WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Oh Please, please, please
I expect Stanford and Cal athletics to take huge defections. Their sports travel is ludicrous now that they are ACC. Really a killer for “ minor” sports that play lots of games. This whole restructuring Of conferences is vey bad for sports, many participants and ultimately not good for ISU - imho.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wondering how the portal signings will impact recruiting class rank. ESPN ranks the HS recruits, not sure if ESPN does a HS + portal ranking for the season or not. After the November signings only Baylor was in the Top 25 for the Big 12. Big Ten was raking with 9 schools in the Top 25. On paper the Big 12 is not keeping up, at least for the 2024 class.

ESPN probably needs to reshuffle their list to move UConn and Ohio State up after they got the late signings from #1 Sarah Strong and #3 .Jaloni Cambridge.

List from just after signings:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Ran across this in another forum this morning. Also saw the Maryland trip was postponed do to scheduling conflict. Would be a big get for Iowa to bridge to 2025.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Ran across this in another forum this morning. Also saw the Maryland trip was postponed do to scheduling conflict. Would be a big get for Iowa to bridge to 2025.

Her offer list has exploded. I highly doubt Iowa lands her unless NIL $$$ isn't a top priority, which would be a surprise.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Her offer list has exploded. I highly doubt Iowa lands her unless NIL $$$ isn't a top priority, which would be a surprise.

They are at least getting a campus visit which means she is considering them. This isn't HS where kids go on trips around the country with no idea of where they will land, sometimes visit just for the hell of it. This is like years of HS recruiting compressed into a few weeks.

NIL gets overstated a lot for WBB, IMHO. However, since she is a top ten target among the transfers it's fair to assume NIL will play some role.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
They are at least getting a campus visit which means she is considering them. This isn't HS where kids go on trips around the country with no idea of where they will land, sometimes visit just for the hell of it. This is like years of HS recruiting compressed into a few weeks.

NIL gets overstated a lot for WBB, IMHO. However, since she is a top ten target among the transfers it's fair to assume NIL will play some role.
The challenge is NIL is often regional. Look at the Clark/Crooks NIL deals. Clark had a couple national names but both had many more regional and that is because of name recognition locally. Coming to Iowa would be way out of her realm and NIL would likely suffer as a result. Not completely, but WBB is a different beast for NIL.

• Agree
Reactions: ZorkClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Well, if she's a giant flop in the WNBA...

She is in LA already...although living in the valley myself I rarely see any signs of "the industry". My neighbor tells me it's much more hidden now than in the 90s.

If she's really the #2 prospect for her playing abilities it's hard for me to respect the league. I mean the center for South Carolina is way bigger, stronger, similar length, far better hands...seems like kind of a joke for Brink to be #3. Unless she's some kind of 3 point assassin in her other games, I really wasn't seeing it vs ISU.

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
She is in LA already...although living in the valley myself I rarely see any signs of "the industry". My neighbor tells me it's much more hidden now than in the 90s.

If she's really the #2 prospect for her playing abilities it's hard for me to respect the league. I mean the center for South Carolina is way bigger, stronger, similar length, far better hands...seems like kind of a joke for Brink to be #3. Unless she's some kind of 3 point assassin in her other games, I really wasn't seeing it vs ISU.
I wonder how much hometown bias sometimes seeps into it. Probably not a lot, but they see her play more than they'd see Cardoso (who I also believe is much better). Brink is a walking foul from the very limited times I've seen her (twice, admittedly). Honestly could probably make a case that Reese could be better than her, but it'd be on shakier ground.