WBB Bracketology 3/10

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
Does their league not have a rule about commenting on officiating?

Translation: Many of the tourney officials do not know that we are allowed to get away with hacking, slapping, hooking, pushing and going over the back. That hurts us in our march to what is rightfully ours every year; the NCAA championship.

I would say that is an exaggeration, except I was at the UConn game last year and watched them play in our face all game long, even after they had a more than comfortable lead on us.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Houston who Creme has a 7 seed was upset today in the C-USA semifinals. This is a one league bid at best. This could have an impact on seeding, because I can't see Houston as a seven seed after losing to Tulane who has a average RPI, and a weak SOS. Houston has a solid RPI, but their SOS is poor, so could cost them a bid.

2nd upset of the day -BYU loses in the MWC tourney, they were the only bid from the league, but the teams remaining are most likely going to be as high as they were. TCU appears to be the favorite over Utah in the finals. A TCU win helps us since we beat them.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Now we've been moved as the 8-seed and playing the first round, guess where??? Stanford.

sigh

It'll be interesting to see how close Creme is to the eventual bracket put out by the committee. For example, he has Michigan and Dayton in - really?

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Some interesting notes after today:

Utah wins the MWC, which was only a one league bid, however Salt Lake City is a host city meaning a higher seed 2/3/4/5 will have to play in SLC against the lower seed. This could change seeding because the women's committee can move teams up and down on when placing them. This will be the same as 2008 when we hosted at Wells Fargo and played Ga Tech, and Rutgers. We were the seven seed, but it was widely known we should have been the 10 seed, but got bumped since we were hosting

Second, Fresno State won the WAC, upsetting La Tech, meaning someone just got bumped from the at large pool, and since they will probably be a 10-13 seed, there will be movement, and La Tech will probably make it as an at-large. The leagues left to play their finals are all one bid leagues. The only one that could pull off two is the MVC is Mo. State beats UNI. UNI would have an outside chance to make the field, however their SOS is not that strong.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Northern Iowa used a 17-0 run in the first half to take control and beat Missouri State 69-41. UNI has won 19 straight. That's a good win on our resume. Prairie View A&M won its tournament SWAC and is in with a 21-11 record. That was a tough game. Chicago State won the Great West tournament, but, unless I missed it, they don't seem to get a bid; maybe because the committee couldn't find them. That little conference has schools from New Jersey to Utah and includes Chicago, the Dakotas and Texas. Our rpi of 33 fairly puts us at the 8/9 area. With a week to get ready, we should make it past the first round.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Northern Iowa used a 17-0 run in the first half to take control and beat Missouri State 69-41. UNI has won 19 straight. That's a good win on our resume. Prairie View A&M won its tournament SWAC and is in with a 21-11 record. That was a tough game. Chicago State won the Great West tournament, but, unless I missed it, they don't seem to get a bid; maybe because the committee couldn't find them. That little conference has schools from New Jersey to Utah and includes Chicago, the Dakotas and Texas. Our rpi of 33 fairly puts us at the 8/9 area. With a week to get ready, we should make it past the first round.

Here's info on why the Great West Conference doesn't have an auto bid:

The NCAA requires the following of any league before it will grant an automatic bid to its champion:
  • At least seven schools that are fully-fledged members of Division I
  • At least seven "core" members that have been in Division I for at least eight years
  • At least six "core" members that have been in the league for five years
The current Great West membership will not meet those qualifications until 2020. At that time, it is expected that another opening-round game will be added to the NCAA Tournament, rather than having an at-large bid taken away from the field of 68.

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

I continue to struggle with Creme's bracket. I have no idea why Georgia and Temple continue to be seeded higher than us in his projection. Quite honestly, UNI could end up higher than us RPI wise, so that would look even better. PVAMU made it, but they are outside the top 100 RPI. A few things hurting us - TCU, Virginia, and Michigan. All three had been in the top 50, now all three are out.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Here's info on why the Great West Conference doesn't have an auto bid:

The NCAA requires the following of any league before it will grant an automatic bid to its champion:
  • At least seven "core" members that have been in Division I for at least eight years
The current Great West membership will not meet those qualifications until 2020. At that time, it is expected that another opening-round game will be added to the NCAA Tournament, rather than having an at-large bid taken away from the field of 68.

Are the qualifications for automatic bids the same for men and women? Your info. above must refer to men, as the Div. I women's field is still at 64 teams.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Are the qualifications for automatic bids the same for men and women? Your info. above must refer to men, as the Div. I women's field is still at 64 teams.

I would say they are the same for the men and women since both have 31 automatic bids. Not going to matter since the Great West Conference is falling apart with North and South Dakota both leaving. The conference will only have five teams.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
I find nothing at Cyclones.com about Selection Monday. I had hoped for video coverage of a "watch party" at the training facility. Maybe the players didn't enjoy that so much last year.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
We have to remember, the WBB selection committee places the teams in sub regionals first, then seeds the teams.

Well, maybe so, but I find it difficult to believe that seeding makes no difference in the original placing regardless of what is said.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
We have to remember, the WBB selection committee places the teams in sub regionals first, then seeds the teams.

Well, maybe so, but I find it difficult to believe that seeding makes no difference in the original placing regardless of what is said.

In 2008, we were a #7 seed, we finished 7-9 in the B12. There was no way we were a #7 seed that year. We should have been the #10 seed, but we hosted and got bumped up to a 7.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
In 2008, we were a #7 seed, we finished 7-9 in the B12. There was no way we were a #7 seed that year. We should have been the #10 seed, but we hosted and got bumped up to a 7.

What do you base that on? Your opinion, or did someone actually say we were bumped from a 10 to a 7?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but here's the official explanation of what happens:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...ERES&CACHEID=53314180443af5b2afe2af6bcdc87ae7

After the 64 teams are selected but not yet seeded:

The committee will create an s-curve (i.e., rank of the teams 1 through 64) which is used as a reference to assess competitive balance across the four regions. Once the s-curve is finalized, it remains unchanged while placing the teams into the championship bracket.

<snip>

The committee will attempt to assign each team to the most geographically compatible regional and first-/second-round site, by order of the s-curve. When multiple teams are a similar distance from a site, the team seeded higher in the s-curve will be assigned to the closest geographical proximity site.

<snip>

A team may be moved one bracket line from its true seed line (e.g., from a No. 13 seed to a No. 12 seed) when it is placed in the bracket, if necessary to meet the principles.

<snip>

Procedures for Placing Teams into the Championship Bracket
• Place the teams seeded 1-4 in each of the four regions pairing the No. 1 seed’s region against the No. 4 seed’s region and the No. 2 seed’s region against the No. 3 seed’s region. Place the Nos. 2, 3, 4 seeds in each region.
• After teams have been placed in Line Nos. 1-4, the committee may place teams in the following lines in any order: Line Nos. 5, 6, 7 and 8; Line Nos. 9, 10, 11 and 12, and Line Nos. 13, 14, 15 and 16.
• After each group of four teams is determined, check for conflicts with the principles for placing the teams into the bracket and determine the relative strengths of the regions by adding the “true” seed number in each region (e.g., original s-curve order). Generally, no more than five points should separate the lowest and highest total in Line Nos. 1-4.
• In bracket line Nos. 5 through 12, the committee will assign all four teams a bracket line number (i.e., five through twelve) rather than using the seed number. All teams on a given line will have the same numerical value.
• After all teams have been placed in the bracket and the bracket assignments have been checked to ensure that the principles have been met, the committee will formally adopt the bracket.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Charlie Creme is not too impressed with the committee's work this year, espeially with pairing Baylor/A&M and also Stanford/UCLA is the same regionals. The committee reacted to the criticism of the UConn-Rutgers regional in 2008, but we now are back to the same thing...

Women's NCAA tournament: Breaking down the bracket - ESPN

"Perhaps hearing the complaints from the coaches and the media, the committee did not repeat the decision in either of the past two brackets. In 2009, Oklahoma was a No. 1 seed in Oklahoma City and Baylor and Texas A&M were both No. 2 seeds. If the committee had been consistent from the previous year, one of those two schools would have also gone to Oklahoma City along with Oklahoma, but neither did.
"Last year, if the geography excuse had been used, then Notre Dame would have been the No. 2 with the Huskies in Dayton, Ohio, and Texas A&M would have been placed with Nebraska in Kansas City. But those scenarios were also avoided. Good move. Better tournament."

But, this year … it happened again."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron