WBB: Kennedy-Hopoate transferring out

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I guess I missed when it was announced that Bill had his contract extended another 3 years. He is on the same expiration as Prohm in spring 2022.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I have kind of stopped commenting about it for the last few years because the the guy has a lifetime contract, and it seems like a moot point.

Many times the consensus is that BF's behavior style "runs off the weak ones". I won't disagree with that. But I also wonder if after players experience the basketball strategy/system for awhile, they come to the conclusion that it just won't work in today's WBB atmosphere. When is the last time ISU has had a post with the size and physicality to truly compete with what the majority of the Big 12 has? Maybe kids just get tired of getting thrown out there and getting beat up by bigger, stronger players.

I know, Angie Welle seems like so long ago. Poppins was tough as they come but undersized compared with Texas and Baylor girls.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I had gotten more positive toward Bill this year, but I still can't see how this move could possibly be good for either Iowa State Basketball or Kennedy-Hopoate. She was the most aggressive offensive post player we had this year, and the most able to create a shot. I can't see how transferring does her any good. It is just plain frustrating.

I talked about getting rid of Fennelly 3-4 years ago, for similar reasons. I like his recruiting but do not care for the rest of what I see. After this year I was ready to keep him just on the strength of his recruiting. I also thought he made some effort to improve the play on the court, and was allowing more people to play. So this has left me confused again.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Pollard needs to do some soul searching and make a change while there is still some fans in the stands. I feel horrible for the team.

• Disagree
Reactions: bawbie

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Iowa State way! (whatever that means)

His style is similar to Eustachy in how he berates players. He might be easier on them off the court but geez he is like a mad man on the sidelines. Anybody know if he is like that or worse during practices?

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Was she considered a pretty good recruit when she came?
I believe she was like the #1 or 2 juco recruit in the country of I remember right.. while I wasn't a huge fan of hers, she would have made a big difference when healthy against some of those bigger posts we saw ( I.e. the OSU and TCU girls).

Speaking of that OSU girl (Jensen or something like that) I remembered her a few years ago and didn't think she'd cut it in the big 12, she proved me wrong big time!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Also please call Jenny beranchek at drake and yes I am fully aware I just misspelled her name horribly. She can flat out coach and I don’t care that she went to Iowa. We are way past that in life.

Just call her Lillis, easier to spell. ;)

Edit: She'll be long gone to another P5 school long before we even see an assistant change at ISU. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Also please call Jenny beranchek at drake and yes I am fully aware I just misspelled her name horribly. She can flat out coach and I don’t care that she went to Iowa. We are way past that in life.

The flip side of that is that if we don't try then Baranczyk is probably bound for Iowa when Bluder retires. At least reach out to Brenda Frese and see if she wants to come home.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The flip side of that is that if we don't try then Baranczyk is probably bound for Iowa when Bluder retires. At least reach out to Brenda Frese and see if she wants to come home.

Neither the Iowa or the ISU job is opening up anytime soon for Mrs. Drake and she'll be at some other P5 school within the next year or two IMHO. And Frese is not leaving Maryland unless the wheels fall off her program and I don't see that happening.

Nothing will change at ISU unless we miss the NCAA's like three or four years in a row. Then it might be a "maybe". Just one of those things I don't particularly like but have no voice in influencing.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Neither the Iowa or the ISU job is opening up anytime soon for Mrs. Drake and she'll be at some other P5 school within the next year or two IMHO. And Frese is not leaving Maryland unless the wheels fall off her program and I don't see that happening.

Nothing will change at ISU unless we miss the NCAA's like three or four years in a row. Then it might be a "maybe". Just one of those things I don't particularly like but have no voice in influencing.

I don't think Frese would be interested either. I just worry about being able to attract a quality candidate after a few more years of stagnation. Our fan support will still have its appeal, but there doesn't seem to be much excitement around the program anymore.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I really don't know what to make of this one.

Thought she,was overjoyed coming in, especially the height factor.

what does mutual decision mean?....

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I must not have been watching the same player many of you were. I thought she could bang a little and block out and take up space but other than that I saw nothing. She could not stay with posts or other frontline players that had a little quickness. Bad defender. They would drive right by her and then she would foul on a made bucket. She was too heavy and out of shape, especially early in the season. I bet 50% of her low post moves got blocked. I do not see her transfer as a loss.

I'm more concerned with Bills recruiters identifying her as someone that could help us.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Very best of wishes to Bride.

I grew to like her fire and Poppen-esque floor presence. My first reaction to watching Bride was: Can't say I am super impressed - https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/th...ate-watch-live-monday-3-00-pm-march-6.227117/ She was well-regarded as a JUCO and had a place here. Water over the dam now and agree mitten1975 that I have no idea what the worth is in transferring. If she plays again it will be at her fourth school.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
The “mutual decision” phrase is heavy handed nonsense. It says so much about BF and the state of his program.

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Pretty sure Frese is making more than Bill even. I don't think the A.D. will throw that kind of money at wbb. Baranczyck is a young up & coming coach. She's winning at Drake that a pretty solid accomplishment.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I must not have been watching the same player many of you were. I thought she could bang a little and block out and take up space but other than that I saw nothing. She could not stay with posts or other frontline players that had a little quickness. Bad defender. They would drive right by her and then she would foul on a made bucket. She was too heavy and out of shape, especially early in the season. I bet 50% of her low post moves got blocked. I do not see her transfer as a loss.

I'm more concerned with Bills recruiters identifying her as someone that could help us.

Bill has offered a lot of great post players. They went elsewhere. They have been rolling the dice on posts for a few classes now.