WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I wonder how much hometown bias sometimes seeps into it. Probably not a lot, but they see her play more than they'd see Cardoso (who I also believe is much better). Brink is a walking foul from the very limited times I've seen her (twice, admittedly). Honestly could probably make a case that Reese could be better than her, but it'd be on shakier ground.
Well Angel Reese is from Baltimore, Washington here would be the hometown pick.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
6'6 Elizabeth Kitley from VaTech just got drafted by the Aces. Her parents were sitting at the table and she asked them for a hug. Her dad towered over her! He looked to be a 7 footer, so I'm assuming he played ball somewhere back in his day...

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Is Soares going to be drafted?

Soares and Ashley were big news for Iowa State both drafted in 2023. Steph's injury kept her at Iowa State getting healed and aiding the coaching staff. Now she should be in the mix for the Wings.

Stephanie Soares (born 17 April 2000) is a Brazilian professional basketball player for the Dallas Wings of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA). She played college basketball at The Master's University and Iowa State. She represented Brazil at the 2019 Pan American Games and won a gold medal.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I saw someone posting photos of her at the draft not realizing it was last year. Confused me.

Is there a thought about her current health or tryout situation?

She is signed for this year prior tot he draft. Drafted but injured so no pay for last year and no contract, they just had her rights.

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
Soares also got on the Brazilian national team (iirc), so I would assume her health isn't an issue. Can't wait to see her play again! Still feel awful we were robbed of seeing her play more in the cardinal and gold. She's going to be great for sure. Lucky that we got her on staff for a year - and maybe in the future sometime? ;)

Reactions: NWICY and fcclone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Questions about expenses while exploring new schools while a player is "portaling." Does the player pay all of the travel costs and depending on the situation does the school pick up expenses while on campus? I could see players being limited to selecting schools if the price is on them or the family if looking at multiple schools.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Questions about expenses while exploring new schools while a player is "portaling." Does the player pay all of the travel costs and depending on the situation does the school pick up expenses while on campus? I could see players being limited to selecting schools if the price is on them or the family if looking at multiple schools.

I believe the recruiting school pays the cost of travel for the visit just like they do for official visits in high school. I am sure there is a limit to the number of visits that they can take but not sure what that number is.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Soares and Ashley were big news for Iowa State both drafted in 2023. Steph's injury kept her at Iowa State getting healed and aiding the coaching staff. Now she should be in the mix for the Wings.

Stephanie Soares (born 17 April 2000) is a Brazilian professional basketball player for the Dallas Wings of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA). She played college basketball at The Master's University and Iowa State. She represented Brazil at the 2019 Pan American Games and won a gold medal.
Drafted in 2023 and signed in 2024: https://wings.wnba.com/news/dallas-wings-sign-stephanie-soares/

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I believe the recruiting school pays the cost of travel for the visit just like they do for official visits in high school. I am sure there is a limit to the number of visits that they can take but not sure what that number is.

Rules since 2023 place no limits on official visits (those paid for by the school). Only limit on official visits is one per school. No portal transfers are going to waste visits on schools they aren't serious about, there's no time for that as they would like to be committed by end of May at the latest IMHO.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Apparently as of July 1, 2023, the official visit limit (which used to be 5) has been removed. You are still limited to one per school, though, unless the head coach changes. (EDIT: @BoxsterCy beat me to it)

I'm not sure if transfers can take official visits, and a quick internet search was no help.