WBB: Cyclones and Iowans Playing Pro Ball

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
With Stephanie Soares signing her first pro contract I thought I'd open a general thread for our pro players sort of like what we have for the NBA in MBB forum. Leaving it open to include others with state of Iowa connections, either via Iowa schools of originally Iowa HS players. We will also be able to post Olympic teams stuff here for Carleton, and probably Soares to.
  • Stephanie Soares is currently in Brazil with their national team for the Olympic qualifying rounds this being hosted their.
  • Bridget Carleton just signed a two year contract with the Minnesota Lynx. She's played this winter in Spain and is now with Team Canada.
  • Ashley Joens is playing in Italy this winter and suspect she'll maybe get a training camp invite from someone in April.
  • Iowa related: Hawk's Megan Gustafson and Iowa native Kiah Stokes both signed WNBA contracts with the Las Vegas Aces this past week. . Gustafson was playing in England this winter.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Tracy Gahan is retired and raising her three kids. Her spouse former AFLW/WBB star Erin Phillips is coaching a local Australian rules football team in Adelaide. Phillips is considered one of Australia's greatest athletes.

That is a lead into this list of former Iowa State WBB players in the pros (2020 article):

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Had it in my head that Megan was playing for some country in the pre-Olympics and this popped into my Twitter feed. Gustafson apparently gained Spanish naturalized this past year. She had a good season in the Euro League and was MVP of their tournament, guess that maybe helped with her Aces offer although she was solid last year in the WNBA.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Brazil's schedule:
Thu, Feb. 8 - 5 p.m. CT vs Australia
Sat, Feb. 10 - 5 p.m. CT vs Serbia
Sun, Feb. 11 - 5 p.m. CT vs Germany

Canada's schedule:
Thu, Feb. 8 - Noon CT vs Hungary
Fri, Feb. 9 - 8:30 a.m. CT vs Spain
Sun, Feb. 11 - 8 a.m. CT vs Japan

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Had it in my head that Megan was playing for some country in the pre-Olympics and this popped into my Twitter feed. Gustafson apparently gained Spanish nationalization this past year. She had a good season in the Euro League and was MVP of their tournament, guess that maybe helped with her Aces offer although she was solid last year in the WNBA.
Those devious Spaniards, turning poor Megan G from a private citizen into a state controlled industry! I believe you intended to say naturalization…

First the World Cup debacle and now Gustafson - do better Spain!

PS - My daughter is a HS Spanish teacher and I love Spain - favorite city is Valencia!

• Funny
Reactions: StClone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Canada up 41-30 at halftime.

Carleton with 10 pts, 2 reb, 2 ast, 2 stl.
Yvonne Ejim (Melvin's sister) has played 3 minutes, but no stats.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Had it in my head that Megan was playing for some country in the pre-Olympics and this popped into my Twitter feed. Gustafson apparently gained Spanish naturalized this past year. She had a good season in the Euro League and was MVP of their tournament, guess that maybe helped with her Aces offer although she was solid last year in the WNBA.

From courtside in Spain GANSA! GANSA! GANSA!!!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
FINAL: Canada 67, Hungary 55

Carleton: 18 pts (5-15 FG, 2-8 3pt, 6-6 FT); 6 reb, 3 ast, 3 stl
Ejim: 0 pts (0-1 FG)

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
USA is struggling against the home team Belgium in a different qualifying tournament. 30-19 Belgium partway through Q2.

To keep this somewhat relevant to the thread, Belgium is led by notable near-Cyclone Julie Vanloo with 9 points.

A brief primer on the whole Julie Vanloo saga:

The full timeline:

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
USA is struggling against the home team Belgium in a different qualifying tournament. 30-19 Belgium partway through Q2.

To keep this somewhat relevant to the thread, Belgium is led by notable near-Cyclone Julie Vanloo with 9 points.

A brief primer on the whole Julie Vanloo saga:
USA won 81-79.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Brazil dropped its opener to Australia, 60-55.

Soares finished with 3 pts (a three-pointer), 5 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl and 1 blk.

Help Support Us

Become a patron