WBB: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Battle of the Best - All Iowa Attack's premier tournament - has been going on yesterday and today, wrapping up tomorrow. They've taken over Hy-Vee Hall, Wells Fargo Arena, plus other courts. Also in Ames. Some great basketball.
It's a who's who of college coaches in town. Someone said there was a Geno sighting today - and he's staying thru tomorrow.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Nyiamer Diew to Play in the FIBA Afrobasket 2021 Qualifying Tournament as A Member of South Sudan Women's Basketball National Team

As one of the world's newest independent countries, South Sudan has recently assembled its first-ever women's basketball national team. It's a great honor that Iowa State's Nyiamer Diew has been selected as a member of the team. She's very proud of representing the country where her family is originally from.

The South Sudan women's national team is being coached by Lindsey Harding, the former Duke star and long-time WNBA player who is currently serving as a player development coach for the Sacramento Kings. The team held a training camp from June 26 to July 6 at the Sacramento Kings facilities, thanks to Harding's connection. The team features a star in Adut Bulgak, a former FSU grad and a WNBA player. Unfortunately, she tore her Achilles in the training camp a few days ago and couldn't make the trip with her team.

Now the team full of promising US college players is off to participate in their first-ever FIBA Afrobasket Qualifying Tournament which will be held from July 12 to 17 in Rwanda. Team South Sudan is in Zone 5 tournament with four other teams including the host Rwanda, Egypt and Kenya. The winner of this tournament will qualify for the FIBA Women's AfroBasket 2021 set for September 17-26 in Cameroon. Shortly after the arrival in Kigali, the capital city of Rwanda, the team celebrated South Sudan's 10th Independence Day on July 9.

CyclONEnation congratulates Nyiamer Diew for this historic achievement and wishes you the best of luck in the tournament.

E5_aWpXVcAApffF

E54iUNbVoAAOjb4

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Monday, July 12 update on Nyamer Diew

The South Sudan Women's Basketball National Team played their first-ever international match early today in the Afrobasket 2021 Zone 5 Qualifying Tournament. Although they lost to a veteran-lead Egypt team 65-95, just to suit up and represent their country on the international stage is a huge milestone for this program. Hopefully, this young team can learn from it and bounce back in the next game.

ISU's Nyamer Diew had a big performance in the match. She started the game and scored the very first basket with a driving layup for her team, the first-ever 2 points in the South Sudan women's basketball history. She finished with 16 PT as the team's leading scorer of the game. Her stats are: 27 MIN, 16 PT (5-8, 3-6 3PT, 3-4 FT), 5 REB, 5 AST, 2 BLK, 6 TO.

Video of the full game.

Photos that have Nyamer Diew in it. She is wearing #11 (left second in the back row).

E6GqAdgXEAkhr-2

E6HGapOX0AMiawT

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The ladies are having a lot of fun in the pre-season photo-shoot. We got to see Izzi posing as a chef, MEM's lovely cat Mookie, Ashley on a skateboard, Lexi imitating the Jordan logo, etc. Looking forward to the update of the new team roster on Cyclones.com.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Wednesday, July 14 update on Nyamer Diew

Folks, I have bad news to report.

ISU's Nyamer Diew was injured in the second match of FIBA Afrobasket 2021 Zone 5 Qualifying Tournament (South Sudan vs Kenya) on Tuesday, July 13. She was fouled when she drove to the basket with less than 90 seconds left in the 4th quarter and fell down. She then took her free throws and was taken to the locker room afterwards. She scored 10 PT on Tuesday's match. In today's final group match vs the host Rwanda, Nyamer didn't play and was seen on crutches with her right leg/knee area wrapped with bandages. Due to limited intel, the severity of her injury is unknown.

Team South Sudan is 0-3 in the group stage and will be facing the group winner Egypt in the semi-final (elimination round) on Friday, July 16. The team is young with raw talents and potentials and they are improving game by game, but probably will need more time to gel and practice with more discipline. By my observation, Nyamer is clearly one of the best players on this South Sudan team and she will make a contribution to our ISU team in the upcoming season when healthy. We wish Nyamer good luck and a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Our 2021-2022 WBB Team Roster has finally received an update on Cyclones.com. It's still a work in progress as they need to add profile photos and bios, but at least our newcomers' jersey numbers have been revealed.

Jersey NumberNewcomer's NameClassPositionYears of Eligibility LeftPrevious Player Who Wears the Same Number
1​
Nyamer Diew​
Sophomore​
Forward​
4​
Madison Wise​
3​
Denae Fritz​
Freshman​
Guard​
4​
Emily Durr​
25​
Beatriz Jordão​
Senior​
Center​
2​
Kristin Scott​
32​
Maggie Vick​
Freshman​
Forward​
4​
Meredith Burkhall​

Coach Fen is really liking this team.

Last edited:

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Our 2021-2022 WBB Team Roster has finally received an update on Cyclones.com. It's still a work in progress as they need to add profile photos and bios, but at least our newcomers' jersey numbers have been revealed.

Jersey NumberNewcomer's NameClassPositionYears of Eligibility LeftPrevious Player Who Wears the Same Number
1​
Nyamer Diew​
Sophomore​
Forward​
4​
Madison Wise​
3​
Denae Fritz​
Freshman​
Guard​
4​
Emily Durr​
25​
Beatriz Jordão​
Senior​
Center​
2​
Kristin Scott​
32​
Maggie Vick​
Freshman​
Forward​
4​
Meredith Burkhall​

Coach Fen is really liking this team.

Is that State Gym?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
In today's final group match vs the host Rwanda, Nyamer didn't play and was seen on crutches with her right leg/knee area wrapped with bandages. Due to limited intel, the severity of her injury is unknown.​
Per her Instagram, she tore the medial and lateral meniscus in her right knee. It looks like the recovery time could be anywhere from four weeks to six months depending on the level of surgery required (with the shorter times more likely) . I think there's a good chance she'll be back in time for full practices in October, but I'm sure we'll hear more soon.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Per her Instagram, she tore the medial and lateral meniscus in her right knee. It looks like the recovery time could be anywhere from four weeks to six months depending on the level of surgery required (with the shorter times more likely) . I think there's a good chance she'll be back in time for full practices in October, but I'm sure we'll hear more soon.
Thanks to mred for sharing the intel. This is so unfortunate. Based on this article, this is not the first time Nyamer Diew has injured her knee(s). She has already torn her ACL twice previously, not sure if it's the same knee. I hope our medical and strength & conditioning staff can help her recover soon, and she might need to consider putting on more protection on her knees to prevent future injuries.

In the following video, I have fast-forwarded to the point when her injury happened. Based on the play, I have no idea how the injury is so severe that it requires surgery. I'm hoping she can be fully healthy when the Big12 regular season begins.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Is that State Gym?

Pretty sure it is the Attack gym out by the BB practice facility. It's windows were made to look like State Gym. 1st time I've ever seen a picture of the inside. No seating in State plus I think the track is still in state it was a few yrs ago when I poked my head in it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Pretty sure it is the Attack gym out by the BB practice facility. It's windows were made to look like State Gym. 1st time I've ever seen a picture of the inside. No seating in State plus I think the track is still in state it was a few yrs ago when I poked my head in it.

I'd probably pay a fee to be able to go shoot baskets at State Gym just for old times sake.

Reactions: Royalclone

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Can confirm with Rulzzz that the skills camp is being held at the AIA Field House. The screenshot is taken from the camp's official website.

ISU WBB Skills Camp.jpg

The assistant for WBB basketball operation Haley Faber took a short video of the first day of the camp.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Friday, July 16 update on both camps.

WBB is using one of Coach Campbell's favorite catchphrases (Building the Foundation).

Looks like MEM has dyed her hair.

Can Aubrey guard Coach Fen? ;)

This is a great quote!

Reactions from the parents.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron