WBB: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Still in Top 10. Also Baylor and Texas. And Iowa. And all of our loses are to teams in the newest Top 10.

275436027_5055238271163398_5820574681459513843_n.jpg

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Still in Top 10. Also Baylor and Texas. And Iowa. And all of our loses are to teams in the newest Top 10.

275436027_5055238271163398_5820574681459513843_n.jpg
We lose to the #5 team in the country last week and drop two spots, meanwhile South Carolina loses to unranked Kentucky and stays at number one. Stanford stays at #2, despite winning the Pac-12 tourney.

Iowa beat one ranked team in the Big10 tourney and moves up 4 spots.

Interesting moves by the AP voters.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
We lose to the #5 team in the country last week and drop two spots, meanwhile South Carolina loses to unranked Kentucky and stays at number one. Stanford stays at #2, despite winning the Pac-12 tourney.

Beating big 10 teams not very difficult the league is largely crap.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Iowa and the big 10 have marketed Clark quite effectively. It matters. Plus, they are on quite a roll. BTW - I dislike them as much as anybody.

The thing about Clark is the SportsCenter culture we live in. They will show some deep threes that she makes but ignore that she is not shooting a good percentage. They will highlight 8 assists but ignore the 8 TO. Ash gets this at times but to a MUCH MUCH lesser degree. I still say the comp for her is Tre Young, but is TBD if if she can refine her game like he did.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The thing about Clark is the SportsCenter culture we live in. They will show some deep threes that she makes but ignore that she is not shooting a good percentage. They will highlight 8 assists but ignore the 8 TO. Ash gets this at times but to a MUCH MUCH lesser degree. I still say the comp for her is Tre Young, but is TBD if if she can refine her game like he did.
She was airballing it yesterday.

Reactions: ISU71

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

We got routed badly, and at home, playing for the title and only dropped two spots. Think that is more than fair to us. Still in the Top 10 and placed about where we should be.

Don't really care too much about the other rankings. other than a casual look see. Was more interested in the last 16 reveal by the NCAA.

Will add that Pac 12 is not in the same league as SEC for WBB except at the top place team level so those tournaments were not equal in value. Only one other ranked team in the Pac, Because of the love ISU fans have for the Big 8/12 tournament we (collective we) seem to way overvalue it's impact for seeding in March. I get it, just never shared that view**. Was surprised to see Iowa in the Top 10. They've been rising steadily the last week. While I thought they solidified the NCAA nod to host they are more Top 16 not Top 10 IMHO. However, it's doesn't grind my gears as it's no skin off of the Cyclones as we remain a #2 or #3 seed and they did win their title.

** I did note in the general WBB thread that exceptions to that include Kentucky and Indiana who both continued a little bit of a prove it campaign to end their season. Kentucky reeling off 9 straight after a 2-6 SEC start (ranked before they tanked) and Indiana proving they do reserve to host after getting disrupted by Covid and falling off the higher Big 10 finish projected for them. Both of those teams were in a bit of a unique situation, otherwise tournaments should not move the needle much.

Last edited:

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
Iowa and the big 10 have marketed Clark quite effectively. It matters. Plus, they are on quite a roll. BTW - I dislike them as much as anybody.

Maybe its just me. But, I detected a change in the way Iowa played the last 10-12 games versus how they played before. Less Clark and more of everyone else. Hence, they started getting more scoring out of all their players, especially Czinzano.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Maybe its just me. But, I detected a change in the way Iowa played the last 10-12 games versus how they played before. Less Clark and more of everyone else. Hence, they started getting more scoring out of all their players, especially Czinzano.

I don't see any less Clark and more of anyone. The one thing I noticed is the whole team wasn't shooting the three very well about a third of the way through the season. The 2nd half of the season they seem to have been making more. Clark shot 41% last year and was at like 25% or less maybe half way into this season. People were making a point of it here with "See, she sucks!" The last dozen games she shot her normal 40%. The other gals starting hitting also. So, maybe not "less" Clark but a better shooting Clark although the other players not named Czinano seem to be playing better to. Maybe the series of games they had to play short handed due to injuries toughened them up some? I watched the Big 10 title game and Czinano had a ton-o-points and Clark had very few assists so the maybe the ball movement is better to? I caught enough of their games when on national TV to have an opinion but certainly haven't watched anything like half their games or anything.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Pretty sure ISU fans outnumber the other two teams’ fans at the first game tonight. Both bands play music similar to our pep band so I feel at home ;) Not sure which team with blue and red to cheer for though.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Pretty sure ISU fans outnumber the other two teams’ fans at the first game tonight. Both bands play music similar to our pep band so I feel at home ;) Not sure which team with blue and red to cheer for though.

Right behind Dayton bench. Emily was easy to spot as she's still rocking the hairstyle she had as a player. :)

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Is that including our players and coaches(and their families)?