WBB: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Wow, the way she was dancing around later I was thinking no way she had a broken nose and was thinking just a bloody nose. I'll give myself a pass on my prognostication as my only experience was with a fastball to the face with a pretty bad outcome.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This might have been posted before and I missed it. ISU and Iowa both playing in a loaded Thanksgiving tournament next year. ISU, Iowa, UNC and UConn should all be ranked Top 15 or so. The other four have had their moments, just not this last year.

Last edited:

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
This might have been posted before and I missed it. ISU and Iowa both playing in a loaded Thanksgiving tournament next year. ISU, Iowa, UNC and UConn should all be ranked Top 15 or so. The other four have had their moments, just not this last year.

Got the easier bracket there not playing in the one with UConn. I am always one who wants to challenge ourselves, so wouldn't have minded being with UConn instead. Overall good stuff though.

Reactions: Cyfan1965

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
This might have been posted before and I missed it.
It was, but it's buried several pages earlier in this thread so it's easy to miss.

Technically this is 2022-23 season news, but ISU will be in the Phil Knight Invitational next November. https://cyclones.com/news/2022/2/15...y-in-phil-knight-invitational-in-2022-23.aspx

The ISU MBB team is also doing it, so a lot of ISU fans might be going to Portland to catch both teams over Thanksgiving.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Got the easier bracket there not playing in the one with UConn. I am always one who wants to challenge ourselves, so wouldn't have minded being with UConn instead. Overall good stuff though.

Do not disagree - but watched UNC play USC and they are a VERY good team. The Kelly girl can really score and have some big bodies. Oregon it appears is losing half their team to the portal and Mich St has dropped off a little.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Do not disagree - but watched UNC play USC and they are a VERY good team. The Kelly girl can really score and have some big bodies. Oregon it appears is losing half their team to the portal and Mich St has dropped off a little.
While we have the easier bracket, I'll take playing schools from Power 5 leagues versus playing lower-level mid-majors. Oregon has 4 top 100 recruits coming in, including a 6-7 post player.

Reactions: mwwbbfan

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Got to be something wrong with this list. Three teams from the big 10 made it none are iowa who has the best player in the country, just ask them.

PS also Baylor did not make it and we all know they are the best in the Big 12.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: acoustimac

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017

Pretty impressive considering the game was not a good game right out the gate. It was never in question who the better team was just in the first 3-5 minutes alone. UConn did reel it back in a bit later on but there was no way they were winning that game unless they just started hitting an insane amount of 3’s.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I love how ESPN is tossing out numbers without any context.

The championship viewership total is for all 3 channels that offered coverage (including the Bird/Taurasi gamewatch).

This was also only the second tournament where each game had its own dedicated window/channel, instead of whiparound-style coverage on just ESPN and ESPN2.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

The takeaway from this game was it was TEAM effort that won.

Superstars were held to less than stellar outputs (except for Boston's 16 rebounds). Boston had more assists than Bueckers 3-2.

Paige had some, not many, highlights, with one fantastic series of dribble, drive, pull back, quick pivot, and fast release for a 2-pointer.

Point Guard, 5'11" Paige Bueckers, G, UConn: 14 PTS, 6 REB, 2 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK

Boston stats were anemic for the foremost player in WBB, but her mere presence was massive, in my opinion.

Others in the win for South Carolina made the difference primarily: Destanni Henderson, G, SC: 26 PTS, 2, REB, 4 AST, 3 STL

Destanni is a quick, sure-shot 5'7" Guard, and was lethal to UCONN.

Team effort is what took Iowa State out of the tourney by Creighton, too.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Pretty impressive considering the game was not a good game right out the gate. It was never in question who the better team was just in the first 3-5 minutes alone. UConn did reel it back in a bit later on but there was no way they were winning that game unless they just started hitting an insane amount of 3’s.

UConn is still a huge name in WBB, plus the hype of Geno never dropping a championship game was a good tag line.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone