BF says, the number next to your seed doesn't matter in tourney time, just don't want to play a 1 in the second round. But I will take it if its TN.

Wrong. Just more hate for anything and everything that has an ESPN tag attached to it (wow, they work for ESPN - they MUST have an East-coast bias).

Historically Creme is historically extremely fair towards the Big 12 in general and ISU in particular. And just because he only had 4 Big 12 teams in his brackets earlier this year doesn't mean that at that time that wasn't all this conference deserved.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Wrong. Just more hate for anything and everything that has an ESPN tag attached to it (wow, they work for ESPN - they MUST have an East-coast bias).

Historically Creme is historically extremely fair towards the Big 12 in general and ISU in particular. And just because he only had 4 Big 12 teams in his brackets earlier this year doesn't mean that at that time that wasn't all this conference deserved.

I will choose to disagree. I have often found his comments about the Big 12 and ISU to be backhanded compliments.

the tournament will tell us a lot this year. The SEC, Big 12, and Pac 10 all have big question marks.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I think a 6-10 is still possible. If an 8, I want TN. ISU's defense will pose a lot of big problems for TN, except for maybe containing their PG, but she is another Riley that just shoots whenever she feels like it, including hard twos. Force TN into taking hard 2s, versus threes and layups, and that could spell problems for them. The SEC is way down this year, and they really haven't been "tested." KY really outplayed them in the SEC championship, but TN hit 16 of 19 3s.

Tennessee would be the last team I'd want ISU to play - they play pressure defense all 94 feet, challenge you physically, and are much more athletic and quick at every position. Our guards have a terrible time with pressure D. We'd also get killed on the boards, plus Tenn has shooters this year.
That Tennessee-Kentucky score was 90-65. It was a slaughter, and due to a lot more than Tenn hitting some 3's.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Tennessee would be the last team I'd want ISU to play - they play pressure defense all 94 feet, challenge you physically, and are much more athletic and quick at every position. Our guards have a terrible time with pressure D. We'd also get killed on the boards, plus Tenn has shooters this year.
That Tennessee-Kentucky score was 90-65. It was a slaughter, and due to a lot more than Tenn hitting some 3's.

Actually, that score is no where indicative of that game. KY outplayed TN in the first half. The only reason TN ran away with it was hello 85% 3 shooting and almost 50 points from the arc. I watched it. You know I am a TN fan. KY shots didn't fall, but they out muscled TN in the paint, out rebounded them, and out hustled them in the first 25-30 minutes of the game. NO ONE is going to beat a team hitting 16 3s in a game. That isn't skill, that is luck. Pat Summit was furious with her team at half time, and even said you are being outplayed in every aspect of the game, we're just lucky shots fell.

Their on-ball defense/pressure also opens them up for transition baskets. They are quick, but they also foul a lot, and turn the ball over a lot. This is not a typical TN team, and has basically lucked out with a terrible SEC to play in this year. They could compete for the National Championship, but their level of dominance in conference holds no water with me, especially compared to Baylor or UConn.

Reactions: jdoggivjc

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Actually, that score is no where indicative of that game. KY outplayed TN in the first half. The only reason TN ran away with it was hello 85% 3 shooting and almost 50 points from the arc. I watched it. You know I am a TN fan. KY shots didn't fall, but they out muscled TN in the paint, out rebounded them, and out hustled them in the first 25-30 minutes of the game. NO ONE is going to beat a team hitting 16 3s in a game. That isn't skill, that is luck.

I watched the game too, and kinda give the Tenn defense some credit for Kentucky shooting just 27% for the game. Their defense is tremendous.
As far as Tennessee's "lucky shooting," Kentucky made the decision to press full-court and thus leave Bjorkland and Stricklen wide open for 3's. Shooting when you're all alone is much easier than when you're being contested. Those two were left all alone. Even Kentucky's own players said "they could have rotated over more."
Yeah, the SEC is down, but don't group Tennessee with the rest. After all, they went undefeated. They can't do much more than that in the conference.
Again, I would hate to play the Vols, what with their defense and their tall, athletic players. It would be a nightmare.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I will choose to disagree. I have often found his comments about the Big 12 and ISU to be backhanded compliments.

the tournament will tell us a lot this year. The SEC, Big 12, and Pac 10 all have big question marks.

Hit the nail on the head. The Tennessee won the SEC by 5 games, Stanford won the Pac-10 easily, and after TAMU and Baylor, the B12 had a drop off, so there is a disparity in each of these conferences. I do think all three conferences are down from past years, and think it will show in the tourney.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Bracketology - Women's College Basketball Brackets and Predictions - ESPN

Downgraded to an 8 and put in UConn's subregional. Not that the other 1/8/9/16 subregionals are much better. Hope for a 7. Or a 10.

Things seemed so much more promising a few days ago.

Similar to what others posted, a first-round win is probably 50-50 whether it's 8/9 or 7/10, and advancing to the Sweet 16 doesn't look promising — but a possible 2-7 (vs. the right team) gives a shot at a stunner — but I figure any of the 1 seeds will win by at least 25.

This season has gone pretty much as I expected. It's just always fun to overachieve a little bit.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Do you think the Big 12 is down this year? Because that is what Creme said. I don't think it is down. I doubt the 81% of non-con opponents that Big 12 teams beat would say it is down either.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Not even sure we deserve an 8. This team overachieved as it does not have that much talent IMO. Another good coaching job by BF to get to 22 wins.

Hope we can win 1, but not expecting it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
who knows, now that UConn only has a 6 player rotation, they might be primed for an upset. Get their Frosh post in foul trouble, and it could be a repeat upset baby.

Though, as a Frosh, I have been extremely impressed with Dolson's game.

Geno comments about officiating.
2011 NCAA tournament: Auriemma concerned about tourney officiating - ESPN

Does their league not have a rule about commenting on officiating?

Translation: Many of the tourney officials do not know that we are allowed to get away with hacking, slapping, hooking, pushing and going over the back. That hurts us in our march to what is rightfully ours every year; the NCAA championship.